Has anyone encountered this book? it's fantastic! haha! (1 Viewer)

InFlames_666

"Eat's, shoots and leaves"- The zero tolerance approach to punctuation. (Lynne Russ)

This book is absolutely fantastic! who would've thought that a book occupied with the importance of punctuation, could be so amusing and humourous! i recieved it as a present today, off my extension english teacher for "putting up with her" which, is her direct wording ..lol anyways, it's a mad book! i highly recommend it if you are seeking an alternative read with a bit of intellectual stimulation attached! here is the books back-cover blurb.. it mad me crack up in hysterics!

A panda wlaks into a cafe. He orders a sandwhich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"why?" aks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda" he says, at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"PANDA: A large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

chepas

HSC
HAHA!

Yeah, my old French teacher just finished it and highly recommended it to me. Apparently something in their about how emails etc are rather horrible to try and communicate because they can't convey tone and voice of person etc... A really vaild point because I missed the point entirely in an email where she was being really sarcastic and it just didn't click with me.

Shall be on the list of purchases...

InFlames_666

HAHA! yeah its a scream! I haven't been able to put it down! just the way she relates it to humourous elements that we can all identify with personally makes you chuckle uncontrollably! its a must have..hehe

Groagy

HSC
I bought it as one of my book prizes for presentation night but haven't been able to read it yet as I had to take my books into school. But the teacher organising the book prizes read the blurb on the back as well and told me she thought it was funny.

Jase

HSC
I bought this book out of impulse and because of that joke... all i can say is that i get bored really easily and I'm not really THAT into grammar and apostrophes.
*2 stars out of 5*

Mabye if she cut down on the apostrophe and comma sticklerising, and put some more funny english and engrish signs, i would have found it much more appreciable. Mabye i'm just shallow. I do strongly believe in perfect grammar and punctuation, but a whole book about it.. it's not worth the trouble.

Funny thing was, when I bought it, I was actaully looking for a copy of Fight Club. haha..

malkin86

HSC
I like it very much (and my mum got it for a present for me a while back... my little brother stole it but now I have it back again) - now if only the author would write a sequel that deals with other grammar... :)

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
another book - its not only on grammar an punctuation but on the whole english language which i tthought was pretty funny and interesting :)

"The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson

Moonshadow

~*Almost Here*~
HSC
InFlames_666 said:
A panda wlaks into a cafe. He orders a sandwhich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"why?" aks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda" he says, at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"PANDA: A large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves"
Absolutely hilarious! My mum has the book and she loves it (I haven't had a chance to read it yet, she lent it to my ancient history teacher). BTW there is another book, it's called "Accommodating Brocolli in the Cemetary - or why can't anybody spell?" and it's by Vivian Cook. According to the book jacket, it is a 'celebration of spelling'. Check it out. :)

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
such a rip off of the australian saying, 'men are just like Koalas. Eats Roots and Leaves..'

..and ours is so much better :p

veridis

droog
HSC
i found this book to dense and as someone said before sticklerises too much to read all at once. if you read it one chapter at a time over a few months in between other books its real good though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)