Half Yearly exam! (1 Viewer)

brown_sugar

My half yearly exam is on the 2nd topic (Aus place in the global economy). Just wanted to know about the essay q's..any ideas on wat the essay question might b on?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
u could get either a narrow topic such as Protection in Australia, or a broader question such as "analyse the impact of the global economy on australia's economic performance"
r u sure ur half yearly's are only on topic 2?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
My bets is on Exchange Rate (but thats just a guess)! :p
My next guess would be CAD!
Good luck! :)

Saintly Devil

Originally posted by MinAi
a broader question such as "analyse the impact of the global economy on australia's economic performance"
r u sure ur half yearly's are only on topic 2?
I just had my half yearly today, and our question was "Compare the impact of globalisation on Australia and one other economy"

I was pretty prepared for the "one other economy" part, but not the "impact of globalisation on Australia" part. We've done upto the end of exchange rates in topic 2, but I don't get what are the impacts of globalisation on Australia......apart from changes in trade and financial flows, which is done as part of the syllabus.

Like for example, i didn't have a clue about impact of TNC's on Australia, inequality, international convergence etc.

Could someone just give a basic outline of the impacts of globalisation on Australia?

Thanks

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by Saintly Devil

I just had my half yearly today, and our question was "Compare the impact of globalisation on Australia and one other economy"
Wow, thats a broad question. I've done each separately (Oz and China). Can't remember much of what I wrote for the on Aus one, sorry. Of the top of my head:

TNC's - well there's more coz of globalisation. They'd provide employment for locals. They might bring workers with them too, so I spose thats internationisation of the labour market, could bring new skill which would be good if then they train Oz workers
But profits would be a capital outflow. So thats bad.

inequality - Gets wider. I haven't really done this in detail I don't think. I'm sure you could find a gini coefficent statistic somewhere that would prove this nicely tho.

The other biggie is trade and financial flows I would think. If you mentioned all about that, you're set. Thats like a whole chapter, you could crap on for ages there.

Standards of living rise. there can be good statistics for that too.

But yeah, thats a heaps broad question. They can't expect you to have done *that* much in one essay can they ? I wrote like 5 pages for my China one so I'm scared to think of what they expect for both, especially with 40mins per essay (tho how long did you get ?)

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by Lord Ac
My half-yearly next week. Assessing Topic 2 and 3 ...

Ac
Have you already done section three ? Wow.........
Geez, we've only just started it. You're like 4 chapters ahead :(

Saintly Devil

Originally posted by ellipsis

tho how long did you get ?
got 80min to do whole exam which included multiple choice and short answer. I think i had about 40-50 minutes to do it.

ellipsis

HSC
Yeah, well they can't expect *that* much in that short an exam.

Well I'd hope not anyway...

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Originally posted by ellipsis

Have you already done section three ? Wow.........
Geez, we've only just started it. You're like 4 chapters ahead :(
Well, its half yearly's, so, technically, should be half way through ... yeh?

I think you are 4 chapters BEHIND! :):D

My exam is 2.5 hours ...

Av

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
u guys should plan to spend as little time on m/c's and short answers as possible so u can devote more time to essays
at least 50 mins per essay (dun listen to wat the recommended time guidelines say)

for the HSC i spent 1 hr on the m/c and short answer and 1 hr on each essay

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
u guys should plan to spend as little time on m/c's and short answers as possible so u can devote more time to essays
at least 50 mins per essay (dun listen to wat the recommended time guidelines say)

for the HSC i spent 1 hr on the m/c and short answer and 1 hr on each essay
it depends on the weighting of the m/c, short answers and essays ... because depending on your marks (school teachers or hsc), you *can* drop quite a few marks in your m/c and short answers from rushing through them ... but then again, it just depends on the type of person you are ... some people can and some people cant ... :)

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

it depends on the weighting of the m/c, short answers and essays ... because depending on your marks (school teachers or hsc), you *can* drop quite a few marks in your m/c and short answers from rushing through them ... but then again, it just depends on the type of person you are ... some people can and some people cant ... :)
what do u mean by weighting??? i thought it was standard to have 20 marks in m/c, 40 marks in s/a's and 2x20 mark essays

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by Lord Ac

Well, its half yearly's, so, technically, should be half way through ... yeh?
I think you are 4 chapters BEHIND!
Av
Exactly my point ! The Eco syllabus has 4 sections. If you have already finished section 3, you are 3/4 of the way through and therefore ahead .

We have started section three and are also therefore ahead, but not quite as freakily ahead as you seem to be. :D

AGB

HSC
they might not have started at topic one i.e. they may have gone straight to Australia's place in the global economy and skipped the global economy topic???????

brown_sugar

howcome u guys are sooo ahead?!
We're still doing chapter 2! In our half yearly, we're only goin to b tested on the 2nd topic!

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Originally posted by AGB
they might not have started at topic one i.e. they may have gone straight to Australia's place in the global economy and skipped the global economy topic???????
EXACTLY!!

We skipped topic one (except for protection crap which is in topic 3 somewhere as well ... )

So, we have done topic 2,3 and some of 1.

Ac

PG5

HSC
we had our half yrlies 2 days ago
our 1st question that we had to do was something like
'analyse the impact of globalisation on Australia's Balance of payments and exchange rate'

& the other question that i did was
'analyse the impact of protectionist policies on the domestic and global economies'

wow... i can still remember that!

n yeah, our test was on topic 1,2 and the employment section on topic 3

hey... i've got an idea, how bout we swap exams? the more exams the better yeh?
so yeah...it'll help us, esp. with the MC questions

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by PG5

hey... i've got an idea, how bout we swap exams? the more exams the better yeh?
so yeah...it'll help us, esp. with the MC questions
an even better idea is to scan ur exams in, and send them to either Lazarus or tactic (their contacts are on the main BoS site) and that everyone has access to them, and the more ppl that do this, the better :)

PG5

HSC

an even better idea is to scan ur exams in, and send them to either Lazarus or tactic (their contacts are on the main BoS site) and that everyone has access to them, and the more ppl that do this, the better :)
lol, same concept
yeah... i'll try scanning my half yearly papers when i get them back

but yeah, i'm not quite sure how to turn them into .pdf files...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)