Harwood's 'At Mornington' (1 Viewer)

clerisy

HSC
Can anyone give me some ideas for critical readings of "At Mornington"? I have an assessment, and this is the one Harwood poem that I don't have any clue where to begin. I can't see it as a very debateable poem...

caroline86

first stanza - prompted memory, reminds her of her innocence as a child and her normal relationship with her father
second stanza - she questions the power and significance of memory and how it is triggered
third stanza - the pumpkins act as a parable of herself (earthly story with a heavenly meaning) and she ponders death of herself
fourth stanza - a dream makes her think of the friendship she has and how much she values it and how it refreshes her
fifth stanza - after being reminded of her great friendship, she is comforted and thinks of death no more yet is accepting that death is inevitable.

Divya Lakshmi

HSC
can soneone please giv me ideas n details of the readin i could use please

redspit

HSC
twisted_baybeeh said:
are there any other readings for the poem other then psychoanalytic?
Christian perspective
Father could be code for god ;)

You could always study it in the Dominant reading:
Remembering things from the past whilst visiting her friend's parents grave. - which is the obvious "storyline"

Marxist Reading:
When the Subject is young her father is her protector "secure in my father's arms"
but when she is faced with death she realises he is no longer there to protect her.
"When I am seized at last... ...Which no hand will save me"
Ermm I don't know if that is exactly a Marxist Reading. But it could work :p

Hope this was helpful.

redspit

HSC
twisted_baybeeh said:
are there any other readings for the poem other then psychoanalytic?
OH!!

I'm pretty sure romantic can be applied.
Have you got notes on romantic readings?
"reminising on childhood, nature, memories"

It can also be read from a spiritual perspective.

Have they given you any of those printed notes called...contextualising harwood? The one with the best pointers about 'at mornington' is the one titled 'a close contextual reading of gwen harwood by william simon, reddam house'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)