Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 21 July 2007 (NO SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Here's something interesting for you fellow Harry Potter nerds. It's not my work, it comes from: http://www.nohomers.net/showpost.php?p=1623047&postcount=106

Mike Scully said:
Both "evil Snape" and "good Snape" are too pat for me. I think Snape used to be loyal to Dumbledore up until the beginning of book 6, when he switched loyalties to the Malfoys. Snape's motivations seem to go beyond loyalty to either side; what he wants is appreciation and respect for his powers. He may have appreciated Dumbledore giving him a second chance and saving him from jail, but if a beautiful woman came up to his doorstep and begged and cried and pleaded for help, this would stroke Snape's ego enormously, and compel him to do what she wished.

I don't think Snape is Dumbledore's man through and through. Snape is too intelligent to have been cornered into taking the vow, and if he wanted to remain a plausible double agent, all he could have said was, "Sorry, can't take the vow; that would be defying the Dark Lord". I can't see how Snape would have told Dumbledore afterwards ("Hey, Dumbledore, I took a vow to kill you or die, but we're still cool, right?"). Finally, I can't see Dumbledore, who's supposed to be very noble and above Voldemort's methods, ordering a colleague to perform murder, using dark magic.

I also think Snape's motivation might be that he pined for Harry's mom, switched sides to protect her, and now wants vengeance for her murder. Killing Dumbledore would actually help his plan, since it earns him Voldemort's trust, bringing him closer to Voldemort where he can attempt a final blow. This would explain why Snape was so remorseful about leaking the prophecy to Voldemort, why Dumbledore believed Snape, why Snape curiously never taunts Harry about his mom (It's always James), why Voldemort offered Lily a chance to live (could have been a favor to Snape), and why a jilted Snape could be so easily manipulated by a woman like Narcissa.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I think I'll just dedicate that entire day to reading the book so that it's not spoilt for me. It means that I'll probably have to stay up later than usual that night and I won't do homework that day, but that's no big deal.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
gawd, less than a month left i wanna see who here is right!

-P_D

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Another thing I just remembered when reading The Prisoner of Azkaban, is that Rowling said a few things in the movie that didn't appear in the book, inadvertently reveal things that are to happen later on in the series. I assume that one of those things, is that Ron and Hermione are seen holding hands at one point early on in the movie. Anyone else have any ideas?

HSC

how much should it cost? i'm getting it for 50 bucks, but it sounds like a rip off to me.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Another thing I just remembered when reading The Prisoner of Azkaban, is that Rowling said a few things in the movie that didn't appear in the book, inadvertently reveal things that are to happen later on in the series. I assume that one of those things, is that Ron and Hermione are seen holding hands at one point early on in the movie. Anyone else have any ideas?
yeah, i remember her saying that. Its not only the ron/Hermione thingy, i remember that seamus finnigan was wearing the ring which looked exactly like the one that dumbledore destroyed in book 6 (because it was a horcrux) in that movie. After a short while the cover for half-blood prince was released on the net, and it had that rings picture. Apparently many people started guessing that seamus Finnigan was the half-blood prince because he was wearing it. not like the ring had any assocaiation with the half-blood prince as everyone thought. It turned out to be a horcrux, lol :D

gulamali

HSC

spirited sloth said:
how much should it cost? i'm getting it for 50 bucks, but it sounds like a rip off to me.
yeahh id agree, because when the last book came out, there was alot of hype, saying that there won't be enough stock lala, so you have to get in early that sort of thing. I went to angus and robertson, and the book was selling for like $40+ went to target was like 10-15 cheaper, so just bought it from there, cheap hahaha. But yeahh i rkn your getting ripped, plus the price dropps in the first day, to keep up with competition.

J

jhakka

Have merged that thread in Non School with this one. Apologies for the slight messiness.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC

spirited sloth said:
If you pre-order it you can get it for $29.95. If not the RRP is $49.95.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC

Already hoaxes of hacks into Bloomsbury have come to light (http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13132/53/ and http://scmagazine.com/us/news/article/666270/experts-doubt-authenticity-harry-potter-hack - this second site has a link to the spoilers, take the warning as it is). The following quote is from the hacker (no spoiler):
spoiler said:
Yes, we did it.
We did it by following the precious words of the great Pope Benedict XVI when he still was Cardinal Josepth Ratzinger.
He explained why Harry Potter bring the youngs of our earth to Neo Paganism faith.

