Hamlet-R&G Essay (1 Viewer)

LostAuzzie

HSC
Hey All,
This essay I wrote b y hand in 40mins then typed up. It comes to about 800 words and answers a generic, what has been transformed and why, type question. Any advice as well as a mark out of 20 would be much appreciated:

Shakespeare’s text Hamlet has been transformed by Stoppard into Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead to better suit the contemporary context. Characters, themes, language and setting have all been changed to better suit the new audience. While Shakespeare uses a form of Revenge Tragedy to tell Hamlet’s story, Stoppard uses Absurdist theatre to represent the pervading belief of meaningless existence. Stoppard transforms the setting from Shakespeare’s Castle in Denmark, to his ambiguous location. All of this is changed by Stoppard so that his play can be better received by the modern audience for which it was written.

Shakespeare’s Hamlet was written in the 16th century Humanist era and thus has elements of the beliefs and social attitudes of this time. This was a time of rebellion against authority as evident in the acts of regicide committed by Hamlet and Claudius. There was still some sense of faith in God as evident in Hamlet’s belief that “there’s a divinity that shapes our ends” Hamlet’s choice not to kill Claudius during prayer and the reasoning behind it shows that a belief in the afterlife also still existed in this period.
Stoppard’s Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead was written in the 20th Century Existentialist period. A much darker form of Humanism, this was a period brought on by events such as the World Wars and the Great Depression. Following such events people questioned everything including existence. For the main characters, Rosencrantz (hereafter Ros) and Guildenstern (hereafter Guil), “its all questions” as they try to discern their place in a world unknown to them. This was a time when nothing could be counted upon as emphasised in the opening scene where not even the law of probability can be counted upon. Questions of death, life and what they mean place Stoppard’s text clearly within the Existentialist period.

The characters are transformed by Stoppard so that the audience can better relate to the main character. The main character in Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet, is transformed from the protagonist around whom all action revolves, to the minor character whose problems become insignificant. Stoppard’s main character’s Ros and Guil, were originally minor characters in Hamlet, enemies working for the antagonist. They had no developed personality making it difficult to discern between them. They are transformed into the main characters, protagonists, with differing interchangeable personalities, because they better represent the ‘common man’ allowing the audience to better relate to them.

A major theme in both plays is that of Fate and Destiny. In Hamlet there is the illusion of choice, Hamlet believing he has choices such as that to put on the ‘Antic Disposition’. For Stoppard’s Characters there is no choice or control. Ros and Guil look to others for direction and contemplate whether “there must have been a moment where we could have said no” We as an audience know their fate is sealed by the name of the play itself and that they have no control. In Hamlet there is belief in a master plan, a “divinity that shapes our ends.” In Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead there is no such plan and no reason for events to occur, there is only the ‘meaningless existence’

In both plays the main characters resign to their destiny. When Hamlet says “How all occasions to inform against me and spur my dull revenge” he is resigning to the fact that circumstances are playing a part in his inability to avenge his father. Ros resigns to the fact that he must die saying “I don’t care, I’ve had enough…I’m Relieved”

Shakespeare uses a combination of prose and verse. Prose is used in times of less intense dramatic feeling such as the conversations with the grave digger. Verse is used in all other occasions as either blank or rhymed verse. Shakespeare often uses Soliloquies to offer insight into characters emotions and personality. One of Shakespeare’s most famous soliloquies is Hamlet’s “To be or not to be” Soliloquy. In this he is contemplating suicide weighing up the advantages and disadvantages. He comes to the conclusion that life would be better after comparing death to an “undiscovered country” from which “no traveller returns”.
Stoppard manipulates Shakespeare’s language in order to allow his text to be better received and understood by the audience. Large portions of the original text can be found embedded within Stoppard’s text to add Contrast. For a more light-hearted approach some of Shakespeare’s text is modified. “I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space were it not that I have bad dreams” becomes “He’s depressed, Denmark’s a prison and he’d rather live in a nutshell” to this effect. Stoppard also uses double entendre and puns on well known phrases in order to add to the ‘meaningless existence’ he creates.

Stoppard takes Shakespeare’s text, inverts the character roles, modifies the themes and manipulates the language to be better received by a modern audience.

Aimz- Lou.

Hi. It is well written, and the flow is generally good. Some use of sophisticated language. Your points make sense, and are pretty good... There were just a couple of things I was a little worried about...

"All of this is changed by Stoppard so that his play can be better received by the modern audience for which it was written"

- Stoppard wrote for a small theatre company, and his play was not designed to be appreciated by the audience. He transformed things to better represent the modern themes and values, but overall he didn't care whether people liked or hated his work- that wasn't the purpose behind his writing.

