hand drawn animations? (1 Viewer)

malayansurf

HSC
hey i'm in yr 10 at the moment and becasue of subject selections and stuff i've been thinkng alot into the things we do for the HSC. though i'm probably looking too far ahead, one of the major things i've been thinking about is the major artwork you all have seem to have finished. i was just curious to see if anyone on BOS has done a hand-drawn animation or anime sort've thing for their major work. if so, how did you do it? im really curious as to see how because im trying to get as much as information about this as i can, i also know animations are shitloads of hardwork. i haven't seemed to find alot of information mainly because animation is simply not very popular in australia as opposed to japan or korea.
one last thing, does anyone know how to contact disney sydney for work experience? i know they've closed except they're closing mid-2006 so i was thinking about going there for some last minute work experience( i didn't have much fun at the vet's).
thanks.

yesgentlemen

Sexbox
HSC
i did an hand-drawn animation, my only advice is to learn to love your scanner.
i used animation shop 3 and paint shop pro to resize and target my images so they ran together more smoothly.

basically: draw, scan, resize and paste each image in a new frame. in the end mine was about 4 minutes long and had about 300 frames.

malayansurf

HSC
did you go to art express earlier this year? if so do you remember how a girl did an anime sort of thing which protested against the war. it was baiscally her stuck in different places of the world with anti-war signs etc. how would you do that? she had the whole single line effect and everything and it looked so professional.

Porcia

HSC
i remember that - but i dont think that was animation - more like digital imagery or whatever - but that thing wasnt actually moving - though it'd be cool to see that kind of thing on film

Pirate Jenny

HSC
*first post dance*

Hi, Malayansurf. It's pretty tough to get accepted for work experience at Disney at the best of times; believe me, I tried. They have a rigourous judging program for even accepting temps and trainees, none of which is pretty. And, uh, they're also closing down forever and ever kthxbye soon. So, if you wanna do an internship or work ex. at a studio, my advice would be to try and get in with a company that readily accepts interns, such as Yoram Gross, or smaller independant studio, like Mad Cow Animation. That's what I did last year and ended up working on an actual Disney film project while I was there anyway!

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
malayansurf said:
did you go to art express earlier this year? if so do you remember how a girl did an anime sort of thing which protested against the war. it was baiscally her stuck in different places of the world with anti-war signs etc. how would you do that? she had the whole single line effect and everything and it looked so professional.
Yeah, from the artist comments she said that most of it was done on illustrator, thus i would presume that she started with a photo of herself and manipulated it to look like that anima style. Having said that, my experiance with illustrator is limited as i really only use editing programs to tweak my works, so most of my time is spent on photoshop.

As for hand drawn animation, after seeing the Kentridge exibition that was on at the MCA, i think in late 2004, i dabbled in hand drawn animation. I don't mean that japanese style, i used a kind of impressionistic realism. I used the photo and erase method because i like the kind of trail that the erase left that would follow the character or object as they moved.

I havn't tryed any more recently because it was so time consuming, and my works were really similar to Kentridges.

But yeah, if you want to do it for the HSC, you must have patience.

ahmi

HSC
well~
just did an animation for my major work this year, not hand drawn though
but it still took me a lot of time....
in fact nearly all of my time at around 2 months b4 the due day....
cnt even sleep properly....seriously....coz I kept on hving all these ideas & thoughts in ur head.....
so if u r gonna do it for ur yr 12 major....time managing is really important....
coz I hvnt really started mine until May and I've changed so much things through out the process......

wtever ur choice is, gd luck

Chris Lloyd

Yeah I did an animation as well, but not hand drawn. If you do one it takes a lot of planning, so make sure you start early. I didn't go very well in my first assessment because everything was written down and I needed a 1/3 of my video done. In total I spent about 300 hours on mine. Alot of nights up to 3-4 in the morning.
You can see it here:
http://www.rianlloyd.com/ChrisLloyd/Apeiron/

roboito

HSC
you are not an animator until you hand draw a film!
i did one, took me weeks of not stop drawing, hundreds of drawings!
but in saying that, i still used alot of in camera effects to fill out the time i wanted hehe.

very time consuming, but very rewarding :)
i also got a mate to create a piano score for the film, worked out very well!

and as far as disney is concerned, id steer clear. its slave labour. you are better off being the coffee child than an animator there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)