Group of Eight - Aus Unis??? (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Stanford was next on the list, so it didn't made it..

krn_boy

Survivor39 said:
That's like asking are there any advantages of going to ivy league:
Brown University,
College of Rhode Island,
Columbia University,
Cornell University,
Dartmouth College,
Harvard University,
University of Pennsylvania,
Princeton University,
Yale University)

of course, there are :p ;)

It's called elitism. hehehehehe
There are some good schools that aren't ivy. MIT and Stanford University are both top 5 universities in the states. Duke University is rated higher than alot of those schools on the rankings.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hmm, are people going to put "University XYZ, Group of Eight" on their resumes?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The whole point of elite instistutional organisations is that you don't need to indicate their membership, as that should be well known. If you need to tell someone it's group of eight then it might as well not be at all. :rolleyes: :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Haha perhaps sour grapes at missing out? What about UTS' proud declaration of their ATN membership?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't need Go8 to get a job as a Nanotechnologist - UTS has the best Nano department in Australia (the Institute for Nanoscale Technology) and we're offered jobs the world over. So, failing Med and/or Law, I won't need to worry about paying the bills. :)

Ceara

HSC
N/A
Hey all!
I'm in my third year of a psychology honors degree at Flinders in Adelaide - which as you know is a non go8 school.
I must say that in psychology at least, we are far superior to Adelaide University in terms of the research that is conducted, as well as in the actual course structure - we've got around a third more psychology topics that we can undertake compared to Adelaide.
The general attitude of flinders students studying psyc is that the adelaide uni degree is nowhere near as good, and the superior number of top quality journal articles we publish really bears that out.
Thats the same in quite a few areas at Flinders.

If anyone has any questions about the three universities in SA (or their campuses) I know my way around, since I have friends at all of them - although I know flinders best of course. I even live on campus.

Which reminds me. In terms of living options, Flinders is easily the best in SA. We're out of the city a bit and the university has some really great new on campus accodomations :D

My opinion of the go8 is that they are ridiculously out of date and elitist. It really pays to know what you're after from your degree.

There are three main types of universities in Australia - the old-school go8 universities (adelaide, UQ etcetc), the universities in the next wave around the 70's (Flinders in Adelaide, Griffith in Brisbane etcetc) and then the universities built in the early 90's (unisa, QUT etc)

The older universities seem to be more traditional in their approach, and more theory based, whereas the younger universities are more practical. Both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses.

I've found for me that studying psych at flinders has been great. We're the uni university in SA that has a work experience program for third year students in the honors degree! I've been out working with real clients, and even have a job doing ABA therapy from my research placement with an autism early invervention program.

It pays before choosing a uni to really look into exactly what is offered, it really, really does. Go to the uni website, look at the topics you can choose, and look at them in detail! Read up on the lecturers and see what you can see about them and their research interests.
This is especially the case for research-based things.
I'm lucky that I'm at flinders for psych, they were my first preference and even though it wasn't easy to get in, it was so worth it because of the way the degree is structured.

Anywyas, any thoughts? SOrry for my rambling.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Ceara said:
The general attitude of flinders students studying psyc is that the adelaide uni degree is nowhere near as good, and the superior number of top quality journal articles we publish really bears that out.
Thats the same in quite a few areas at Flinders.
of course flinders students think that?! adel and UniSA kids think the same too.. that my uni course is superior..:|

Ceara said:
My opinion of the go8 is that they are ridiculously out of date and elitist.
its based on the top 8 in research in everything.. flinders isnt top 8 in everything...but then neither is LaTrobe.. but they came through with a recent finding in muscle biology which shows that they can be good too..
yes Go8 are elitist but usualli its cos they hav the alumni and the experience..

Ceara said:
The older universities seem to be more traditional in their approach, and more theory based, whereas the younger universities are more practical. Both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses.
thats tru but uni wasnt always needed to get employment.. back in the day nursing didnt need a degree..but then here we are... theory has been the old approach in NSW .. UWS use to be a set of colleges which handed out diplomas.. hence their courses are practical.. its just change over times..

Ceara said:
It pays before choosing a uni to really look into exactly what is offered, it really, really does. Go to the uni website, look at the topics you can choose, and look at them in detail! Read up on the lecturers and see what you can see about them and their research interests.
This is especially the case for research-based things.
I'm lucky that I'm at flinders for psych, they were my first preference and even though it wasn't easy to get in, it was so worth it because of the way the degree is structured.
i totally agree :) ure right on most things.. just ppl hav to realise that Go8 in undergrad yrs is not necessarily ultra important.. in postgrad it is..

choose uni based on funds for teaching and resources available.. well in undergrad thats tru :p

epsilon

HSC
Lol! I'm a recent migrant and I knew about the Go8! I'm suprised that so many of you guys didn't. I think I saw it on some pamphlet somewhere. Basically, it all the 8 unis that the 1st post listed. I think UoS, UNSW, and ANU are the ones in NSW. And yes, from what I gathered, the Go8 are Australia's equivalent to America's Ivy League unis. Elitism... ;)

I think the term sandstone applies to UNSW and ANU too, in addition to UoS. It doesn't necessary have to be made from sandstone! I think all the Go8 unis are called sandstone unis.

ziggyboy

HSC
epsilon said:
I think UoS, UNSW, and ANU are the ones in NSW. And yes, from what I gathered, the Go8 are Australia's equivalent to America's Ivy League unis. Elitism... ;)
This may be so from an international perspective but with all honestly, a lot of unis here do not care so much about prestige as much as Americans do. There are less than 40 universities in Australia and how many in America? Aside from unis conferring degrees they also have colleges while in Australia, TAFE only confers diplomas and certificates. One reason why this country isn't so particular with univerisity prestige is because Aussies do not value education as much as other countries do. Many do not even plan to go to uni or even TAFE and hold managerial/executive positions without degrees. This is very rare in America or in Europe.

The funny thing is that many people I know complain that 3 years is a waste and they could spend the time working. Little do they know that American unis have 4 year degrees (with some engineering taking 5) and yet most of them still go to uni! There's no such thing as a 3 year degree in America.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)