half yearly (1 Viewer)

cyclonesarah

Hey! Ok my half yearly is on Thursday and I got no idea about anything! I had a 12 month break in the middle of year 11 so i cant remember most of the course which means i dont know the basics which means i go not idea what the hell the teacher is going an about ... im finding it hard to revise the year 11 topics and the year 12 topics! I dont even know what a radical is ...
anyway the exam is on Production of Materials and Acidic environment ... any realy important formulae that i should know or realy important facts that might help???? Ive checked the resources section and got some good revision form there and i got my excel book (yr 11 and 12) and that "revise in a month" excel book and the macquarie revision book. And can yous give me some important yr 11 stuff to know plz?
Oh, if you can tell me what a radical is .... :D

Look i don't why ur doin the yr 11 topics, just do the 2 yr 12 topics, and just do as many past papers as u can, they will really help, although u might not even know the basics but just still do them and good luck

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol my half yearly is tomorrow and i was there for all of year 11 and i know nothing!!! A radical?! wtf!? the only formula that may help that i can remember is the heat of combustion. -MC Delta T...sorry! oh well at least i wont be the only one to fail spectacularly.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
OMG it was sooooo hard. I laughed so much when i got out because i just couldnt believe how damn hard it was!! i knew nothing! omg did we even do an experiment on comparing the reactivity of an alkene with its alkane?! I think not! and what the hell is a current use of a biopolymer?! omg.... fail so bad

~*pixie_poo*~

HSC
i had my half yearly yesterday, it was the last one and it was my hardest... i dont want my results back!

dead

HSC
i agree....maths ext sucks hard. You study and u think you'll do alright , but wen it comes to the actual test, u dont noe wat the hell is going on.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
dead said:
i agree....maths ext sucks hard. You study and u think you'll do alright , but wen it comes to the actual test, u dont noe wat the hell is going on.
or u realise u need 4 hours to complete a 2 hour exam... and start freaking out about time managment.. (in my case anyway)...

oh yeh.. and since its a chemistry thread my chem exam was a little weird... although i didn't go too well... but it wasn't all too difficult... we were asked a question on why humans burp(belch).. or something and u were supposed to explain it in terms of equilibrium..

a very inetersting question...

joeylike2hiphop

joe-king4eva~~~~
HSC
hey chill

dun worri bout ur mark sarah ull b ai with time, and 4 ur year 11 topics u dun relli need it for yr 12 relli, check up on the notes for chem here in BOS. relli helpful!! aniwais study hard and good luck wit that!!!!

jarro_2783

HSC
it's probably a little bit late now. But I think a radical is an ion floating around on its own. Sort of like when you mix Na and Cl you get NaCl, and the Na has a positive charge, but it's on its own without the Cl (I might be wrong, someone correct me if I am, I also don't think it can happen with NaCl, just an example).

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
jarro_2783 said:
it's probably a little bit late now. But I think a radical is an ion floating around on its own. Sort of like when you mix Na and Cl you get NaCl, and the Na has a positive charge, but it's on its own without the Cl (I might be wrong, someone correct me if I am, I also don't think it can happen with NaCl, just an example).
Well, yes you are wrong.

Free radicals are neutral molecules or atoms with unpaired electrons. With unpaired electrons the octet rule is disobeyed and so we predict them to very reactive.

Compare an atom of H, He and Cl. Chlorine are hydrogen gas are diatomic, but helium is monatomic. This is because Cl and H atoms have unpaired electrons (2.7 & 1 configurations).

Free redicals have longer lifetimes in more energetic systems.

Free redicals are often intermediates in reactions, like combustion for example. Also consider ozone creation and destruction.

yadda yadda.

Google it to get more infomation.

Last edited:

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
And the oxygen Lewis dot diagram is a sham. Oxygen is really a diradical. Did you know they've made O4?!!? It's a red solid. Needs pressures above 200000 atms though :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)