Hamlet/ RGAD (1 Viewer)

HSC
please i need help from fellow hamlet-ers- and RGADers- do u agree that the values and attitudes of hamlet have changed and stoppard shows this through RGAD?
plz reply, assessment on mon

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
of course they have thats the whole idea of comparing the two texts together.
do some research on England when Henry VIII was King (This was when Shakespear wrote Hamlet) and then research the 60s (which was when Tom Stoppard wrote the play) the religious attitudes and ethics ALONE of Shakespearian times have changed significantly when compared to the 60s - a little bit of thought goes a long way. sounds like you want us to do your assessment research for you -

HSC
No I just wanted some reassurance that i was on the right wavelength before my assignment was due, and seeing as i had DONE my assessment at that point, i didnt need anyone to DO my research for me. thanks.
And you could also argue other points- with this module- you could argue that the values haven't changed but the attitudes towards them have- as other people have done. so there is an example of how some thought can significantly confuse your opinion.
So please other ppl- i am NOT asking people to do my assignment for me, i was just a stressed girl looking for some reassurance.

HSC
and vicburke please dont immediately assume that someone asking for help on the boredofstudies has not done their work. that was an unjustified assumption to make, as i just asked if ppl agreed or disagreed.

Last edited:

felafel

attitudes have DEFINITELY changed. . . it's all about social, historical, and political context.

as to values the main ones to talk about would be:
fate vs. destiny
death
identity
free will

and in most cases, the values HAVE changed, as the composer makes the story more appropriate to the audience it is written for.

eg. in Hamlet, death is bloody, ruthless, the result of conniving criminals, something that affects mainly those of authority - ie. members of the court

in RGAD, death is presented as something that can happen to the ordinary person - to the typical pedestrian person like R + G

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Charlie, i dont know if it was intentional, but you came of as really rude, considereing all vicburke was doing was offereing help. Just out of interest, when you said 'the values and attitudes of hamlet have changed and stoppard shows this through RGAD?' are you talking about Hamlet the character, about the Hamlet the play and therefore its author or about Shakespeares time period as a whole?

With the death thing felafel, i think its also important to not that death seems less important in Stoppards time (think about it, the 60's, vietnam, the cold war etc where is Shakespeare Hamlet Seniors death sparks a whole series of events) Also without the religious confidence of the Elizabethan period, death seems even more meaningless.

P.S. VicBurke, your time period is a little off, it was written durring the reign of Elizabeth, and played durring her reign and that of James 1

Last edited:

Moridin

felafel...arent the "v and a's" uve pointed out more themes so in other words stoppard only transforms themes...

does anyone out there know what values and attitudes have been transformed?

Hiba

themes are important in R & G R D
HOWEVER, there not the only aspect.
you could talk about the verbal pyrotechnics which are used in both Ham and R & G R D.
verbal tennis etc.
:)

HSC
my english teacher stressed NOT to confuse themes and values...and values were dependent on what the context THOUGHT of them
Values such as Death, meaning of life have been tranformed. eg Death was treated with awe and trepidation in Hamlet, seen by the solilqo=uies of Hamlet, and in RGAD, it was not as important because of the way society valued the world...absurdist, existentialism etc etc....

HSC
And Smegger_em i realise that vicburke was offering help and I may have responded in a not so nice way- but it was the comment that
Originally posted by vicburke
- a little bit of thought goes a long way. sounds like you want us to do your assessment research for you -
set me off...as i had been stressing about my assessment, and i HAD been putting in heaps of thought about it and i did NOT want any one to do my assessment for me.
BUT lets leave that behind and use this thread to help other poor souls tryig to work out what Stoppard is on about.

Moridin

Originally posted by charlie_charlie
my english teacher stressed NOT to confuse themes and values...and values were dependent on what the context THOUGHT of them
Values such as Death, meaning of life have been tranformed.

How is death a value and if it is how would you identify it in an essay: The value of death??? that just doesnt make sense

olay

HSC
i think he meant themes. and the way they approach these themes are completely different, reflecting the values of the period. which is why though they have common themes, different values are conveyed.

felafel

Originally posted by Moridin
felafel...arent the "v and a's" uve pointed out more themes so in other words stoppard only transforms themes...

does anyone out there know what values and attitudes have been transformed?
oops yeah i suppose so . . . they are themes not values!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)