Handwriting in exams + Writing in Exams in general (1 Viewer)

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
I don't know what to do about it. Usually my handwriting's pretty normal, maybe a bit on the scrawly side, but when it comes to exams, I literally scribble. What's worse is, my teachers, since they've known me for so long and all are used to this style of writing, and thus are able to interpret it.

I've talked to my teachers, and they say I should try to make my writing neater. But here's catch-22:

If I do, I cannot write as quickly, and thus I may not finish the exam paper at all.

Please help!

EDIT: Does anyone know of a good, anti-smudging pen? I'm left handed and everytime I come out of exams/assessments, my left hand looks as if I've dunked it in black ink.

champo14

HSC
See my post on the almighty Pilot BPS-GP-F/M!!! I'm left handed too and that pen was great.

About your handwriting; it is accepted that your writing may be a bit messy, but look but if the examiners can't read it, they are just going to get frustrated when trying to mark your work, and that could really hinder you.

In terms of making it better, try to write bigger. I found this helped me, but apart from that, only practise will make it better.

HSC
Just how messy is it? HSC markers are very experienced and have to mark thousands of papers, I'm sure they can handle your writing. My teacher has also told me that if a marker can't read it they will ask another marker.

notaaron

HSC
I write terribly small, about 15 words a line, give or take.
And HSC markers say no problem with mine, although i try to write bigger to take up more room.

Zephyrio

HSC
I write about 8-10 words a line...

Try to write marginally slower, but ensure that your writing is legible. I know teachers say that they'll do their best to read your writing, but I think that the worse the writing is, the worse the flow of your words. I don't think there's any need to "scribble" in a 40 minute essay; writing at a good, solid speed should really get you those 1100-1200 words.

conics2008

HSC
LoL.. Tell me about it, I do my working out all over the page and then at the bottom with I write my answer. I draw a box or a circle so teachers will know this is my answer. LoL.. Im so hopeless =(

I know the work, but the prob is my working out, its never neat. Seriously if you look at my exam paper you will see working out every where =)

I like girls.

michael1990

HSC
My friend also has a problem with writing. HSC markers at my school say that if the marker cannot read your paper they will find someone who can.

Its just easier if the marker himself can read the paper.

I would just try yourself out in exam conditions at home, just keep writing and try and it get it as readable as possible!

Practice makes perfect!

justmeme

HSC
N/A
my writing gets really messy as im not concentrating on writing. concentration on the work im putting down.
but its neat enough to just read it. lol

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Nowhere in the English marking guidelines does it say "neat handwriting is required" but it detracts the fluency of the response.
My English teacher used to say "Well can you read it yourself ?" ... but even the best English students had some neatness issues but pulled through.

Muz4PM

HSC
In the past few exams I have done, I have found that I have finished thre paper 5-15 minutes early. As my handwriting is not the neatest, I read back through my answers to change some of the more illegable words into ones which can be read easier. Obviously, you will be unable to do this if you are cutting time, don't worry too much, most of the experienced markers will eb able to read your writing.

I second the endorsement of the Pilot BPS-GP-F/M by Champo. I have found it only smudges after you have used one side for a long time, and a large ink blob amounts on the otherside. Outside of that, I have found those pens to be alright.

Last edited:

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Chibios said:
EDIT: Does anyone know of a good, anti-smudging pen? I'm left handed and everytime I come out of exams/assessments, my left hand looks as if I've dunked it in black ink.
If you want a good non-smudgy pen, then i recommend BIC. I heart these pens.

And, on the topic of messy writing, my handwriting in the english exams was terrible T_T even to me, lots of what i had written was illegible, but i still ended up going ok in the end, so donnnnnn't stress too much. =) I'm sure the examiners have seen all kinds of handwriting. :p

you could try for a comprimise. maybe try to write just a touch slower/more legibly and try not to sacrifice how much you can write. But, in the actual exam, you tend to forget about making your writing legible and instead are more focused on actually getting some stuff on the page. So, yeah, maybe it's a bit too late to try to change anything too drastically. Well, just try out a few things. See what works. =)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
yeah i'm kind of the same. my handwriting's normally pretty neat, but when i get in exams i'll be lucky if i can read what i've written. i try to write as fast as i think and it just doesn't work, hell i lose the fucking ability to form letters correctly.

callol

Banned
HSC
you've seen mine jacqui, and that was from the first english essay - it couldn't be worse :eek:

.deimonic

HSC
I too have terrible handwriting, at times I can't even read it myself and my teacher is always telling me to improve. Thing is I can't improve it no matter how hard I try :(

michael1990

HSC
.deimonic said:
I too have terrible handwriting, at times I can't even read it myself and my teacher is always telling me to improve. Thing is I can't improve it no matter how hard I try :(
Just keep writing under exam conditions.

Just keep doing it over and over. Try to get your writing neater if that means you have to write slower. Then so be it. But if you keep doing that, it will make your writing better.

Because once its neat, then you can start to increase the speed. But making sure it still remains neat.

.deimonic

HSC
michael1990 said:
Just keep writing under exam conditions.

Just keep doing it over and over. Try to get your writing neater if that means you have to write slower. Then so be it. But if you keep doing that, it will make your writing better.

Because once its neat, then you can start to increase the speed. But making sure it still remains neat.
Yeah a lot of people have suggested I do that, thing is my normal writing (not under exam conditions) is pretty crap as well. Guess I should just keep working on it.

michael1990

HSC
.deimonic said:
Yeah a lot of people have suggested I do that, thing is my normal writing (not under exam conditions) is pretty crap as well. Guess I should just keep working on it.
Maybe you need to find a different pen?

Try writing in pencil. Then when your writing improves use pen?

Different things work for different people.

justmeme

HSC
N/A
im not sure, but ive never been able to change the way i write..
i have different styles depending on my moods, but they are always the same..

how can you change your writing?

michael1990

HSC
justmeme said:
im not sure, but ive never been able to change the way i write..
i have different styles depending on my moods, but they are always the same..

how can you change your writing?
I have 2 writing styles.

I can do very good running writing and i also print, in exams for speed i do running writing, but sometimes it isn't neat at all.

Sometimes i scribble if i am on a roll
LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)