Has anyone ever...... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
......taken their laptop to uni, connected to the internet (with their unipass) and downloaded a sh1tload of stuff? I'm thinking about giving this a go when I walk into the pearly gates of UNSW this sem (since I have destroyed my download cap recently)...

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
......taken their laptop to uni, connected to the internet (with their unipass) and downloaded a sh1tload of stuff? I'm thinking about giving this a go when I walk into the pearly gates of UNSW this sem (since I have destroyed my download cap recently)...
Do NOT do that, you will wreck it for everybody else, they have already issued strict
warnings.

Don't be an idiot and abuse the system.

We have it very good at UNSW, I don't even use a laptop and i've never used the uniwide thing, but its very selfish to ruin it for everybody else.

Once again; DONT DO IT.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
It's speed limited for external sites. You fail.

GaNeSh

HSC
It's speed limited for external sites. You fail.
What is it limited to? 50-100kbs isn't slow in my book, for example.

To Omium:
Notice the question was "has anyone ever..etc"? and not "what do you think of the ethical issues arising from etc...." :)
I appreciate your concerns, however I have very little regard for fellow students or the university itself (why the bloody hell should I?).

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
What is it limited to? 50-100kbs isn't slow in my book, for example.

To Omium:
Notice the question was "has anyone ever..etc"? and not "what do you think of the ethical issues arising from etc...." :)
I appreciate your concerns, however I have very little regard for fellow students or the university itself (why the bloody hell should I?).
Hahahaha.... That made me laugh for some reason. Probably because you were honest.

But seriously though, you are a prick.

Your question for a start has already been answered by an article awhile back in the SMH about how every idiot with a laptop at our university has tried downloading stuff.

Go ahead and download shit. I actually want you to try and download as much as you can for as long as you want. It'll just make the IT guys' task to catch you easier so we'll have one less leecher like you off our network afterwards.

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
As tallkid said the smh published an article on how students were downloading copyrighted material off the uni network. The uni knows this problem well and may start cracking down on students this year. The motto is use it, don't abuse it.

If you want to download movies and music do it in your own home. Its not worth losing the privelege of free wireless internet across the campus.

Understand the fact that they will fine you if you do not comply.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
As others have said you'll lose your internet privileges when they catch you and be fined if you're downloading movies or software

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Has anyone ever......

i like what you're thinking there...

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
The IT department did issue warnings, but with the proviso that they would begin charging students to access the network. Knowing UNSW and their now precarious financial state, this sounds more like a pretext to begin charging students in the near future anyway. Don't abuse it and they won't have their excuse.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
If by chance u wanna download something, use torrents, its very very very hard for them to find out if someone's downloading, if ur using torrents. There is NO chance that u will be caught and fined/banned from uniwide (make sure ur connected to heaps of peers).

That should be ur 10th priority, first priority would be to not download, the middle 8 are blank.

Utubing is fine, no one really cares about that, but hardcore warez downloads are a big phat no-no.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
i have to disagree. Anyone moving a large amount of data through the university network while establishing a large number of connections will be taken notice of. Preventive measures that the IT department could start doing is blocking ports, but thats only the beginning.

If the university reserves the right to inspect the information travelling across its network it can use deep packet inspection, which allows it to identify the material moving across the tubes. You can use encryption, but nothing is bulletproof.

GaNeSh

HSC
So....its a "yes" to torrents then? :)

Oh, and it is my final semester, so I truly don't care if they take away the free wireless (as if they would just because of one rogue student anyway).

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC

Oh, and it is my final semester, so I truly don't care if they take away the free wireless (as if they would just because of one rogue student anyway).
I hope you get caught and they delay your graduation, hahaha.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

Yeah cause you're an asshole

GaNeSh

HSC
This thread just reaffirms why I truly think most people who go to UNSW are wankers. I may very well have met some of you and hoped to God that I wouldn't see you in one of my lectures and have the discomfort of sitting next to you.

If you have nothing useful to say, then rack off. This thread was for anyone who has tried this, I wasn't looking for a lesson in ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)