HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
-Severus was good.
-He was acting on Dumbledore's orders/wishes.
-He gave Harry his memory-parts he WANTED Harry to see.
-He hated Harry because James was his father, and because of the way he was treated by James. Harry does have Lily's eyes, which reminds Severus of Lily, because if he didn't tell Voldemort of the prophecy she would have been alive [maybe]
-Also if Severus didn't call Lily a Mudblood, he could have been Harry's father...ever thought of that?
-If he gave his memory of Lily by mistake he would have given more stuff by mistake, why was it only the stuff which relates to his love for Lily? You're just trying to make it out like he is still bad, when he isn't.
I don't think Snape is as black/white as you're making him out to be. He's not inherently good nor is he evil.

I think he's one of the most real characters in her books because he's not the hero and he's not scum, he's just been influenced by the many twists of his life as evidenced by all the memories he gave Harry.

I've always liked him because of that.

HSC
Lori. said:
He loved Lily, Lily liked him [as a friend] but the relationship could have been something different, if he didnt insult her.

I don't think Snape is as black/white as you're making him out to be. He's not inherently good nor is he evil.

I think he's one of the most real characters in her books because he's not the hero and he's not scum, he's just been influenced by the many twists of his life as evidenced by all the memories he gave Harry.

I've always liked him because of that.
True. I only tried to make him out to be very good because people are making him look bad. He does alot of things because of certain reasons. But he also makes fun of Neville and used to take points of Gryffindor for no reason, which isn't 'good'

I know he isn't perfect.

JesseRau

HSC
glycerine said:
I don't like that they all got married and lived happily ever after. So I'm ignoring that little '19 years later' epilogue. :s

Re: Epilogue.I think the epilogue tidied it up all too nicely and everyone was a little too happy. The had all faced the worse kinds of tragedy in there teen lives and I think its too optimistic to expect that just because Voldemort died that they could all live happily ever after.Whether or not they had evil to fight, I can imagine that they would all(and mostly Harry) have major issues to work through and it's naive to expect anything otherwise. I didn't mind Harry and Ginny marrying although I don't like that they had so many kids (at that point in the book), it undermined the importance of Harry becoming a godfather..His relationship with Sirius was so strong, that I think Harry's relationship with Teddy should have mirrored that. It wasn't quite enough just to say "oh but he comes over for dinner four nights a week..maybe he should move in". His parents are dead.Where has he been living..if not with Harry?

For me, the ideal ending would be Harry approaching the Hogwarts express with a young Teddy, and being the type of Godfather Sirius was, and providing the stability Harry never had. Perhaps Ginny could br holding a young Albus..and therefor that link could still be provided. That way we could be reminded (through TEddy) that although there is hope and happiness in this new world, the tragedy of Voldemorts reign is not forgotten, and neither are the people who fought and died to overthrow it.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
The epilogue reminds me of when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes because he didn't want to write him anymore. It pretty much guarantees that JKR won't have to write about Harry again, she's wrapped up the story that much.

It's clever in that sense but man did it feel rushed, like there wasn't too much thought put into it.

Plus her editor is shit. There were at least fifteen grammatical/spelling/wrong word use things I picked up.

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
JesseRau said:
glycerine said:
I don't like that they all got married and lived happily ever after. So I'm ignoring that little '19 years later' epilogue. :s
Re: Epilogue.I think the epilogue tidied it up all too nicely and everyone was a little too happy. The had all faced the worse kinds of tragedy in there teen lives and I think its too optimistic to expect that just because Voldemort died that they could all live happily ever after.Whether or not they had evil to fight, I can imagine that they would all(and mostly Harry) have major issues to work through and it's naive to expect anything otherwise. I didn't mind Harry and Ginny marrying although I don't like that they had so many kids (at that point in the book), it undermined the importance of Harry becoming a godfather..His relationship with Sirius was so strong, that I think Harry's relationship with Teddy should have mirrored that. It wasn't quite enough just to say "oh but he comes over for dinner four nights a week..maybe he should move in". His parents are dead.Where has he been living..if not with Harry?

For me, the ideal ending would be Harry approaching the Hogwarts express with a young Teddy, and being the type of Godfather Sirius was, and providing the stability Harry never had. Perhaps Ginny could br holding a young Albus..and therefor that link could still be provided. That way we could be reminded (through TEddy) that although there is hope and happiness in this new world, the tragedy of Voldemorts reign is not forgotten, and neither are the people who fought and died to overthrow it.
But Teddy was already 19 by the epilogue. He wasn't going to Hogwarts anymore. He was there to "see Victoire off". Maybe a scene with Harry and an 11-year-old Teddy, with Ginny holding a young baby James (as James could possibly be their only child at this point), did happen, but it wasn't shown to us. I always assumed Teddy was living with Tonk's mum. After all, her husband and daughter are both dead. She needs someone to be with her as she gets older. I've never been a fan of this whole epilogue idea since I first heard of it. The ending before the epilogue was fine, JK should have left it the way it was. And the pairings just seemed too tidy, you're right. I'm seriously considering ripping those last pages out and pretending they don't exist.

