Gwen Harwood / Australian poet (1 Viewer)

Aramat

Hey,
We have only just started this topic and haven't even started putting readings on the text and have an assesment task due soon. I was wondering if anyone could help me please!

clerisy

HSC
Can anyone give me the gist for some readings on the Glass Jar? I've got an assessment due soon, but we've only discussed a Freudian analysis in class and I obviously need a/some different perspective/s to compare...

Aramat

Thanks for your notes without wings.

I'm still a little stuck tho, we've only just started going through the poems and haven't put any readings on them at all.

I'm not even sure how to begin putting readings on them.

If anyone has any help?

Thanks a lot.

Aramat

Thanks Without Wings.
I just hope we go through them before our assesment task is due.:p

BollyBissyBants

hi

hey without wings is there any more critical reading on the glass jar besides physcoanalytical oepidal complex and archetypal reading?

MoOTz

meh~
HSC
Help! my assesment test on Gwen Harwood is tommrow i have studied every poem except the crtical views upon father and child. can anyone suggest a critical response i can talk about besides feminism? Thank u

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
invest in some gwen harwood study guides, those might help.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Its funny how things in english always make you feel bad ;) Im not very good at english, but i try so thats the main thing. Its still not very nice to know youre not good though (but im a firm believer that effort can fix it... i need a motivation jab :p)

Then we started reading father and child... and my teacher cried because her dad was sick... then we moved on to at mornington... and now shes not coming to school cause we're pretty sure her dad died :(

Can i suggest that religious readings work very well with Harwood poetry. If you go to a catholic school or something, and ur sick to death of hearing about religion, use that in your readings because you know your allusions well.

Well back to the drudgery of study... Keep on truckin

clerisy

HSC
Thanks Without Wings.

Another critical theory is New Criticism (which is no longer new), which is a pretty ridiculous theory that was extremely influential in the mid-twentieth century-- it basically revolved around the idea that context and composer's identity has nothing to do with a text, and texts should thus be analysed completely as a separate identity.

caroline86

Thanks Without Wings for your definitions of different readings. my teacher gave me this sheet and i didn't understand every second word!

vis94

HSC
:mad1: Hey umm i'm studying Harwood and need to do a Physchoanalitic reading of her some of her peoms all if possible!! Can anyone help cause i'm lost and can't find anything!
:bomb:

nickienoo

HSC
hey everyone heres a lil info.
The glass jar.
  • a childs attempt to retain innocence.
  • imagery = religious and natural
  • metaphor = good, light v evil, darkeness
  • allussion = music.
  • the child is a representation of innocence.
  • the jar represnets the childs desire not to change himself but to keep everything the same and pure.
  • the passion refers to Jesus' suffering.
  • monstrance is the vessel which holds the consecrated water for adoration in the sevice of Benediction.
  • associating good/evil
  • in his heart the child is not as innoccent as his childhood mite suggest.
  • fiends realise he isnt pure becasue he has nite mares.
  • dissapointed in love evil prey on it.
  • glass jar is his protector, but doesnt protect.
  • son/mother are close but he thinks that father is attacking mother and now no one can protect her. he thinks he is a failure.
  • sees the act of his parents as evil.
  • word child is belittling.
  • transgression from child 2 adult is painful.
  • wen wakes up, new day brings uncertainty.
  • gwen wants to go back 2 her childhood because adult isnt great.
  • glass jar mocks boy.
prize giving.
  • antitheses between youth vs age
  • feminine youth over the pomposity of masculine youth
  • 60's context is male dominated.
  • oxymoron = "sage fool"
  • Eisnebart = middle aged. superior. upper class. prickly. vain.
  • the way the principal tell him jokes sattarises the pomposity.
  • principla is nervous which makes males higher still. girl with titian hair is annoying and michevious. she is playing a game with him. has talent, confidence and buety. she can change him. paradox is she is a student and a master at piano and he is a master.
  • taken this girl and her muisc to make him realise that he doesnt know everything.
Alter Ego
  • alter ego = other self or intimate friend.
  • light vs darkness
  • her soul from a poets point of view is her inspiration.
  • wishes she had mozarts talent becuase his alter ego was within him in his soul as oppoised to her alter ego being next to her. you are more complete with ur alter ego inside you.
  • harwood hasnt attained perfection.
  • the alter ego knows the fullness of her life and attuned to eternity. it leads harwood beyond the negatively percieved domian of time.
  • practices music she practices life and she gets better and learns from her mistakes.
that is just a little summary of what i have done so far. hope you cna get something out of it.
Nickienoo.

R-A-C-H-E-L-L-E

HSC
heya wats gud.. this b ma first tyme usin this buh me was jus wandering does anybody got ani notes on how others could respond to gwen's poetry

CurlyRuby

HSC
Does anyone have a link to the poem "At Mornington"? I'm trying to help out an 08 hsc-er friend, and she has an assessment on it, but I can't find it ANYWHERE on the net. Thanks heaps!

EDIT: Just found withoutwing's faq. Thanks heaps!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)