So we make this spoiler to make reading of the upcoming book useless and boring.
I read the supposed spoilers, but not knowing much about the story, they have no effect on me. Since there's no releases of the books, and since that's the only source, I can't see it being real. The SC website is pretty much on the money - if the hack was true, he'd have pasted paragraphs.

But really, that's up to the readers to decide. If you want to be safe and not even look, then enjoy. :)

kloudsurfer

HSC

spirited sloth said:
Totally gettin ripped off!

You can pre order them at Big w (my work) for about 29.95. Same with Borders (who are usually expensive)

Ive heard that most of the shops are selling them for cheap to compete with each other.

J

jhakka

Borders are usually on or just under RRP, with new releases marked down fairly significantly. Deposits there are $10, and they don't take full deposits because no one actually knows what price it'll be sold at on the day.

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
bought my copy of HBP at Big W for around $25-29. There was a whole stack of books, and absolutely no line. I walked passed Angus and Robertson later and the book was selling for $39 I think with a long-as line going out of the store. Department stores like Target or Big W will always sell it below the RRP. Unfortunately for me though, looks like I'll be working that weekend so I wont be able to read it till Sunday night/Monday morning. Hopefully it won't get spoiled. That would kill me :(

J

jhakka

I'll be working all that weekend, I assume. I'll be pulling an all nighter on that book on the Saturday, I think.

goosiegoo

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
When you first started reading Goblet Of Fire, you accepted that Mad-Eye Moody was Mad-Eye Moody, right? But then you got to the end and found out that he was actually Barty Crouch in disguise. He was passing himself off as someone else. What's stopping someone else from doing the same with Regulus? The catch is that this time, they don't even need polyjuice potion or anything else JKR can think of. Everyone assumes Regulus is dead. What if it were Snape acting in his double-agent role who found out that Voldemort had a horcrux in the cave? Suppose he was put into a situation where he couldn't tell Dumbledore and had to destroy the horcrux. Of course, Voldemort would find something out (not that the horcrux was destoryed), and Snape had to give him someone else or be killed himself. Naturally, he gives Regulus to Voldemort, because Sirius' brother was a nobody. Voldemort may know about the missing horcrux or he may not. Given his state for 13 of the past 16 years, he hasn't been in a position to check. Snape could easily have initialled that note as being from Regulus, or even took Regulus with him.

See, everyone assumes that Regulus is still alive, and are all excited that they've worked it out. But JKR has said in the past that by the end of Book 6 we'll have met everyone who is important to the plot. And we haven't met Regulus yet. Since 'he' destroyed the locket, 'he' is fairly important, no? Everyone is on the lookout for a highly-magical solution to the problem because that's the way Rowling has trained us to think. And now everyone is laughing, assuming Regulus is still alive, and thinking how clever they are. I wouldn't be surprised if she says, "Well, yes, Regulus did find the horcrux ... but it was actually Character X using Regulus' name". She's already said nothing can cure death and Sirius made it pretty clear that Regulus is dead, even if he didn't know the circumstances.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm telling you not to jump to conclusions. JKR still has a few tricks up her sleeve and I wouldn't be surprised if she's got one for us when it comes to RAB. Don't forget, she said Regulus as RAB would be "a fine guess". She didn't say it was the right one.
Mmm, exactly. And for all we know JK has put Regulus there as some sort of diversion... there's no saying Regulus is RAB.

J

jhakka

I like the theory that it's one of the kid's that Riddle tormented in the cave. The girl's name was Amy B(something)... I think.

kloudsurfer

HSC

jhakka said:
Borders are usually on or just under RRP, with new releases marked down fairly significantly. Deposits there are $10, and they don't take full deposits because no one actually knows what price it'll be sold at on the day.
Uh...Borders are selling them for $29.95.

Its right here on their website.

http://www.unlockthegold.com.au/

HSC
Has anyone started reading the series from the start like me?

Im up to book 2 at the moment, and I'm really surprised about all the subplots/details I'd forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)