Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 21 July 2007 (NO SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2007

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
The more i read them, the more i get annoyed coz of Sirius not being in them.
I didn't miss sirius, basically because he was characterised as such a badass but did nothing memorably heroic and badass in books 4/5. I really wanted to see him kick some ass and get some back, not hide in caves and his mothers house and cop a spell to the chest.

xx__savannah

HSC
krayzie_ said:
Epilogue.

Harry wakes up to find it was all a dream.

But the last word is apparently still 'scar', so it'd have to be something like:

eleven year old Harry wakes up in cupboard under the stairs, and thinks 'hey, that's the best dream I've ever had where I imagine all sorts of cool things about how I got my scar.'

goosiegoo said:
Hehe, I'm Gryffindor. I got my costume for an op shop, it's just like... the uniform in the movies. And i have this cloakey thing from a while ago, and an awesome wand.

Yeah, I'd like to think I'd be a Gryff, but people assume I'd be in Ravenclaw, or Slytherin at times.
So far I've just got my old school skirt (have to make it smaller though, yay lol). Old white work shirt, or if that's too big borrow some smaller friend's. grey cardi and I'm going to get some ribbon in the two colours of whichever house I'm in and put them on the v-neck thingy, grey socks and going to get my sis to see if they still sell HP merchandise at MovieWorld.

Did anyone else go to Diagon Alley there a few years back? I reckon the new theme park will be like that, except bigger and better, obviously.

HSC
Dave2007 said:
I didn't miss sirius, basically because he was characterised as such a badass but did nothing memorably heroic and badass in books 4/5. I really wanted to see him kick some ass and get some back, not hide in caves and his mothers house and cop a spell to the chest.
Yeah but that was coz he wasnt allowed to, if he was he would have done heaps of stuff!

But he made the book entertaining.

AAO89

[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]
HSC
It could be open ended... i.e. They think they've gotten rid of voldemort then the last words are 'I felt a familiar pain radiating from my scar...'

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
AAO89 said:
It could be open ended... i.e. They think they've gotten rid of voldemort then the last words are 'I felt a familiar pain radiating from my scar...'
That would be awful.

karoooh

HSC
APPARENTLY some hacker's leaked the supposed ending. :(

I'm going to have a big cry if it gets leaked on here too.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
APPARENTLY some hacker's leaked the supposed ending. :(

I'm going to have a big cry if it gets leaked on here too.
Already has been; politik made a thread about it.

HOWEVER, it's probably a fake. The hacker in question claims he got onto the Bloomsbury website and went in through there, finding it hidden on the site. No publisher is going to put the manuscript of a highly-anticipated book on their own website. There's probably only a handful of copies in existence: JK Rowling would have one of them, as would the printing company, but I doubt they've even got theirs yet because for the last two books they've run the printing presses 24 hours a day for two straight weeks to met demand. Since the book doesn't come out for another month, they're not going to have the copy they print from for another fortnight. Hence, JK Rowling would have the only copies; her editor may have his or her own one, but I'd bet my bottom dollar Rowling has them under a legal contract with severe repercussions should they go and shoot their mouth off.

Hence, the hacker is simply talking shit to make his 1337 5k!11z get noticed.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
AAO89 said:
That's just stupid

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Major spoilers for sevearl non-HP titles follow. Read at your own risk!
No it's not "stupid". That technique is frequently used by thriller writers to let the reader make up their own minds. Take Joseph Garber's Vertical Run for example; the main character finds out the reason why everyone is trying to kill him is because he's carrying a lethal virus and he confronts Ransome, the leader of the mercenaries sent to kill him. Precisely what he does to Ransome is never stated, but the next time we hear of him, Ransome seems to be terrified of something (it's stongly implied that Dave, the protagonist, kissed Ransome, transmitting the disease from one man to the other).

Or, for a more recent example, take the "Angel" episode Not Fade Away, the final episode of the series. Angel and his band of friends have assassinated the leaders of a demonic syndicate, but it's not quite over yet. The four of them congregate in an alleyway in time to see an army of demons, complete with a dragon, marching towards them. When asked what the plan is, Angel says "To be honest ... I kinda want to slay the dragon." He then pulls out a sword and the episode ends. We don't see the fight as creator Joss Whedon wanted us to make up our own minds.

The ending of Halo 2 is another example. Master Chief takes control of a fighter of some description and starts heading towards earth. His superiors pick up on it and locat the Chief holding onto the wing of the fighter. They order him to turn the fighter around, but he disobeys them. When asked what he's doing Master Chief simply says "Sir. Finishing this fight." Roll credits.

Heroes. The characters have defeated Sylar and saved New York City from a devastating nuclear explosion. As everyone leaves the scene of the fight, the camera pans down on Sylar's final resting place and a thick trail of blood as if the body has been dragged to a manhole cover. Even though we saw Sylar die, there's no body in sight ...

House, MD. House is shot in the stomach and neck druing season two's finale No Reason. After realising everything we have seen in the episode is a hallucination brought on by his injuries, House asks for a treatment that may cure his limp as he is wheeled into the emergency room.

Need I go on with more examples?
That said, I don't think Rowling is going to leave the ending open. That would create a demand for an eighth book, which she has stated won't be happening.

