Hard Questions! Help! (1 Viewer)

Agent Z

HSC
Tried the HSC Advice Line? 13 11 12.
well that would be an intersting question wouldnt it?
"uhhh..yeah, hi, i was just wondering...um...wheres huy?"

lol nah lazarus i get you!! Yeh ill ring them now and tell everyone what they said about cabling standards...

oh yeah, one more question:
The excel textbook defines firewall as

"...verifies all incoming data and prevents unauthorised access to stored data. It checks the password of anyone entering the network."

well what I want to know is what's it talking about "...checking the password..." What password is it checking? And how did it assign that particular node "that" password? And can't firewall's be used for incoming AND the checking of outgoing data? For example, if you are using the firewall "ZoneAlarm" everytime a program tries to connect to the internet it prompts you if you will allow it to connect and whether it will be allowed to act as a server. This prevents malitious programs broadcasting data about your computer to the internet. i.e. this is checking the OUTGOING data also.

Agent Z

HSC
also i have one last question: The sylabus states we need to know the current cabling standards. Ok, so firstly WHAT is a cabling standard and what cabling standard are they up to now?
Yep, i rang the hsc advice line and the guy there said that we don't need to know all that stuff about cat5e etc. He said just the points on how cables work etc. But he also said it would be handy to know the actual standards, so if we wanted we could put it in an answer, but to that depth its definately not required.
He also mentioned that we should know broadband works (broadband divides the data cable so that several signals can be transmitted at the same time) and also we should know how adsl works...which isnt actually mentioned in the heinemann text...

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by del
There are different types of joins available depending on the DBMS being used - MySQL has JOIN, CROSS JOIN, INNER JOIN and STRAIGHT JOIN for example.

yes that sounds WAY OUT OF SCOPE for IPT.

all we had to to from membory were SIMPLE SQL statements.

fatmuscle

HSC
cabling standards:

just the simple calculating speeds etc...

but do know what your cat5's coaxials and fibre-optics do

forgot what the exam had.
Just check the Q's for all the past IPT exams. They can't make a question way too totally different.

Agent Z

HSC
holy lord....

they better not ask that in the exam...
ask what in the exam??

broadband - divides the data cable so that several signals can be transmitted at the same time..so that's how basically broadband internet can be so quick. There are numerous signals being transmitted at the same time. It's really the opposite of baseband, which is when the signal uses the entire capacity of the chanel. That would be lightning quick...but i guess the disadvantage would be the ONLY one signal at a time.

ADSL - ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line and it is a fast-growing new technology that converts existing twisted-pair copper lines into high-speed, high-bandwidth digital lines. The main purpose of ADSL is to enable high-speed access to the Internet. This allows the end user to have fast access to streaming media, large websites, multiplayer gaming and a wide range of other Internet applications. ADSL can transmit up to 6 Mbps to a subscriber, and as much as 832kbps or more in both directions. An ADSL circuit connects an ADSL modem on each end of a twisted pair telephone line, creating three information channels - a high speed downstream channel, a medium speed duplex channel, and a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) or an ISDN channel. ADSL depends upon advanced digital signal processing and creative algorithms to squeeze so much information through twisted-pair telephone lines.

and like the guy at the advice line said...you really shouldn't need to know the actuall standards...such as cat5, cat5e and cat6 I think it would be sufficient just to know that they exist and that cat6 is the most recent. This way, if they ask a question that says something like

"...recommend a transmission medium so that company X can transmit to company Y, if they are both located on the same site, and within close proximity of each other; if they both just need to transfer plain text"

you could just write that "the most cost efficient way of achieving data transmission would be to use twisted pair. The twisted pair would meet the latest standards requirement of cat6. This ensures the infrastructure of the company is futureproof blah blah"

yeah, something along those lines...if you think about them for a bit, they arn't that hard concepts.

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Agent Z
"...recommend a transmission medium so that company X can transmit to company Y, if they are both located on the same site, and within close proximity of each other; if they both just need to transfer plain text"
if thats the case, then is pretty simple..but if they give u such scenario, they are more likely to ask u the topology used and other stuff like that, very rarely wil they ask u the cabling standard...

Agent Z

HSC
but do know what your cat5's coaxials and fibre-optics do
woah...i thought cat5 was a twisted pair standard only! obviously im wrong. So what do you mean "cat5 coaxial and fiber-optics do" what do they do??

lol fatmuscle our teacher made overhead's of all your notes that you had up on your previous site (as well as this site) and he always teaches from them...

Agent Z

HSC
Originally posted by ...
if thats the case, then is pretty simple..but if they give u such scenario, they are more likely to ask u the topology used and other stuff like that, very rarely wil they ask u the cabling standard...
yeah true...i just couldnt think of an example on the fly...i was merely illustrating the broad concept...

del

HSC
N/A
woah...i thought cat5 was a twisted pair standard only! obviously im wrong. So what do you mean "cat5 coaxial and fiber-optics do" what do they do??

lol fatmuscle our teacher made overhead's of all your notes that you had up on your previous site (as well as this site) and he always teaches from them...
nah your right, i think theres a comma missing between cat5, and coaxial

Huy

HSC
N/A
*sigh* clearly noone comes to the ipt forum.... :(
I do, but I haven't really read every thread in IPT, IT stuff, or every newly created thread in the past week.

Not to mention all of the threads which have new posts in the past week, so I'm a little bogged down atm. This thread seems interesting, so I'll have to read it in my free time (maybe in a few days, sorry).

:)

Agent Z

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Not to mention all of the threads which have new posts in the past week, so I'm a little bogged down atm. This thread seems interesting, so I'll have to read it in my free time (maybe in a few days, sorry).
well, well, well...if it isn't the famed Huy, who, i do remember claimed he was going on an internet free period *ahem*...

