• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

hast acer how well do you have to do (1 Viewer)

cheesy toast

HSC
hii i'm trying to get into caringbah high and im wondering how well you have to do to probably get shortlisted... do you probably have to get around 90s for each test or will getting 70-80 suffice? (cuz for reading and math i think 90s isn't that bad but for like abstract reasoning it may be tricky) also do they take your mean for all papers? btw in the writing part, will there be 2 prompts - one discursive and one narrative - or just one?

fart

HSC
N/A
hii i'm trying to get into caringbah high and im wondering how well you have to do to probably get shortlisted... do you probably have to get around 90s for each test or will getting 70-80 suffice? (cuz for reading and math i think 90s isn't that bad but for like abstract reasoning it may be tricky) also do they take your mean for all papers? btw in the writing part, will there be 2 prompts - one discursive and one narrative - or just one?
i've done the caringbah hast test and for year 8-10 they rarely take someone. when i tried out they said they weren't taking anyone unless someone at the end of the year was moving, but you'd probably get an interview maybe if you got at least 90 percentile in all imo, cuz i doubt they'd want to lose a student that ranked pretty high than other candidates. also, it's only one writing task, it was a discursive one when i did it but it might vary, but the theme was like 'sport is only fun when you win' or something like that.

what do you mean by "do they take the mean for all your papers?"

i don't think you should apply to caringbah but u can do whatever, it says on their website they took only 17 through out the 4 year groups, but most of them were probably from year 11 so maybe 2 people from year 7-9 actually made it in.

cheesy toast

HSC
woahh thanks for replying! damn that's too bad... caringbah is probably my only option cuz i dont wanna travel an hour to get to school :/ oh well maybe i'll just try my luck and see how it goes

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
What you you applying for? Caringbah takes around 10 for year 11 entry unless more people leave and for all the other years it’s basically only if someone leaves (this is the same for every selective). I cant comment on 8-10 entry but I do know for year 11 entry roughly what scores they accept

fart

HSC
N/A
woahh thanks for replying! damn that's too bad... caringbah is probably my only option cuz i dont wanna travel an hour to get to school :/ oh well maybe i'll just try my luck and see how it goes
do you live in the shire area? have you thought about st george girls highschool as they tend to accept more students. i knew like 2 girls who got accepted for year 9 entry this last year. tempe is alright aswell, they're partial and their selective class is pretty advanced

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
It depends on the competition and how other people do it. Cause, in the end, your marks are a rank as a percentage (top 10% etc) so if you do badly in something other people are likely to do badly too. But abstract reasoning in my opinion is the hardest to get high because everyone does amazing, so if you even get one or two questions wrong you can get screwed over. I got near the top 5% for math and near the top 10% overall for my HAST (Abstract Screwed me over) last year but Penrith had so many people trying out I got reserved. Also, people don't take this into account but make sure you put a lot of thought into the order you pick your schools, I would have easily made it into Sydney Technical but they only offered spots to people that put them first on their list even if they got less HAST scores than the people that put the school second. Also A Tip (I didn't use this): I was thinking after my writing test there were no specific forms they told me I had to write in eg essay, narrative, or discursive. So I could have easily written a poem, it would have been unique and would have taken less time but I don't know if It would be a good option, someone fact check me. But it would definitely separate you from others, to everyone that is not in year 9 or 10 and is doing HAST I would say you try a unique form of writing and see how you go cause 20 minutes is not a lot of time to write a good story or discursive. But in year 9 or 10 I wouldn't do this cause these are the last two tries you going to get.

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
It depends on the competition and how other people do it. Cause, in the end, your marks are a rank as a percentage (top 10% etc) so if you do badly in something other people are likely to do badly too. But abstract reasoning in my opinion is the hardest to get high because everyone does amazing, so if you even get one or two questions wrong you can get screwed over. I got near the top 5% for math and near the top 10% overall for my HAST (Abstract Screwed me over) last year but Penrith had so many people trying out I got reserved. Also, people don't take this into account but make sure you put a lot of thought into the order you pick your schools, I would have easily made it into Sydney Technical but they only offered spots to people that put them first on their list even if they got less HAST scores than the people that put the school second. Also A Tip (I didn't use this): I was thinking after my writing test there were no specific forms they told me I had to write in eg essay, narrative, or discursive. So I could have easily written a poem, it would have been unique and would have taken less time but I don't know if It would be a good option, someone fact check me. But it would definitely separate you from others, to everyone that is not in year 9 or 10 and is doing HAST I would say you try a unique form of writing and see how you go cause 20 minutes is not a lot of time to write a good story or discursive. But in year 9 or 10 I wouldn't do this cause these are the last two tries you going to get.
Also there are two sets of papers a school could order, one with 2 writings and one with 1. But the one with 1 set of writing is the most common.

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
do you live in the shire area? have you thought about st george girls highschool as they tend to accept more students. i knew like 2 girls who got accepted for year 9 entry this last year. tempe is alright aswell, they're partial and their selective class is pretty advanced
Tempe is easy to get into. I got In, but I had to reject it cause I live way too far away. I don't even know why I applied.

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
If you want resources for your HAST, message me I'll send them to you.

fart

HSC
N/A
idk i heard this from a few people during the selective school entrance for year 7 but apparently schools are stricter on poems, so if u write a poem that is not very good then they'll mark u down a lot more than a short story. but im also not 100% sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)