"Shakespeare’s Hamlet was written in the 16th century Humanist era and thus has elements of the beliefs and social attitudes of this time."

- This sentence is a little too passive... I'm not sure whether you're telling me that there are elements of humanism in the text, or that there are elements of ALL the beliefs and attitudes of Elizabethan society- and you haven't proved this point at all.

"They had no developed personality making it difficult to discern between them. They are transformed into the main characters, protagonists, with differing interchangeable personalities, because they better represent the ‘common man’ allowing the audience to better relate to them"

- You have contradicted yourself here. A protagonist is someone who develops, and the events occuring in the text are directly influenced by that person. R and G are static characters, and do not develop. They also have no influence on what is going on around them, therefore they are primary characters, but not protagonists.

"We as an audience..."

- Avoid the use of personal pronoun (I think that's what it is called?) "An audience" or "the audience" would probably be slightly better, because involving yourself interrupts the general flow of the essay.

"Stoppard manipulates Shakespeare’s language in order to allow his text to be better received and understood by the audience. Large portions of the original text can be found embedded within Stoppard’s text to add Contrast. For a more light-hearted approach some of Shakespeare’s text is modified. “I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space were it not that I have bad dreams” becomes “He’s depressed, Denmark’s a prison and he’d rather live in a nutshell” to this effect. Stoppard also uses double entendre and puns on well known phrases in order to add to the ‘meaningless existence’ he creates."

The two types of text, contemporary english and the elizabethan language of Shekespeare are juxtaposed in Stoppard's text to make a statement on Elizabethan theatre, and to satirise.

The only other thing- you haven't mentioned existentalism at all... and you also haven't mentioned the transformation of theatrical form.

I hope that helps. Mark= 14/20.

LostAuzzie

HSC
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
I was sure I mentioned existentialism as the philosophical context of R&G but anyways, thanks again.

Estelle

Just a little note:
when you first mention the composer and text in any essay you should always say it in full :

"WILLIAM Shakespeare’s text Hamlet has been transformed by TOM Stoppard into Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead"

sounds better and is more correct, then throught the rest of the essay you can say Stoppard and R & G are Dead or whatever you use to abreviate.

Also, UNDERLINE the texts name! :)

good luck.

Jexi

HSC
Okay here are my two cents.

Shakespeare’s text Hamlet has been transformed by Stoppard into Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead to better suit the contemporary context. Characters, themes, language and setting have all been changed to better suit the new audience. While Shakespeare uses a form of Revenge Tragedy to tell Hamlet’s story, Stoppard uses Absurdist theatre to represent the pervading belief of meaningless existence. Stoppard transforms the setting from Shakespeare’s Castle in Denmark, to his ambiguous location. All of this is changed by Stoppard so that his play can be better received by the modern audience for which it was written.

Like Estelle said, give full name of writer. I would say in your introduction, deal with the concept of transformations. What is transformation? When you said 'better suit the contemporary context' you sort of deals with it but really define transformations so that you don't have to repeat it again like you do in the first sentence and the second sentence (repetition = waste of words).

Rather than saying that its 'modern audience for which it was written for', perhaps express it like 'Stoppard transformes Hamlet, the canonical play to adapt to his own context' or something. Don't linger on about why too much unless it is the question. A sentence or two should fix it.

Shakespeare’s Hamlet was written in the 16th century Humanist era and thus has elements of the beliefs and social attitudes of this time. This was a time of rebellion against authority as evident in the acts of regicide committed by Hamlet and Claudius. There was still some sense of faith in God as evident in Hamlet’s belief that “there’s a divinity that shapes our ends” Hamlet’s choice not to kill Claudius during prayer and the reasoning behind it shows that a belief in the afterlife also still existed in this period.

Hamlet was written in the 17th century (early 17th century), but in the 1600s (though I doubt the marker would care very much but you know). I don't think Hamlet is so much a rebellion against authority. Rather than saying that you might consider bringing in the concept of the Chain Of Being (how it is a hierachy with god at the top followed by the King and should anything happen to the King then the state will be thrown in choatic disorder). Then you can bring in the regicide as your example.

Stoppard’s Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead was written in the 20th Century Existentialist period. A much darker form of Humanism, this was a period brought on by events such as the World Wars and the Great Depression. Following such events people questioned everything including existence. For the main characters, Rosencrantz (hereafter Ros) and Guildenstern (hereafter Guil), “its all questions” as they try to discern their place in a world unknown to them. This was a time when nothing could be counted upon as emphasised in the opening scene where not even the law of probability can be counted upon. Questions of death, life and what they mean place Stoppard’s text clearly within the Existentialist period.

