Guitar anyone? (1 Viewer)

Jase

HSC
adsta said:
I was able to play 30 seconds worth of flight of the bumblebee (even 30 seconds is a lot of notes).
Whoa! that's crazy... wait, at what tempo?

iwannarock

HSC
flight of the bumble bee is 180bpm 16th notes all alternate picked. its absolutely insane to get up to the skill level required to play it cleanly on guitar and without using hammer ons and pull offs.

i've been playing guitar for about a year now, so thats out of my league.

i picked it up rather quickly, maybe it's because i enjoy learning theory for some reason? i must be some kinda freak. :confused: i dont play obsessively anymore (6 - 8 hours) but this summer i plan to get back into learning more theory so i'll try 3-4 hours a day (it'll end up only 1-2 hours a day i bet which is what i do atm).

now i just need to save 4 grand, buy a marshall stack join a band and live out the rock n roll dream! :D

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I dont play guitar often much anymore, only Hendrix, i dont play anything else.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Shmacka said:
Yeah i use my pinky a fair bit actually. Songs like Hyper Music (Muse), Remember to breather (DC), Wish you were here (Incubus)
THAT IS NOT AN INCUBUS SONG! It's by Pink Floyd

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Cactus said:
THAT IS NOT AN INCUBUS SONG! It's by Pink Floyd
Why cant it be both?
Oh and by the way, Pink Floyd > Incubus x 10000

Brandon Boyd will be recieving a well-deserved kick in the balls next time they tour.

Jase

HSC
I'm finally attempting all of Little Wing. argh, it's so different and a whole lot more fun playing with blues and emotion rather than just.. crappy rock arpeggios.

is that 'wish your were here by incubus' a cover? or a different song of the same name?

iwannarock

HSC
i had a go at that too. i ended up printing the whole tab off of guitar pro. big mistake fuck it annoyed me. i learnt the solo fine but had trouble with the rhythm playing.

is there a tab that just has the lyrics and the chord names?

i would find the playing a million times easier if i had that. with jimi's rhythm playing a lot of it is just notes from chords picked seperately with a lot of pull offs and hammer ons. it makes it real difficult to play off a tab cuz i dont see the big picture (the chords) i just see single note lines and double stops.

with a chord chart i would see Dmin7 and think ah thats how my fingers go it all makes sense now and be able to pick up the intricacies from ear and i would be able to play it just fine. or maybe im just an idiot

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Jase said:
I'm finally attempting all of Little Wing. argh, it's so different and a whole lot more fun playing with blues and emotion rather than just.. crappy rock arpeggios.

is that 'wish your were here by incubus' a cover? or a different song of the same name?
Completely different song. But the pink floyd one is 1000x better.

Jase

HSC
mm that sucks... but at least it's not a cover so little kids don't think that floyd's 'wish you were here' was originally done by incubus.

iwannarock- yeah, don't read the tab.. get the chords and improv it. but most importantly, get the feel rather than the technicalities

Anyway here are the chords that i googled heh:

<pre>
Em G
WELL SHE'S WALKIN' THROUGH THE CLOUDS

Am Em7(VII)
WITH A CIRCUS MIND THAT'S RUNNING WILD.

Bm Bb Am G
BUTTERFLIES AND ZEBRAS AND MOONBEAMS AND, UH FAIRY TALES.

(SPOKEN)
Fadd9 C D D
THAT'S ALL SHE EVER THINKS ABOUT, RIDING WITH THE WIND.

Em G
WHEN I'M SAD, SHE COMES TO ME

Am Em7(VII)
WITH A THOUSAND SMILES SHE GIVES TO ME FREE.

Bm Bb Am
IT'S ALRIGHT, SHE SAYS IT'S ALRIGHT,

C G
TAKE ANYTHING YOU WANT FROM ME .

(SPOKEN)
Fadd9 C D D
ANYTHING ANYTHING

Em G Am7
FLY ON LITTLE WING

Em7(VII) Bm7 Bb Am C G Fadd9 C D D

Em G
YEA, YEA, YEA, YEA LITTLE BABY

Am7 Em7(VII) (fade out)

Am=5775555 Em7=X79787 Am7=575555 Bm=799777 Bm7=797777

Bb=688766 C=335553 D=557775 Fadd9=1X3013 Em=022000
</pre>

company_sin

HSC
Player...Hardcore (at least i was until HSC performance)

busted out: JBT - Take and a medley of Ocean and Myst, Deerhunter song and some wanky uber fingerpicky song (Bob's your uncle)...

I've only just started getting way back into it (last night in particular as am trying to work through all of Echoes *best of Floyd*)

Rock on.

Last edited:

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
Cactus said:
*puts up hand*

words and music
oh cool, so do you find it hard to write music? coz i try to write music, and i just can't. so hard!

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
the easiest method is, you sit down with a guitar and just play......stuff that you already know, and when you find something that sounds cool, just improvise around that sound. If you have a knowledge of music theory (specifically what 'key' a piece is in) it makes it easier. Make up a few riffs in the same key, and then arrange them into an intro, verse and chorus. Then take lyrics you have written and try to make them fit.

I find that the best guitar riffs i come up with are late at night, just playing without thinking. the problem is you have to remember to write them down otherwise you forget.

the other method which works is make up a chord progression and then put words to it. that's probably an easier method actually.

adsta

HSC
Jase said:
Whoa! that's crazy... wait, at what tempo?
sorry bout the late reply, been doing some killer shifts at work and haven't been able to go through all the post.
Anyway to answer your question, I learnt the version john petrucci played at one of the dream theater shows. I could play it at 190bpm (16th notes). Somehow, he plays it at 240bpm.... He is a freak.
But yeah, I've been practising chromatic stuff since i started learning, so it all kinda feel into place, and i just kept upping the tempo. It's a really good exercise, even at slower tempo's.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
I can play a lot of stuff on the piano. My brother plays the guitar... i can play like, 2 bits of some songs, and i suck hugely, but i like to pretend i dont. But i LOVE the piano... what a beautiful instrument. mainly i can play most of Delta Goodrem's stuff, pachabel... anything that anyone is willing to teach me. i sing heaps. my parents can both sing half decent so i got pretty good genes in that department. i love to sing at the top of my lungs cruising around in my car by myself. absolutely NOONE can hear you. its brilliant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)