Guitar Question (1 Viewer)

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
So if you know nothing about guitar gear, don't bother replying...

So my current rig is thus:

Guitars
Ibanez halfbody Acoustic
Tanglewood Jumbo
Ibanez RG something or other
and about to get a PRS SE Custom
also have access to a Yamaha SA2200 hollowbody (one sexy beast), and a Maton Dreadnought something or other

I have 2 amps - A Peavey Valveking 100Watt stack (which gets substituted for my brothers JSX when it's available) and a Fender Power Chorus.

Now my question is mainly about my effects board.
I've only just started using a reasonable amount of pedals, and I'm not sure of my effects chain order etc

So my chain goes like this:

1) Guitar
2) Wireless system (x2 Digital Wireless OR Brace DGW1000 - haven't decided yet)
3) Ernie Ball Volume Pedal with Tuner out into Boss Tuner
4) A-B switch with A going to a tube screamer copy (sounds so sexy with a better more solid body and true bypass) and B going to a D.I. for my acoustic (this D.I. will become a D-TAR Mama Bear eventually)
5) Tubescreamer
6) second A-B footswitch. A => Peavey B => Fender

Then the Peavey has an effects loop (either the JSX or the Fender)
1) I.S.P decimator noise gate
2) Vox Wah
3) Boss DD-7 with tap tempo controller
4) Boss Loop Station RC-50
back to Amp

Fender has no effects loop.

So that's my rig. With the Fender providing the gorgeous bluesy clean and crunchy tones as well as some nice traditional spring reverb and some good old style Fender Chorus. The Valveking/JSX providing smooth clean, heavy crunch (softer crunch with the pedal) and searing lead.

Now my question is thus. Have I got all my effects in the right order?

HSC
you're probably better off asking somewhere like ultimate guitar or the musician section of absolutepunk, the likelihood of there being many people here who can answer your question is pretty slim

Dream-Theater

HSC
There isn't a "correct" order when it comes to effects. Different orders will alter your sound slightly, so you might as well experiment. Just a thought though, shouldn't you put the ISP Decimator last, so it cancels out all the hum you get from the other pedals?

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
@katietheskatie - yea but most of the people on the guitar forums are a bunch of wankers who would tell me to: go and buy better guitars, to go and get some custom pedal board and midi junction box with preset effect loops bla bla wank wank etc.

Much rather see if there's someone here who can answer the question first and only go there as a last resort.

@Dream-Theater - well there is in a way a correct order. Signal flow is very important. I don't actually get hum from my pedals because I use good patch cables and power supplies. The only thing that produces hum is distortion. The decimator goes in front after distortion and before everything else because then you get your best guitar signal going to your Wah pedal... so you wah your good sound, not noise suppress your wah'd sound if that makes sense. And you delay last in the effects loop because you want to get the petering off your complete sound (and that's why volume pedal I assume goes first. obviously with loop station last to get your complete guitar sound.

Well this is MY thoughts, but I can easily be wrong, as a sound engineer friend pointed out that I wanted delay AFTER wah so that I wouldn't be wah'ing the delayed bits.

But other than that he knew little about guitar effects, so that's why I'm here :)

But thanks for the thoughts dude/dudette

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)