Okay when you're talking about context, compare and contrast. The whole module is about 'comparative study'. Even little things like 'Unlike Shakespeare..blahblah...' will suffice. You should compare the fact that in Hamlet its about a religion whereas in the 1960s, religion is like 'meh we don't care'. Oh and you should say that RAGAD was written in the 1960's. Somehow I think the phrase '20th century Existentialist period' is too vague. Because existentialism is all through the 20th century. And they're slightly varied between the decades. If you are going to bring in Existentialism then you would have to explain it too, which I personally find a bugger so I ignore it and stick to Theatre Of Absurd.

The characters are transformed by Stoppard so that the audience can better relate to the main character. The main character in Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet, is transformed from the protagonist around whom all action revolves, to the minor character whose problems become insignificant. Stoppard’s main character’s Ros and Guil, were originally minor characters in Hamlet, enemies working for the antagonist. They had no developed personality making it difficult to discern between them. They are transformed into the main characters, protagonists, with differing interchangeable personalities, because they better represent the ‘common man’ allowing the audience to better relate to them.

Rather than saying "The main character in Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet, is transformed from the protagonist around whom all action revolves, to the minor character whose problems become insignificant"

maybe change it to "Hamlet, the protagonist from Shakespeare's play is marginalised by Stoppard into an insignificant and trivial character as demonstrated by <insert language or whatever evidenciary support you find". Only because your original sentence seemed a bit awkwardly phrased. no biggie.

Okay when you say that they have no personality, give example. For instance in whatever scene it was, Gertrude mixes them up. Once again give an example of them being the common man.

A major theme in both plays is that of Fate and Destiny. In Hamlet there is the illusion of choice, Hamlet believing he has choices such as that to put on the ‘Antic Disposition’. For Stoppard’s Characters there is no choice or control. Ros and Guil look to others for direction and contemplate whether “there must have been a moment where we could have said no” We as an audience know their fate is sealed by the name of the play itself and that they have no control. In Hamlet there is belief in a master plan, a “divinity that shapes our ends.” In Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead there is no such plan and no reason for events to occur, there is only the ‘meaningless existence’

Don't use 'we' or first person. Rather than saying 'we' you could say 'The audience'.

In both plays the main characters resign to their destiny. When Hamlet says “How all occasions to inform against me and spur my dull revenge” he is resigning to the fact that circumstances are playing a part in his inability to avenge his father. Ros resigns to the fact that he must die saying “I don’t care, I’ve had enough…I’m Relieved”

I think this paragraph is relatively better. Remember, whenever you say a point, back it up otherwise the Markers will kill you for your vagueness

Shakespeare uses a combination of prose and verse. Prose is used in times of less intense dramatic feeling such as the conversations with the grave digger. Verse is used in all other occasions as either blank or rhymed verse. Shakespeare often uses Soliloquies to offer insight into characters emotions and personality. One of Shakespeare’s most famous soliloquies is Hamlet’s “To be or not to be” Soliloquy. In this he is contemplating suicide weighing up the advantages and disadvantages. He comes to the conclusion that life would be better after comparing death to an “undiscovered country” from which “no traveller returns”.
Stoppard manipulates Shakespeare’s language in order to allow his text to be better received and understood by the audience. Large portions of the original text can be found embedded within Stoppard’s text to add Contrast. For a more light-hearted approach some of Shakespeare’s text is modified. “I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space were it not that I have bad dreams” becomes “He’s depressed, Denmark’s a prison and he’d rather live in a nutshell” to this effect. Stoppard also uses double entendre and puns on well known phrases in order to add to the ‘meaningless existence’ he creates.

Okay nice set of techniques here. However, you have to integrate them. You can't treat techniques and concepts as two separate things. You should say your concept then techniques, then example. For instance, the soliloquy can be used to back up your point about Hamlet's indecisiveness and resign. Or even your point about how religion is a heavy influence as the soliloquies portray Hamlet's moral dilemma between religion and revenge.

Stoppard takes Shakespeare’s text, inverts the character roles, modifies the themes and manipulates the language to be better received by a modern audience.

"Better valued by a modern audience"? Remember, to use the terminology - 'context' and 'values'. Conclusion a bit short. But who cares, its the conclusion

Over all, I find your structure a bit messy. Usually people go:

1. Text by Text (intro, Hamlet, RAGAD, Conc)

or

2. Themes (Intro, theme1, 2, 3, conc)

Remember to integrate your ideas with language techniques. And throughout when you talk about your ideas relate it back to context. Like 'blahblah as a reflection of the political uncertainty present in his era'.

There are a lot of things you could mention however, I know its impossible to fit anything in. But try rephrasing some of your sentences so that you're saving words. And maybe trying writing faster. :S Because usually people fit around 1200 words in the given amount of time.

Okay I'm out of breath or brain cells. Overall, C range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)