Last edited:

ellen.louise

HSC
This is why learning to ananlyse in english kills stories:

I hated the first chapter SO much. She tried to go for the whole dramatic beginning using all the elaborate sentences etc. and it didn't have the impact she wanted it to.

Got the feeling she was pretty rushed writing this book.

I liked the way she built up the series though: she planted clues where you'd notice them but then forget about them, and she had some really well done character development throughout.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
kate_is_me said:
But Teddy was already 19 by the epilogue. He wasn't going to Hogwarts anymore. He was there to "see Victoire off". Maybe a scene with Harry and an 11-year-old Teddy, with Ginny holding a young baby James (as James could possibly be their only child at this point), did happen, but it wasn't shown to us. I always assumed Teddy was living with Tonk's mum. After all, her husband and daughter are both dead. She needs someone to be with her as she gets older. I've never been a fan of this whole epilogue idea since I first heard of it. The ending before the epilogue was fine, JK should have left it the way it was. And the pairings just seemed too tidy, you're right. I'm seriously considering ripping those last pages out and pretending they don't exist.
The reason she didn't is so she didn't have to write any more books about him.

It's an obvious literary tool that she utilised so she wouldn't be pestered to explain what happened next.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah i got that bit. What i didnt like is how abrupt the real story ended. Like 2 pages after he kills voldy it ends. I would have liked another chapter to rap everything up, see hagrid be happy that harry is still alive, nevil and his grandma hugging, a sexytime reunion with ginny [oh wait, kids book got it] some more celebration yet also sadness over the ones they have lost. A train home [harry would be living at number 12 i assume]
Maybe a big funeral for everyone where they all cry, yet celebrate afterwards because its finally over. Then a few wrapping up things, like some wizarding trials for any death eaters who survived , officially dissolving the houses [ as of the epilogue the houses were still there but i thought they would get rid of them] Harry made minster for magic, or head of the aura department or something. Then a few more years down the track with the marriages, what happens to minor characters [hagrid and olympe have a massive kid? its possible. Also Grawp hooks up with a giantess], Bill's daughter victoire being born etc etc.

It could have been wrapped up so nicely like LOTR but unfortunately all we get is 19 years later. At least we got something and found out about a few of the characters...

JesseRau

HSC
But Teddy was already 19 by the epilogue. He wasn't going to Hogwarts anymore. He was there to "see Victoire off". Maybe a scene with Harry and an 11-year-old Teddy, with Ginny holding a young baby James (as James could possibly be their only child at this point), did happen, but it wasn't shown to us. I always assumed Teddy was living with Tonk's mum. After all, her husband and daughter are both dead. She needs someone to be with her as she gets older. I've never been a fan of this whole epilogue idea since I first heard of it. The ending before the epilogue was fine, JK should have left it the way it was. And the pairings just seemed too tidy, you're right. I'm seriously considering ripping those last pages out and pretending they don't exist.[/QUOTE]

I do realise that TEddy was 19 and that he had already graduated from Hogwarts, all I'm saying is that perhaps an epilogue set earlier and not quite as tidy would be more effective. I don't mind the concept of the epilogue that much, I realise why it had to be done but I do think that it was unbelievable the way everything had turned out seemingly perfect.The terrible experiences they all had would surely have some negative influence on their lives, and while I didn't want the outcome to be miserable, I feel slightly cheated that the personal issues were glossed over.

That being said, the epilogue was virtually my only problem with the book. I really enjoyed it. I suspected that Dumbledore had pre arranged his death with Snape, and I'm really glad that Snape remained the complex character he was, instead of being portrayed as entirely good or evil.

I don't think there could be any ending to Harry Potter that EVERYONe would be pleased with and so I think JKR did the best job possible of resolving the many unanswered questions, even if parts of it were predictable.

T_M_K

HSC
I thought it was great way to finis the series even if most of the would be plot shocks we predicated by fans.

The epliogue was pretty gay, but it wrapped things up for sure. Overall, i thinkthis one was the best of the whole series. I really think the snape thing was the best, i didnt expect them to be so close from childhood.

im gonna miss the book series heaps. it was the best series ive evr read in my life. i hated books as a kid till i read, the first potter book. jk's clearly the attracted so many kids to reading, and that in itself is a great acheivment

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
JesseRau said:

I do realise that TEddy was 19 and that he had already graduated from Hogwarts, all I'm saying is that perhaps an epilogue set earlier and not quite as tidy would be more effective. I don't mind the concept of the epilogue that much, I realise why it had to be done but I do think that it was unbelievable the way everything had turned out seemingly perfect.The terrible experiences they all had would surely have some negative influence on their lives, and while I didn't want the outcome to be miserable, I feel slightly cheated that the personal issues were glossed over.

That being said, the epilogue was virtually my only problem with the book. I really enjoyed it. I suspected that Dumbledore had pre arranged his death with Snape, and I'm really glad that Snape remained the complex character he was, instead of being portrayed as entirely good or evil.