HSC
ObjectsInSpace its very obvious she wont have an open ending. She did say there was an epilogue, and that she'll show what happens to the main characters after whatever is going to happen. :)

[good thing you dint mention the tv shows im watching!]

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I did say to be careful and to read at one's own risk. I included "Angel" - which has long since ended - but then remembered no-one around here would watch it.

HSC
lol i only watch house, and i already saw that ep..so really its good :)

and i just thought of something, if Harry dies in the final book wont it still be a 'happy ending' since he'll be with his parents and sirius? ...

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
No I know that the ending isn't stupid overall, I meant for Harry Potter it'd be stupid

gulamali

HSC
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

i cant wait till this book, i wasnt really phased before actually i had totally forgoten the book was being released this coming month, but evere since this thread has been active...i wanna read the book now LOL.

xx__savannah

HSC
You know, how awesome would it be to be one of the translators or illustrators for HP?

They'd be some of the very few people who have RAB = Reg Black confirmed first, and Grandpre's read the whole book already.... :(

goosiegoo

HSC
The hacker who apparently leaked the ending of Harry Potter is fake. As Objectsinspace said, bloomsbury is not going to have the Harry Potter manuscript on the internet, that would be ridiculous.
Obviously bloomsbury cannot confirm or deny any of it, because that could be insinuating that would the hacker said happened doesn't happen. However, if ever in doubt just go to mugglenet...

'Deathly Hallows' hacked?
Reports circulating online now say that a hacker allegedly broke into a computer at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. in London and managed to obtain a digital version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The hacker subsequently posted what he says are "key plot deatils" from the book on the Internet. We don't believe it.

Bloomsbury has told us that "there is so much material on the Internet at the moment that people claim is from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but anyone can post anything on the Internet and we're not confirming or denying these rumours."

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
xx__savannah said:
They'd be some of the very few people who have RAB = Reg Black confirmed first, and Grandpre's read the whole book already.... :(
Uh, no they can't. The people employed to do that are under a legal contract; if they shoot their mouths off, JK Rowling throws the book at them.

Also, there's no guaranteed RAB is Regulus. Peter Pettigrew lived for twleve years as a rat; Crouch Jnr. lived as Mad-Eye Moody for a year. Both used highly magical means to do so, but I wouldn't put it past Rowling to have another wizard simply passing himself off as Regulus without doing anything magical whatsoever.

xx__savannah

HSC
The letters RAB have been chnged in various translations to coincide with the initial of Sirius' last name. That's good enough for me until the book comes out.

I don't get what you mean about 'no they can't'. I never said they could tell, just that they would know, how is that going against their contract?

Also, there's no guaranteed RAB is Regulus. Peter Pettigrew lived for twleve years as a rat; Crouch Jnr. lived as Mad-Eye Moody for a year. Both used highly magical means to do so, but I wouldn't put it past Rowling to have another wizard simply passing himself off as Regulus without doing anything magical whatsoever.
So you're agreeing that RAB stands for Regulus Arcturus Black but then saying I'm wrong?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
When you first started reading Goblet Of Fire, you accepted that Mad-Eye Moody was Mad-Eye Moody, right? But then you got to the end and found out that he was actually Barty Crouch in disguise. He was passing himself off as someone else. What's stopping someone else from doing the same with Regulus? The catch is that this time, they don't even need polyjuice potion or anything else JKR can think of. Everyone assumes Regulus is dead. What if it were Snape acting in his double-agent role who found out that Voldemort had a horcrux in the cave? Suppose he was put into a situation where he couldn't tell Dumbledore and had to destroy the horcrux. Of course, Voldemort would find something out (not that the horcrux was destoryed), and Snape had to give him someone else or be killed himself. Naturally, he gives Regulus to Voldemort, because Sirius' brother was a nobody. Voldemort may know about the missing horcrux or he may not. Given his state for 13 of the past 16 years, he hasn't been in a position to check. Snape could easily have initialled that note as being from Regulus, or even took Regulus with him.

See, everyone assumes that Regulus is still alive, and are all excited that they've worked it out. But JKR has said in the past that by the end of Book 6 we'll have met everyone who is important to the plot. And we haven't met Regulus yet. Since 'he' destroyed the locket, 'he' is fairly important, no? Everyone is on the lookout for a highly-magical solution to the problem because that's the way Rowling has trained us to think. And now everyone is laughing, assuming Regulus is still alive, and thinking how clever they are. I wouldn't be surprised if she says, "Well, yes, Regulus did find the horcrux ... but it was actually Character X using Regulus' name". She's already said nothing can cure death and Sirius made it pretty clear that Regulus is dead, even if he didn't know the circumstances.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm telling you not to jump to conclusions. JKR still has a few tricks up her sleeve and I wouldn't be surprised if she's got one for us when it comes to RAB. Don't forget, she said Regulus as RAB would be "a fine guess". She didn't say it was the right one.

xx__savannah

HSC
I try not to jump to conclusions as to what J.K. will do concerning major plots -- she has done both glaringly obvious (general 'hero' epic stuff such as death of mentor) and completely random.

Therefore, the only thing I am assuming is RAB stands for Regulus Arcturus Black (thats all I have said) because of the strong hints given out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)