Has anyone here done SIBT? (1 Viewer)

robbie13

HSC
Hi guys,

Went into university yesterday to speak to the Marketing team seeking my degree options further. Anyone here willing to meet up with me to discuss there personal experience in SIBT?

Anyone here done it?

Thanks!

HSC
Hi Robbie,
Two of my sisters have been through the SIBT Program/Course. Sure, it is fairly expensive, but in the long run it is definitely worth it in the long run. For example, a few years ago my sister was only receiving a very low salary in the occupation which she was in at the time. Last week she secured a job at CBA with a salary of 110k plus super. That being said, they still had to work hard at Uni, etc... Going to SIBT does not ensure a good job in the future (like with an education or training) however it can be very beneficial process.

robbie13

HSC
Thank you for the reply Anthony. How did your sisters find the SIBT Program/Course? I can understand the fairly large costs for the program as it is very well enhanced with plenty of student assistance. Wow! $110k+super is fantastic achievement!

Were they offered anything else before SIBT?

HSC
Ahh, to be honest, I'm not really sure how they found SIBT, but it didn't really matter. The purpose of SIBT was to simply just get them into their desired university degrees.

HSC
Oh, and they weren't offered anything (well, I don't think so anyway). I'm pretty sure they applied for the course/program.

robbie13

HSC
Ok thanks, will look into it further Anthony. Would you choose SIBT over Bachelor of Arts? Reason why I am thinking Bachelor of Arts is because I can do a major transfer.

ChrisAC

HSC
i did SIBT first year, now in 3rd year commerce degree. Can answer anything you need to know.

As for your above question there is a few things to take into consideration

SIBT in general is easier (in commerce anyway) than uni courses. They are catered to international students so alot of things are "dumbed down" to allow easier understanding (which I enjoyed as i was a nervous first year student anyway). You learn the same stuff but the lecturers have the mindset that english is everyone's second language and they need to use simpler language and/or explain things in simpler ways. With good reason too - some classes of 30ish i was the only local/aussie student. Another thing making it easier is that attendance is required and recorded, so you are forced to attend and forced to learn. Also lectures in SIBT are 3 hours instead of 2 hours in uni. This all makes SIBT easier to pass (the final exams are probably very similar to uni final exams except SIBT makes sure you are better equipped). Also with the "english is a second language" mindset, as a local student you will probably naturally get higher marks in SIBT than you would in uni for the same presentation.

The other upside to SIBT is the fact that all you need is pretty much the ability to pay for the course and a pass in HSC maths and youre in to SIBT. Was really easy to sign up and didnt have to go through hassles of trying to get into UNI. As someone applying years after my HSC, i didnt want to have to deal with the unpredictability of being accepted as a mature age student (i applied at age 23) where all i had to do was fill out a few forms to get into SIBT, guarantee my spot and not waste any time because the 1 year in SIBT put me straight into 2nd year UNI. I wouldnt really worry about the GPA requirement to move to uni, its a really easy benchmark.

Downside to the decision is definitely the cost. the GVT does not allow SIBT on HECS but allows it in FEE-HELP instead. I dont remember the difference, but FEE-HELP was way worse than HECS, so much so that i paid the 20k or whatever per semester upfront instead of putting it on FEE-HELP (i would have gone on HECS if it was available and i am on HECS for 2nd and 3rd year)

So therefore if the cost is a concern for you, do the arts degree and transfer. If you want to have an easier first year and pretty much a guaranteed entry to 2nd year commerce at MQ, do SIBT.

Last edited:

robbie13

HSC
I can't thank you enough Chris for sharing all that information with me about SIBT. Thanks, much appreciated.

How are you finding your 3rd year? One part I didn't understand is you said you have to pass in HSC Maths. Can you explain that bit? I was told that the GVT allow FEE-HELP which is pretty much the same thing as HECS from what I was told. Do I have to pay upfront? Hmmmm... If you can rephrase what you said that would be great.

Would you say the B.Arts and transfer would be a better option?

Anymore information you can share from your experience would be awesome. I still haven't made my mind up and will give it a long hard think over the Christmas break.