And on another note...Huy you seem to know everything about IPT...answer some of my questions then!!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
read it now Huy...it will be a challenge
I'm about 20% through reading "new posts/new threads".

There's about 50 pages I have to get through (meaning, I have to view which sections they're posted under, to see if they apply to me, and to see if I can contribute to the thread, etc).

well, well, well...if it isn't the famed Huy, who, i do remember claimed he was going on an internet free period *ahem*...

And on another note...Huy you seem to know everything about IPT...answer some of my questions then!!!
Famed? Why thank you :)
Internet and computer-free, yes.
I lasted a week, until I realised I had to watch Smallville (season 3, aired on the 1st of October in the states).

Well, the last time I went on an internet and computer-free period, was during Lent, so it was for a religious purpose (and I stuck to it).

Now, it's about the HSC, so I don't have anything to "prove" :)
I'll answer your questions, if I can, but I can't promise anything.

(my fingers are really cold too atm)
3 pages seems pretty long, and others would have answered some of your Qs

i'll be back in a few days or hours to see if i can help, but i need to get through these new posts/threads first, before i come back to the IPT forum :)

Hope you understand, :)

Agent Z

HSC
Originally Posted by Huy
i'll be back in a few days or hours to see if i can help, but i need to get through these new posts/threads first, before i come back to the IPT forum

Hope you understand,
You cut me deep Huy, you cut me deep.

lol yeah *I* was actually meant to go on a internet free period also....buuut clearly that didn't last *sigh* For the first time in bored history Huy has let us down...lol nah i see what your saying :)

Originally Posted by Huy
3 pages seems pretty long, and others would have answered some of your Qs
Yeah del and grendel were helpful....buut then there's the other like 8 or 9 that i have noooooo idea about...and not really answered as such...more than one page would be about if we do or do not have to know about cabling standards, when it turns out we don't have to know anything about that :S

but yeah whenever you can, can you see if you know any of the answers!! Thankss!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
I think I know what your problem is, if you can call it a problem. (I don't mean it is an actual problem, so don't take it literally).

I haven't seen many of your posts Agent Z, which doesn't mean that your posts aren't as valid as any other, not at all. :)

You remind me of someone I know from school, and I don't mean to insult you, but I will say this:

This person I know, which you remind me of:

He takes things too seriously and keeps asking "but why?". If you were a teacher, you would understand how frustrating it is to have students ask "but why" -- and I don't mean for simple concepts, but it's smart-alecky in a way, if you know what I'm saying.

Again, this is not about "you" - but more or less, it is? It's the type of student who refuses to accept textbook definitions, and moves away from the scope of the syllabus - which can be a good thing, but it isn't required/necessary. There's the type of person who takes everything you say, and takes it literally, without considering where he/she is coming from.

Questions such as "how" or "why" are high-level, and you wouldn't need to go in-depth as you have in your first post and posts to follow.

Subsequently, you'll be "pissing your pants" in effect when it comes to the HSC, because you'll be realising that following the HSC exam, you'll think: "now, why did I have to go and learn all of that... when all I had to know was..."

I know I'm not answering your question(s), and I believe they were answered exceptionally well under the circumstances (keep in mind that we are heading towards the HSC and time is running out, for all). Ordinarily, I would be attempting to explain and cover all of your questions, but I felt that I had to say this:

"Don't stray from the syllabus and the syllabus is not always correct, why do you think they're always being revised/updated?"

Having said that, the syllabus is as complete as possible (at the time of writing), and if you know everything in the syllabus, you will be fine. If you know the textbook completely, you will be fine. But it's only when you begin to question the textbook and take things out of context that you begin to worry over nothing, stress over nothing, and generally you'll be digging your own grave in my opinion, as it's outside of the course boundaries. Sure, it's great to know the "extras/additional info" -- but that's a lesson I've found out in years 9-10 computing studies. I would talk about other things and "show off" (I hope you know what I'm talking about), but at the end of the day, you're not answering the question, as expected. The markers will be thinking: "Great, he knows his stuff, and he'll be a great employee one day, but a great HSC/IPT student - he is not".

There's one more thing I should add, and it is as follows:

Do not try and link theory/concepts in IPT with real-world scenarios and applications of IPT to our world

Why? It is virtually impossible to strictly adhere to IPT, when trying to compare it with the real-world.

That's the difficulty exam writers face when creating exams. You can't link theory with practice completely, so the exams themselves allow for some sort of overlap between what you have been taught at school, with some sort of "example" from real life -- such examples might not even exist, it's only to be used in the exam, and there is no correlation between say, what Qantas uses in their databases and what the IPT textbook states.

It's just an example to highlight a concept. Some real-world applications will apply relevant/similar concepts in IPT, but the exams themselves don't link real-world applications to IPT, it is IPT which tries to adapt to the real-world (sorry if this is sounding Matrix-esque).

I hope you understand. The way I see it, is that you are beginning to question the syllabus and pushing yourself so far as to "not-know" what is to be expected. (I know you have your syllabus, and you can reference it, fantastic), but you shouldn't need to go further than what the syllabus states, and if a textbook doesn't agree with another, then you'll need to compromise, not every text is correct.

I'm going to shut up now, and I'm sure you'll be "hating" me, but I'm really hoping you can see where I'm coming from.

"Accept it, and regurgitate it" would be my advice to you, sorry.

:)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
thats a fucken novel!!!
That's not my longest post... :p

/edit
I bet you read it all too, hahaha sucker! ;) :D

Here's my summary:

1. Don't go beyond the syllabus
2. Don't question the syllabus
3. Answer the question, don't "bullshit" it
4. Try not to think "now how does the real world link with..." but think of it as "I can see some of IPT coming through in <example>"

I guess that's what I was saying, in a nutshell :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)