hast test prep + selective application (1 Viewer)

hshshs

HSC
Hi, I'm in year 9 and applying for year 10 in girra, hornsby, and baulko. I applied to sghs, baulko, and girra last year, and I gave the hast. fyi, I had moved from the US 2 months before giving the hast, and applied as soon as I arrived. I did about 2 weeks of test prep for hast from notes edu, and got top 10% for math and top 25% for reading and writing, but i absolutely bombed the abstract reasoning 😭

I had a lot of extracurriculars in my application last year (like 10-15), and since the US has a different grading system, I had 96+ in all my subjects. Sydney girls and baulko don't ask for hast, but I still didn't get in, prob because my grades were from the US.
This year I've been prepping months ahead, and my grades for term 2 last year are half A's and half B's (less important subjects tho like music), but I'm kinda nervous about these.

This year I chose my subjects so they're better. I haven't gotten all my marks back yet, but so far an A for science, A for accelerated maths (kinda my best subject- like a 97 average), A for geo, A for pdhpe, B for english (one mark away ugh) and I have to get my marks for pass, commerce, and history, but I think I can get an A for these, or at least two A's. I want to get a bit of an idea of whether these marks are ok and worth giving a try? I know they're not that great so I wanted to get an idea.

My extracurriculars are the same, I did a lot such as knockout basketball team, cross country zones, school age champion for 15's swimming, volleyball squad, amc distinction last year, academic effort award last year, vocal ensemble, 1st in the stage 4 school public speaking comp last year, debate team, etc.

For hast prep currently, I'm trying to focus a lot on abstract reasoning, because that's definitely my weak point. I'd appreciate any tips for practice questions for hast abstract reasoning and prep material for any other subject too! fyi, my school is not that great, but it's one of the higher ranked non-selective public schools if that makes a difference...?
Just want to get an idea from anyone who's done this of whether my application is competitive. Sorry for writing a lot lol!

xiiaomei

HSC
N/A
UCAT abstract reasoning!!!! there are so many of those practice resources online and they are pretty challenging! i did the hast last for entry in yr 9 aswell and the questions are very similiar so yeah! i cant believe that you got such high percentiles but still didn't make it in? also asking aswell for more resources, how did u study for the hast test because im planning to take it again this year, because i can't find good enough notes or questions that kinda relate to hast ykwim!?

clive guo

HSC
Hi, I'm in year 9 and applying for year 10 in girra, hornsby, and baulko. I applied to sghs, baulko, and girra last year, and I gave the hast. fyi, I had moved from the US 2 months before giving the hast, and applied as soon as I arrived. I did about 2 weeks of test prep for hast from notes edu, and got top 10% for math and top 25% for reading and writing, but i absolutely bombed the abstract reasoning 😭

I had a lot of extracurriculars in my application last year (like 10-15), and since the US has a different grading system, I had 96+ in all my subjects. Sydney girls and baulko don't ask for hast, but I still didn't get in, prob because my grades were from the US.
This year I've been prepping months ahead, and my grades for term 2 last year are half A's and half B's (less important subjects tho like music), but I'm kinda nervous about these.

This year I chose my subjects so they're better. I haven't gotten all my marks back yet, but so far an A for science, A for accelerated maths (kinda my best subject- like a 97 average), A for geo, A for pdhpe, B for english (one mark away ugh) and I have to get my marks for pass, commerce, and history, but I think I can get an A for these, or at least two A's. I want to get a bit of an idea of whether these marks are ok and worth giving a try? I know they're not that great so I wanted to get an idea.

My extracurriculars are the same, I did a lot such as knockout basketball team, cross country zones, school age champion for 15's swimming, volleyball squad, amc distinction last year, academic effort award last year, vocal ensemble, 1st in the stage 4 school public speaking comp last year, debate team, etc.

For hast prep currently, I'm trying to focus a lot on abstract reasoning, because that's definitely my weak point. I'd appreciate any tips for practice questions for hast abstract reasoning and prep material for any other subject too! fyi, my school is not that great, but it's one of the higher ranked non-selective public schools if that makes a difference...?
Just want to get an idea from anyone who's done this of whether my application is competitive. Sorry for writing a lot lol!
my brother failed james ruse in year 10 but his results were alot worse because hes stupid so id say you have a chance also the selective schools put three of their own students into the applicant mix to do the edutests with you guys kinda like imposters and you have to beat all of them first before they even look at your application

hshshs

HSC
UCAT abstract reasoning!!!! there are so many of those practice resources online and they are pretty challenging! i did the hast last for entry in yr 9 aswell and the questions are very similiar so yeah! i cant believe that you got such high percentiles but still didn't make it in? also asking aswell for more resources, how did u study for the hast test because im planning to take it again this year, because i can't find good enough notes or questions that kinda relate to hast ykwim!?
Same, I used UCAT as well! I've been doing a lot of abstract reasoning questions from different books I bought off Amazon and other places. The main thing is that I can't really find middle of the sequence questions, which I think are on the test? (It was on the hast practice test that I bought off acer). Sorry, this is really specific but I really want to be sure I can do good on abstract this year!

hshshs

HSC
my brother failed james ruse in year 10 but his results were alot worse because hes stupid so id say you have a chance also the selective schools put three of their own students into the applicant mix to do the edutests with you guys kinda like imposters and you have to beat all of them first before they even look at your application
Oh wow, but ruse is really competitive anyways. Oh and that's interesting, I didn't know about the students getting put in the application mix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)