ChrisAC

HSC
Im pretty sure if you got 50 in the HSC in 2u maths thats the requirement to get into SIBT commerce. I got 57 in 2u maths so if u beat me than its not a problem (yea i really didnt care about the hsc lol)

not really an expert on this but from what I understand
The amount you borrow from FEE HELP will be more than HECS because SIBT is not subsidised by the gvt
FEE HELP has a 25% loan fee whereas HECS i dont think has a fee (could be wrong)

You dont have to pay upfront but there are discounts and benefits if you make a contribution. You should probably check out the paperwork yourself on that stuff.

If you are confident academically and are able to just choose all of the first year commerce units whilst enrolled for the arts degree, I would do that. I was happy doing SIBT though as it allowed me to ease back into education easier. If for any reason (that i cant think of) you are forced to do some random units in the arts degree that wont contribute to the commerce degree then i'd probably go to SIBT because you might be wasting money doing random units you dont need anyway

ChrisAC

HSC
As for other information from my experience:

Most courses involve group work and as most students are internationals, you will learn from experience that it can be very frustrating working with the internationals. As a student searching for 85+ in each course alot of the time it meant that you are better off just doing the work yourself. This can be the same experience in uni though, although uni has more local students theres still a very high percentage of internationals. Its mean saying this but most of the time they drag you down (although some locals can drag you down and dedicated internationals can be very helpful) so most of the time i was searching for other local students to team up with in SIBT so I didnt have to do the assignments myself and/or didnt have to REDO their work.

in SIBT in the accounting and finance courses they have made dedicated workbooks that no one receives in uni. They are much easier to learn from (lecture material and examples/homework/tutorial work all in the same book). In uni all the content would be mixed up between lecture slides and a textbook whereas with SIBT you knew everything in the final exam came from this one book that you could solely study from. Although the SIBT exams were probably similar in content to the UNI exams, it meant the SIBT exam was easier because SIBT narrowed down what you had to study whereas generally in uni courses they probably tell you to study the whole relevant chapters in the textbook.

I understood lectures much easier in SIBT than in uni. Firstly the lectures are 3 hours instead of 2 hours in uni, meaning they can do it at a slower pace, use more examples, and make sure everyone understands. In uni, lecture theatres hold hundreds of people, in SIBT i think its 40 people max. It actually makes quite a difference. eg if you dont understand something in uni, you might feel awkward holding up a 150+ lecture theatre full of people just because you didnt understand something. If its 40 people i never hesitated to ask the lecturer to explain something again and also as a local student if you didnt understand it, chances are the rest of the SIBT class didnt understand it.

The big downside to my experience was the perception that SIBT students are "lower class". Although learning was easier i couldnt wait to move to uni so that i could call myself a uni student. Felt a little embarrassed saying i went to SIBT. Alot of the internationals feel the same way. At the start of the semester they give out free SIBT shirts to students. You rarely saw anyone wearing them, ever.

robbie13

HSC
The exact information I was looking for, appreciate you clearing up on the FEE-HELP/HECS. Thanks heaps Chris. How do I know what is going to be the first year Commerce units? I'd be guessing off the top of my head to be honest. I don't want to do the Arts degree and find out that it wasn't beneficial in my major transfer to B.Com.

Last edited:

ChrisAC

HSC
Youll want to do

Finance (ACST101)
Marketing (MKTG101)
Accounting (ACCG100 or ACCG106)
Business management (BBA102)
Microeconomics (ECON111)

The other first year units depend on your degree. For example with accounting i would round out my 8 first year courses with Accounting level 2, statistics and an elective.

what were you looking to major in?

robbie13

HSC
Major in International Business. I can’t do a ACCG subject because I was unable to meet the admission criteria for the BCOM or BCOM-prof ACCG degrees. Those other commerce units I am able to choose Chris.

robbie13

HSC
Ok thanks, will do. Had a look at the 100 level units as I am well aware they need to be done (pre-requisites) before the 200 level units can be studied. What do you mean by the 2 electives? Is that the People and Planet units?

Will get back to you on the last question!

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)