HAHA! I nailed IPT (1 Viewer)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Supaneo

I want to come first in IPT for the state... good notice when looking at uni application...
mate dont we all?

Roors

HSC
Wow i think thats excellent wat ur aiming at!
gnrlies congrats on the mark, thats EXCELLENT!!!
No one in my school could get anyhting close to that, i normally get high 80's and thats first!
You're all scaring me now!
What is a good mark for IPT? i mean for the scaling to be good? wat type of mark am i looking at?

losty

roors dont worry bout marks.. its all about ranks and if ur coming near the top, or first as i think you said.. then whether that first is a 87 from you are a 98 from someone like gnarlies from a diff school it doesnt matter.. first is first and thats what your marks will be based on cause different schools have different standards and some exams may be easier than others.... so as long as your doing well in rank dont worry that other people are getting in the 90s from other schools

gnrlies

HSC
Originally posted by losty
roors dont worry bout marks.. its all about ranks and if ur coming near the top, or first as i think you said.. then whether that first is a 87 from you are a 98 from someone like gnarlies from a diff school it doesnt matter.. first is first and thats what your marks will be based on cause different schools have different standards and some exams may be easier than others.... so as long as your doing well in rank dont worry that other people are getting in the 90s from other schools
exactly!

im no expert with the scaling and stuff, but isn't it true that if you come first in your school, your actual mark in the hsc exam is what detirmines your position overall?

becuase theoretically, you might come first in your school and say first in the hsc exam and there would be no way that they could scale you down to come anything other than first in the state (regardless of what school you go to)

Juliet

HSC
Well done gnrlies, its nice to read good news on this forum for once. :D

gnrlies

HSC
Originally posted by skool_angel
hey, gnrlies
congr. on ur mark!!

wat school do u go to?
it sounds so competitive :eek:
Pennant Hills High...

and the only reason why i got that mark was becuase our teachers are lazy and re-cylced the 2002 and 2001 HSC papers. and i did them whilst reading the notes from the BOS as study!

Roors

HSC
Thanks for the replies ppl!
Actually i did an IPT assessment today, and i'm fairly confident about it...so yeh. Well, its nice for the boost of confidence from you guys...and GOOD LUCK to you all!
All the best!!

Juliet

HSC
Originally posted by gnrlies
Pennant Hills High...
ohhhhh, good school. I know a lot of people who went and are going to that school.

Jack_Ass121

btw,,,, what happens if say ur got a class of five and pretty much everybody in the class tops the exam getting in the 90's and u only get like 70's, not because it was an easy test, but beause the peopple in ur class are all nerds,, will u still get scaled down?

del

HSC
N/A
asumming so, your moderated school assessment will become higher.......because evry1 else has done good. so it pushes up the marks in a way

add that to ur exam mark then divide by 2 to get the final mark.....

but scaling is only done for the UAI.........

gnrlies

HSC
to get the hsc mark they will give you for half of your asessment your actual testa mark, and then for the other mark you will get your school asssessment which will actually be the person from your school who got the same rank as you for your school assessment in the actual hsc

del

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by gnrlies
to get the hsc mark they will give you for half of your asessment your actual testa mark, and then for the other mark you will get your school asssessment which will actually be the person from your school who got the same rank as you for your school assessment in the actual hsc
the moderated school assessment mark may not be the same as the persons hsc exam mark who got the same rank as ur school rank in the actual hsc....... (that only happens for the person who cames first)

gnrlies

HSC
thats what i read in another part of the forum...

perhaps im wrong.

Only going off this information

Jait

HSC
N/A
Your HSC mark is calculated by the average of two components. One is your actual exam mark - this is not moderated in any way. The other is based on your ranking in your school. This is moderated based on your schools performance and is rather complicated.

Best illustrated with an example:

Your teacher will give you an estimate from 0 to 100 along with your entire class. Your estimate will in fact "rank" you in that class.

Lets assume your teacher estimates the people in your class all between 54 and 92. Lets also assume you were given the estimate of 92 and are ranked 1.

When your class sits the exam they actually get scores ranging from 48 to 89. You had a poor day and only got 83. What the board will give you is the following marks.

Exam: 83 Estimate: 89 Mark: 86 (the average of the other 2)

You will always get your own exam mark.

You got the estimate 89 because the teachers estimate is moderated to match the actual performance of the class. As you were ranked number 1 and the highest exam mark was 89 you get it. It does not matter that someone else got this exam mark - you are ranked 1 so you get the top ranked score. If you were ranked at the bottom you would get the lowest rank - 48 regardless of who actually got that score in the exam. These figures may vary slightly due to the complicated mathematics used but not by much.

Effectively your class will recieve new estimates that range between the lowest and highest exam marks. The board will keep to the ranking given by the teacher and stay close to spacing of the rankings also. That is to say if you are 5 marks lower than the guy ranked above you your new estimate will try to reflect that gap also.

One other way of looking at this is that your school gains a pool of marks ( add up everyone's exam mark) and these marks are shared amongst all the students based on the ranking by the teacher.

This means that if you are ranked 1 you will get the best mark produced by any student in your school as your estimate. If you arent ranked 1 you cannot get the highest estimate. Remember this is the estimate component only - you will get whatever exam mark you achieve.

Hope this hasnt confused you more. If it has just remember that your class ranking is of supreme importance for calculating your estimate. The estimate will be combined with your actual exam score to give your HSC mark.

BTW Your UAI is based on the combined mark.

PS I didnt take it as bragging but an exclamation of good fortune. Hopefully the fact that you studied all those past tests indicate that you are a good student and deserve the number 1 rank anyway :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)