guides to writing a good essay? (1 Viewer)

vTr

HSC
HELP?! please... guides to writing a good essay?

Can anyone provide a guide to write an essay,
maybe have an essay that i can read and learn from?

links to threads on the forum that are like this? maybe?

i want to work on

introductions
bodies
ways to link texts together etc,
conclusions

i want to expand my vocabulary aswell so that i can correctly link texts and sound intellegent ^_^

and yes.... i know.. im pathetic and illiterate :/
as of yet i chose to blame my forign english teacher that barely speakers the language not to mention her grammars all over the place

i really want to try and do good in the year and i'd love Specific pointers

less this:

" study hard and ulll be fine "

MORE THIS :)

"Study .:: this, this, and ur main text and chosen text ::. and ull be fine"

;)

i really apreciate any help, and id Love a reply anytime soon,
and i know im requesting alot

but this information can be used by others not just me :)

ps: ive got limited time to prepair -_- :( :(
"mr procrastinator?"... thats me!

umm... in return i can help you with any Graphics/mutimedia/Information tech/software design questions you have :)

imho i hate english. so subjective and bias -_- but im willing to learn to get a decient hsc mark like... 50... or somthing

Last edited:

honeybuzz

HSC
hy hey

I think the best thing you can do is study hard I know it's not what you want to hear it's not what I want to hear either. Mind you despite the fact it'd be a major player in me getting a good mark I still don't do it. I find that just looking for examples of essay layouts on the net can help as long as they look as though they are from a reliable source and looking at peoples who have recieved good marks for theirs helps alot!! The best one I have gotten is from my english teacher who smells really bad (just thought ud like to know) and it has 3 different types of essay layouts and they are broken down into smaller bits like for one its broken down into like intro body and all that crap and then it's broken down further so into a few sentences and stuff it really helped me but I don't know where he got it from I can ask if you want.... knowing him though he's a nerd and more then likely wrote up himself which is fine by me he knows his stuff just wish he knew how to use deoderant!!! :rolleyes:
The only other thing I can offer is to type 1 or 2 of them up if you want but it would take forever and I really dont have time but I can try!! If you want that is but yeah as I said just look up a few on the net and ask your teacher as for your vocab READ it doesn't matter what the newspaper is really good! read the business section and opinons and all the boring stuff and any word you see that you like and dont understand GET A DICTIONARY!! The telegraph isnt the best cause its aimed at 12 year olds but the herald is good. I know this is really long but I was originally wrtiting out my english speech thats due in next week and i really need excuses to get out of it but i promised myself I wouldnt leave my room till it was t least half done!! I guess that means no going out for me tonight owells! I should shut up now hope i helped!!

vTr

HSC
honeybuzz said:
I think the best thing you can do is study hard I know it's not what you want to hear it's not what I want to hear either. !

okay thanks dude, its not like i dont wana be told to study its just that id like to know WHAT to study,

if u have a camera or a scanner, can u get me a coppy of the layout thingo and example essay PLEASEEEEE :), u really dont have to type it up, a digital camera, ( i hope u have ) or a scanner ( i hope u also have) can do the same job :) if u need my e-mail i can pm it to you or even contact me on msn messenger if possible :)

ohh and thanks it did help..

OMFG GIVE ME UR EXAMPLEESSAY AND LAYOUTTHING i mean hi :)

honeybuzz

HSC
Another thing!!

