• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Has anyone started their prelims yet? (1 Viewer)

tessa05

HSC
Don’t have any tips but I’m in the exact same boat for physics, focused way too hard on maths and now I’m facing the consequences 😭
my friend who did physics said the test was very doable and it was one of his easiest exams so I think you'll be okay

carrotsss

HSC
my friend who did physics said the test was very doable and it was one of his easiest exams so I think you'll be okay
That’s relieving, thanks. Although I’ll probably still be screwed because there’s a bunch of stuff I just don’t understand because I didn’t try hard enough during the year 😪

I guess I should probably get back to studying instead of procrastinating on bos haha

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
oh damn,,,, how was that?? i hate afternoon exams so much bc then i spend the whole morning freaking out
I was so happy when my timetable showed it was all morning exams... until the new public holiday got announced and my morning Thursday exam got moved to Wednesday afternoon right after another exam I have 😭😭😭

carrotsss

HSC
I love bio 😳 studying for maths advanced just feels pointless since I do mx1, but I don't want to go in feeling overconfident.
Yeah I feel like doing extension makes advanced feel so easy, I just did a couple past papers for advanced before my test and felt more than confident.

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah advanced really does just feel so basic, I feel like it's not much different from the content learnt in year 10.
Yeah agreed, I honestly think I did worse in year 10 because I didn’t take it seriously at all haha

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Yeah agreed, I honestly think I did worse in year 10 because I didn’t take it seriously at all haha
I go to a low-ranking public school, so most students don't take maths very seriously..... I've always ranked first and always gotten 100% or very close to it in years 7-10, which I think has set unrealistic expectations for myself going into senior years :( rip

dsakvyilsa

HSC
I also go to a low ranking (catholic) school, and yeah I can agree with that. I barely put any effort in year 7-10 maths and I’m pretty sure I was top 10 at the end out of 200 even though I completely bombed yearlies and got like 70%… nobody really tried, even in the top maths class there were dropkicks who failed. People seem to have picked up their game for senior years, but so have I so I guess that kinda helped me avoid the unrealistic expectations.

The roughest situation seems to be people with parents who are used to seeing their kids get straight As and then all of a sudden they can’t effortlessly get straight As and their parents get super mad about it, having all that pressure and parental expectations sounds really tough. :(
Yeah, I personally don't necessarily have a lot of parental pressure (though they obviously don't want me to fail, and as I'm from a low-income background, they want me to live a more fulfilling life than they have had), mainly pressure and expectations from myself. Going from years 7-10 where I could pretty easily get A's and win first in subject (I did have some competition, but not much), to doing prelims right now which are obviously a lot more challenging has been a bit of an eye-opener for me. I think these exams so far have definitely made me realise I really need to improve my study methods, rather than just relying on having a pretty good memory like I always have in the past. I'm dreading my marks for these exams haha (except maybe english advanced, I think I did really well in that one 🥳). I know that prelims don't matter towards your HSC, but I personally need to do well as my school gives out a decently large monetary prize to the dux of year 11, which would greatly aid me in going to uni.

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah, I personally don't necessarily have a lot of parental pressure (though they obviously don't want me to fail, and as I'm from a low-income background, they want me to live a more fulfilling life than they have had), mainly pressure and expectations from myself. Going from years 7-10 where I could pretty easily get A's and win first in subject (I did have some competition, but not much), to doing prelims right now which are obviously a lot more challenging has been a bit of an eye-opener for me. I think these exams so far have definitely made me realise I really need to improve my study methods, rather than just relying on having a pretty good memory like I always have in the past. I'm dreading my marks for these exams haha (except maybe english advanced, I think I did really well in that one 🥳).
Good job on doing well in english, wish I could say the same for myself 😂

Agree on the study methods, in junior years you could scrape a good result by just having good memory and common sense a lot of the time, definitely not the same now that we’re in year 11. It’s kinda crazy to think of the contrast between how I would just chill and play games before exams as a junior compared to spamming past papers and grinding for hours this year, although I definitely think it’s been for the better as it has improved my self discipline a lot.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Good job on doing well in english, wish I could say the same for myself 😂

Agree on the study methods, in junior years you could scrape a good result by just having good memory and common sense a lot of the time, definitely not the same now that we’re in year 11. It’s kinda crazy to think of the contrast between how I would just chill and play games before exams as a junior compared to spamming past papers and grinding for hours this year, although I definitely think it’s been for the better as it has improved my self discipline a lot.
Definitely, I think these prelims have served as a great wake-up call for some of us, especially people like you and I that attend lower ranking schools. I think the shock of these exams has motivated me to work a lot harder going into year 12.

fx82au

HSC
mainly pressure and expectations from myself
honestly same. In year 10 I would come first with minimal study, and like 3 days before an exam I would quickly read over the textbook, and try to cram as much as possible. I have so much more competition rn, and its a very good wakeup call. In my english adv class im legit competing with the whole class, as everyone in the class are good at the subject.

I guess im gonna have to really no-life year 12 -_-

dsakvyilsa

HSC
honestly same. In year 10 I would come first with minimal study, and like 3 days before an exam I would quickly read over the textbook, and try to cram as much as possible. I have so much more competition rn, and its a very good wakeup call. In my english adv class im legit competing with the whole class, as everyone in the class are good at the subject.

I guess im gonna have to really no-life year 12 -_-
Sounds pretty similar to my english class, we literally have 7 people in the class (all girls :) ) and everyone is good at it! It's nice. Same thing as my biology class, 7 or 8 people will be continuing it into year 12 (all girls, yet again) all of which are quite good at it.
My maths advanced has 2 people (including myself), and my mx1 has 7 (it's a cross-campus class)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)