HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

atreus

HSC
also, it turns out that harry and voldemort were related, distant cousins, and it had nothing to do with slytherin. for some reason, i had thought the ring and the locket were both slytherin's, until i read book7.

i would have liked the epilogue to have a bit more about the rest of the surviving characters, like the other teachers- did mcgonagall become headmistress? but i guess it would have probably ended up like listing a sentence on each of the characters.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Tell yeh what the funniest moment in the whole series was?

When Harry got a parcel from Kreacher, that had the tag:

"To Master, From Kreacher" (lol1)

And there were carefully wrapped maggots in there (lol2)

Hilarious.

WTF good did Snape pretending to be on Voldemort's side do?
Invaluable spy for like...almost everything that happened.

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
GaDaMIt said:
So much stuff has been bugging me the last 24 hrs since I have finished reading

WTF good did Snape pretending to be on Voldemort's side do?

What the hell is so important about Harry's eyes (as JK Rowling stated in many interviews would be found out)

And what is it that Dumbledore saw in the Mirror of Erised (or whatever it's called; somehow Harry understood but I did not :( )

And rofl, I wonder how Emma Watson and Rupert w/e will react to each other knowing they've fucked in the books
Most of these were probably answered but:

1. Do you mean what good it was pretending to be evil after the Order hated him for killing Dumbledore? Because Snape still had to protect Hogwarts students from the Death Eaters.

2. I think the importance of Harry's eyes was revealed when Snape died. He wanted Harry's eyes, or rather Lily's eyes, to be the last thing he saw before he died. Harry's eyes must have been a painful reminder for Snape since the first book. Probably part of the reason he hated Harry so much.

3. Dumbeldore desired to see who had killed his sister, because no one was sure which of the three (Albus, Abeforth, or Grindelwald) had set off the blast that killed Arianna.

4. I really don't want to think about that epilogue. Wonder how they'll do it in the movie.

atreus said:
also, it turns out that harry and voldemort were related, distant cousins, and it had nothing to do with slytherin. for some reason, i had thought the ring and the locket were both slytherin's, until i read book7.
I just had a thought. If Slytherin was an ancestor of the Peverrell brothers, that would mean Harry is related to Slytherin.

Last edited:

jannny

HSC
what is the baby thing for when dumbledore and harry were talking in the end ?

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
I think that might have been Voldemort, but I'm not sure. Because when Harry wakes up again, he realises Voldemort had collapsed, but woke up at the same time he did.

ellen.louise

HSC
jannny said:
"don't pity the dead" as a moral to the story.

It was kind of badly done though because it didn't tie in with the story at all, and it was harry's "hallows" or whatever, so evidently he wanted it to be there? WTF?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
jannny said:
i think that was the small part of voldemort that was in Harry, that fragment that Dumbledore mentions. It was still a part of him in that "dream".

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I always knew Snivellus would turn out to be on Dumbledore's side :eek:

To the doubters: oh snape!

P.S. loved the book up until after Harry defeats Voldy. Wtf was with the 19 years later?

Haecce

HSC
I'm guessing the creation of the Deathly Hallows came well before the founding of Hogwarts - otherwise Harry would have been able to control the Basilisk.

I think it would have been absolutely stupid for Snape to go down in some noble duel, even at 11 he knew he fancied "brains over brawn", as he put it.

I don't think the house of Slytherin is quintessentially evil, but as Harry says to Albus in the Epilogue, if you really want to be in a house, it's your choice. I'm betting that before Voldemort came into power there were not so many negative connotations and Slytherins would have been a more mixed lot, but upon knowing the kind of trash who landed in there upon a preferency for pure blood, who would allow the hat to put them in purely because of ambition or cunning?

Oh and that kid's name was TOTALLY not simply Albus Severus, I'm betting it's more like Albus Severus Sirius Remus Nymphadoro Regulus Kreacher Potter... but, y'know, it's a wee bit of a mouthful to say all that as the train is about to depart.

I lost $10 on Hagrid not dying, but I won $5 on The Quibbler/Lovegoods having more validity than it was credited for.

I think it was important for Harry to finally have a family, to have love. The epilogue was corny (and I could not stop but lol at Scorpius Malfoy), but I do think it improves with every rereading.

The Hermione thing may be a plot hole, but I like to think that there is a difference between wiping someone's memory and giving them completely new ones.

I'll even support the sillyness of Accio Hagrid - like Expelliarmus, Accio is a spell which has had proven success for Harry in the past and one of those he has real aptitude in.

I think killing Fred Weasley was one of the cruelest things she could have done, as it leaves George to run a JOKE shop. I know an important Weasley needed o die, but I think Molly would have had significant enough impact.

And this thread has sort of validated my belief that fan fiction has a way of ruining books. I liked it a lot.

Edit: I think that it would have made no sense for Harry to have mourned every death in DH - Dumbledore had told him for years that Death was not to be feared, as Voldemort had done, for him to be a sadsap over it through the whole book would contradict his actions later on - allowing Voldemort to kill him.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I felt the strongest emotions when Harry's parents, Sirius and Lupin returned using the Stone and supported Harry spiritually and miraculously. Easily one of my favourite sequences. A++++

Otherwise the numerous deaths especially of some of the major protagonists went straight past my head in the book. I literally felt nothing when Fred, Mad Eye, Dobby, Lupin, Tonks and Crabbe died.

Overall 7.5/10. Will read again.

hawkeyesgirl

HSC
i thought the book was good. she could have really destroyed but she didn't. i agree with bobness there was like no connection when most of the characters died. It was so sudden, like one minute their alive and with no explanation (not even later) their dead - which really didn't help the story.

Last edited:

hawkeyesgirl

HSC
Haecce said:
The Hermione thing may be a plot hole, but I like to think that there is a difference between wiping someone's memory and giving them completely new ones.

QUOTE]

what was the hermione thing?

namdog

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Please Explain?: How Ron managed to learn Parseltongue when he'd only heard a bit by Harry
To get in the Chamber of Secrets, you have to say the word "open" in Parseltongue. To open the Locket, Harry said "Open" in Parseltongue.

Ron heard Harrry opening the locket, so Ron would've tried to re-create the sound at the entrance to the Chamber. He was obviously successful.

I hope that's not too confusing.

Last edited:

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
OMG I stayed up til 4:20 this morning re-reading it. Cried my eyes out and got up to the part just before Harry goes into Snape's memories... and I told myself that I needed to sleep...

if you didn't like the book the first time, I strongly advise a re-read. Even with some of the annoying "easy-way-outs" like the Parseltongue thing, now that I'm not rushing through the book - it really is fantastic.

Oh and with Bathilda Bagshot (sp)... oh my god, is it just me or did that part freak out anyone else? I couldn't get to sleep on Saturday cos I was scared shitless thinking about how terrifying that part was (for me, anyway) - how she was actually dead and rotting with Nagini inside her... how the house smelled... ugh. Definitely not a book for the littlies.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
namdog said:
To get in the Chamber of Secrets, you have to say the word "open" in Parseltongue. To open the Locket, Harry said "Open" in Parseltongue.

Ron heard Harrry opening the locket, so Ron would've tried to re-create the sound at the entrance to the Chamber. He was obviously successful.

I hope that's not too confusing.
That's what I - and everyone else who asked the question - figured happened, though like I said, Ron probably spent ten minutes making random hissing noises until he got it right.

T

Testpilot

I can't believe I paused my reading of War and Peace to read that cliched and poorly written ending.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)