I know I really should get to my assignment right now but I can't bring myself to do it!! haha Anyways in an essay one thing my teacher basically screamed at us is ANSWER THE QUESTION he said thats where most students go wrong he reckons you need to answer it in like every paragraph always go back to the question!!!! doubt it helped you but it helped me get out of my assignment.

vTr

HSC
honeybuzz said:
I know I really should get to my assignment right now but I can't bring myself to do it!! haha Anyways in an essay one thing my teacher basically screamed at us is ANSWER THE QUESTION he said thats where most students go wrong he reckons you need to answer it in like every paragraph always go back to the question!!!! doubt it helped you but it helped me get out of my assignment.
yeah only the best of best teachers say that :) ive got a really good software teacher that gave me the most insperational speech, he did psycology in uni, smart smart man: ps OMFG I WANT THOSE NOTES :)

honeybuzz

HSC
vTr said:
a digital camera, ( i hope u have ) or a scanner ( i hope u also have) :)
:( bad news I don't have either!!! I'm sorry lol I dropped my camera in the pool when i was ummmm well u know I don't drink I'm underage and all that.... :rolleyes: so yeah i just dropped it in...

vTr

HSC
honeybuzz said:
:( bad news I don't have either!!! I'm sorry lol I dropped my camera in the pool when i was ummmm well u know I don't drink I'm underage and all that.... :rolleyes: so yeah i just dropped it in...
...sheezle gosh gah ..... no webcam? camera phone? :S uhhh

*cries WHY MEEEEEE* DAMN U MURPHY ur laws suck the fat 1

self thought :
okay ...time to chose, to pester a fellow student in writing up notes, or letting them do their work

...hmmmmmmmmm

would i do it for them? mmm i guess i would if they wanted it enough :/
and i do REALLY want it because i have an exam and writen tasks due in 3 days :/.... cough
hmmm......

would u mind quickly typing up the structure thing ( im guessings its small so do it in point-form)
and the way ur teacher links texts :S
and the intro and conclusion starting :S

... err... i love you? * looks up with big googley eyes*

Last edited:

honeybuzz

HSC
Wow

U better love me!! lol
I'll see what I can do I'll type up as much as I can I have to go out soon my dad just called and said I have to go to a family dinner because my grandfather passed away so I'll post whatever I get done before I gotta leave and if I can find it i have paper everywhere I threw my book across the room when this assignment pissed me off lol

vTr

HSC
honeybuzz said:
U better love me!! lol
I'll see what I can do I'll type up as much as I can I have to go out soon my dad just called and said I have to go to a family dinner because my grandfather passed away so I'll post whatever I get done before I gotta leave and if I can find it i have paper everywhere I threw my book across the room when this assignment pissed me off lol
grandfather passed away :( :S , i really apreciate wat ur doing, sorry 4 ur loss :/ i lost mine when i was 15 i wasent too close, but it wasent good seeing my dad sad....

btw:
thankyouthankyouthankyou :)

honeybuzz

HSC
ok really simple breakdown might not even help you but here goes
First P: State argument, outline points to be addressed and perhaps a brief definition. Starting with a quote or including one helps to arouse reader.

Basic structure for the next 4-5 P. -Topic sentence (main idea and it's links to the previous paragraph argument)
-Explanation/Discussion of the pointincluding links between texts
-Detailed evidence (close textual reference-quotes, incidents and techniques discussion)
-Tie up by restating the points relevance to argument and question

Conclusion -Summary of points
-Final Sentence that restates your argument or idea should obviously relate to question.

Ensure you focus on the audience who it's being directed to use appropriate vocab!!! Always assume it is formal unless tld otherwise

Purpose is to ANSWER THE QUESTION. Should be solidly structured so its composer can analyse ideas. DO NOT RETELL STORY OR STATE THE OBVIOUS

Any essay can receive the marks if you succeed in answering the question correctly.

Ok i know this might not help but its really the best i can do for now Ill try and scan it at school if i remember on monday just for you!! lol

honeybuzz

HSC
Oh and seriously mine is really simple and very watered down so definatly do a search on the net and look for examples it really does help... and it's ok I had nothing better to do except sit here and stare at my assignment

vTr

HSC
honeybuzz said:
Ok i know this might not help but its really the best i can do for now Ill try and scan it at school if i remember on monday just for you!! lol
you must really love me too :O ;)

id really like that, write it on ur arm,
with perm marker ofcorce :)
"give that sexy guy on the forums a coppy of the example essay and stuff "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)