I don't think there could be any ending to Harry Potter that EVERYONe would be pleased with and so I think JKR did the best job possible of resolving the many unanswered questions, even if parts of it were predictable.
Who gives a shit?

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
Finished it yesterday overall fantastic! The middle lagged a bit and there was the whole however many pages where all I was wondering was 'is ron going to turn up again on this page or will it be the next one'. The fight scenes were awesome, athe ending did tie it up nicely though. Might be good to have Scorpious in a one book spin off of him going bad and all the kids of the HP characters going after them.

Fantasticly written and and very suprising!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Neb's awards

Drama: "The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming."
The transfer of Harry to the Burrow
The Battle of Hogwarts

Hilarity: Kreacher leading house elves into battle.
Hilarity 2: "Nutty as a squirrel poo"

WTF-ness: Malfoy's pointless bickering on the most trivial of all matters, her endless, illogical obsession with the character Malfoy.

Sadness: Harry's "final" walk through the forest.
The discovery of Severus Snape (memories, life, etc.)

Favourite moment: Hmmm, can't really pick a favourite. It was all spectacular.

Soap opera: Remus trying to run out on Tonks after being married like, a month.

Predictions which came true: Most, it seems. None of them were that specific. I was gravely wrong about R.A.B. though.

ellen.louise

HSC
Malfoy said:
Malfoy's Awards for HP7

WTF-ness: Ron's fake parseltongue.
WTF-ness 2nd: "Accio Hagrid!"
agreed

predictions that came true:

Voldemort dies (duh!)
Snape/ Lily <3
Dumbledore's death was pre-arranged to save Draco's soul
Draco doesn't like being evil that much: comes back at the end
It was Snape's patronus
Harry will find the Deathly Hallows
Dumbledore was friends with Grindewald
Ginny/Harry mad sex and babies
ditto that for Hermione/Ron
Harry a horcrux

Predictions that didn't:
Wormtail not a horcrux
Harry NOT dead
I didn't cry (I cried during star wars 3: this is a big thing for me)
Neville didn't kill Voldemort

atreus

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Neb's awards

Drama: "The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming."
The transfer of Harry to the Burrow
The Battle of Hogwarts

Hilarity: Kreacher leading house elves into battle.
Hilarity 2: "Nutty as a squirrel poo"

WTF-ness: Malfoy's pointless bickering on the most trivial of all matters, her endless, illogical obsession with the character Malfoy.

Sadness: Harry's "final" walk through the forest.
The discovery of Severus Snape (memories, life, etc.)

Favourite moment: Hmmm, can't really pick a favourite. It was all spectacular.

Soap opera: Remus trying to run out on Tonks after being married like, a month.
i agree.

i predicted that the tiara in the room of requirement was a horcrux, but thought voldemort would be stupid to hide it there so dismissed it.

i liked this book cos it wrapped everything up and linked all 7 books so well. so many minor things u read about in the first 6 seem meaningless until u read this and realise how much had been hinted to or mentioned before. very clever.

despite it not being the longest book, i think this would have to make the longest movie- so much they cant leave out. im interested to see what they make of the final battle of hogwarts, want to see mcgonagall bringing the castle objects to life and making them march against the dementors.

im curious to see if there was a lot more of the snape/ lily relationship hints in the previous books. this i reckon was one of the bets twists of the series, even tho i thought snape had a good streak, the chapter "the prince's tale" and the extent to which he helped surprised me. come to think of it, doesnt petunia say something in one of the earlier books about lily and 'that boy', whom we assumed was james, but could have been snape?

i liked the hallows cos it gave a new dimension to the book, instead of it just being a hunt for horcruxes. it answered heaps of questions as well, like dumbledore's dead hand, why he had the invisibility cloak, what he was saying in the cave, etc. ultimately, i think a very creative ending to the series- especially since she managed to still put a twist in (with the true owner of the elder wand being draco and the whole wandlore rules).

im confused tho, did we end up finding out how they knew that harry was the real harry at the beginning? was it the stan shunpike thing?

HSC
atreus said:
im confused tho, did we end up finding out how they knew that harry was the real harry at the beginning? was it the stan shunpike thing?
I think the Death Eater's recognised Harry because he used Expelliarmus when facing Voldemort at Tom Riddle's grave, and then he used it again when on the motorbike with Hagrid.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
atreus said:
I think it was because he used "Expelliarmus!" or something like that.

HSC
i didn't like this book anywhere near as much as i liked the others.
my fave was HP5...

Yeah this whole EPILOGUE-WAS-A-PIECE-OF-SHIT stuff, I agree.
LIKE WTF... Seriously, it would have been pretty brilliant if harry had just been killed by voldemort and that was the end.

Not him going to wizarding heaven or whatever...
JKR should have elaborated the final fight a bit more too...

the 50 bodies... and it was just a bit of a HUGE coincidence that it was both lupin and tonks who died...

HAHAHA I'D BE LIKE ROFLMAO IF JKR RELEASED "TED TONKS AND THE MYSTERIOUS QUILL" or something :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)