Gwen Harwood - Variant readings (1 Viewer)

TopDog07

HSC
Hey,

I understand the various readings you can apply to the Gwen Harwood poems but how do u actually incorporate them into an essay? Some questions are so subjective you can't even find a way to include these reading eg. A major theme in Gwen Harwood's poetry is loss. Examine how loss and its implications are explored in at least three of the poems set for study.
Where could you include the variant readings????

emmmy

HSC
i think you should put at least one reading in your essay even if the question doesnt ask. it shows you understand the text.

Felix Jones

HSC
each reading would consider a particular situation in a different way...for example in feminist reading men empowerment of women would be seen as a loss, but in say e.g. post modern, it may not. the point is that the different readings provide different view, hence as a result further insight into the text.

if i were u, i would consider the biblical reading of the poems and how the child loses belief e.g. in glass jar and [possibly father and child.

you could also explore the Freudian reading and the loss of innocence and its impact on the characters lives...

SherwieKute

HSC
ive been told by mi teacher that this year..module b is abit different..she told us not to look at sample essays from past years incase we write our own essay wrong =S i fink ..theres more focus on ur own personal response rather than variant readings? i'm not too sure.. but how can you apply variant readings as well as showing your own interpretations?? wud you hav to write in first person??

Capoeira

HSC
BAsically just talk about the themes in the poems ie; reconcilliation, innocence, experience and how these contribute to a greater self waresness or understanding as a wholde. For each point you make include a quote, the religious reading is the easiest path to go down esp. for poems like the glass jar which is full of bibilicall allusions, so then go blah blah blah... greater understanding, qoute(a biblical one) therefore by looking at gwen harwood in abiblical way we can see the stages of self awareness and the things that she values.. kind of get it?

If you dig around on the net there are hepas of essays. Look at the Board of studies page thay have a good one that makes reference to alot of theological and psycoanalytic readings as well as god quotes. I recomend looking at lots of other essays because you can see how to structure them and how to synthesie your response. also alows you to make a judjement on what you think its about..

x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)