hatshepsut question (1 Viewer)

lis86

Hi,

This is the only stuff I could find on marriage, i didn't know we needed to know about it, there isn't much. This is from my textbook, you probably have it to, it's Pamela Bradley. It says:

When Hatshepsut married her half-brother, Thutmose 11, she was probably very young-perhaps as young as 12, certainly no older than 15.

Although she may have believed, even in childhood, that she deserved to wear the double crown in her own right, there is no evidence that while her husband was alive, she was anything other than a conventional queen consort. There are atleast 3 pieces of evidence to support this:
1. There was nothing unusual in her titles- Kings Daughter, Kings sister, Gods Wife of Amun, and Kings Great Wife.
2. She ordered the ocnstruction of a tomb, suitable for a queen, hidden away in a valley several kilometres from the Valley of the Kings
3.She is shown on a stela standing in "approved wifely fashion" behind her mother, Ahmose, and her husband Thutmose11, who is facing Re.

You could probably talk about their daughter, and how Thutmose 111 wasn't her son. There is a good quote by Tyldesley that this sitaution was "unprecedented: Hatshepsut was being called upon to act as regent for a boy who was not her son". This has led historians to think Hatshepsut would not have tolerated such a situation.

All this stuff is on page 281 I hope it helped a little i don't know, i doubt they'll ask a question on marriage. I guess you could also talk about how she disregarded Thutmose 11 reign and counted her reign from her fathers. Let me know if you need anything else, doing this stuff helps me learn it too!! :D :D
See ya

kimmy5

ok i'm assuming you're looking at last years hsc questions. i wouldn't waste my time looking at the ancient and modern interpretations.... i highly doubt they'll ask the same question.

bettsythecow

Hatshepsut -

I do believe all info about marriage goes under the dot point about Background

also in relation to modern and ancient interpretations:
Deir el bahri and obelisks are ancient
Bradley, Jennifer lawless and who ever wrote your text book are all classed as modern

hope I helped and Good luck

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmy5
ok i'm assuming you're looking at last years hsc questions. i wouldn't waste my time looking at the ancient and modern interpretations.... i highly doubt they'll ask the same question.
its always useful to include modern and ancient sources, regradless of the question:D

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
thank you SO MUCH lis... i can not thank you enough! i dont have that in my textbook, so yeah , it was very helpful. i had the same general stuff but basically the wording of the dot point threw me off... 'marriage' amidst all these 'relationship with...' etc etc's. made me wonder if i was missing something. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! xoxox

lis86

No worries!

You could probably also mention the fact that it was strange that Thutmose III didn't marry Nefurere. I doubt it would come up though! Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)