Greens call for Senate inquiry into stimulus spending (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
And whether or not it is necessary to continue it or if it could be cut off early to reduce debt.

Make Henry justify spending, say Greens | The Australian

Since the Coalition will no doubt support this inquiry, would would the result be if they both decided to stop it early? Could they, or is that up to the government? I guess what I'm asking is: can the Senate 'unpass' a bill?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It'd be really nice if they fucked off with those gigantic signs being put in schools, tbh.

Random_dude

HSC
And whether or not it is necessary to continue it or if it could be cut off early to reduce debt.

Make Henry justify spending, say Greens | The Australian

Since the Coalition will no doubt support this inquiry, would would the result be if they both decided to stop it early? Could they, or is that up to the government? I guess what I'm asking is: can the Senate 'unpass' a bill?
hmm, i am just reading about the aussie senate on wiki, and i think they actually can.
here, have a look.

Australian Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
The Coalition have been doing doubting the stimulus spending from the very beginning - why is it more important now that the Greens are doing it?

My answer would be that all the apologists are yet again jumping on the Greens bandwagon, maybe you'd like to correct me, though, Shodan.

Preparing to be gang banged by someone who knows more about this than I do, but jeez, I just can't stand those Greens :angry:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
The Coalition have been doing doubting the stimulus spending from the very beginning - why is it more important now that the Greens are doing it?
It's important because the Greens can actually decide to halt it if they want (balance of power), whereas the Liberals have been flailing against it in a most contrarian manner all along.

My answer would be that all the apologists are yet again jumping on the Greens bandwagon, maybe you'd like to correct me, though, Shodan.
That statement doesn't even make sense - it's just a collection a words forming hot air. From my perspective I would be trying to 'correct' your irrational dislike of the Greens, and I don't think I would achieve much. You're stuck in your ways, c'est la vie.

Preparing to be gang banged by someone who knows more about this than I do, but jeez, I just can't stand those Greens :angry:
The crux of it is that the Greens saw this stimulus as necessary, and still do, (whereas the Liberals couldn't fathom its purpose to begin with, like they can't fathom many things, such as compassion for refugees) but want a frank enquiry into whether or not it continues to be necessary now that the economy is clearly in better shape than predicted and compared to the rest of the world. Obviously if it's not necessary, there's no need to continue it.

The Greens are not tied down by Labour's need to continue the stimulus so as not to vindicate some camps of the Liberals.

As a final note, the Senate enquiry may well vindicate continued spending, as that's certainly what most economists and world leaders advocate right now, so don't get your hopes up for a Coalition 'triumph'. ;)

C

copkiller

As a final note, the Senate enquiry may well vindicate continued spending, as that's certainly what most economists and world leaders advocate right now, so don't get your hopes up for a Coalition 'triumph'. ;)
If most mainstream economists who are actually in a position to influence public policy are so smart, why did we have the crisis in the first place?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
If most mainstream economists who are actually in a position to influence public policy are so smart, why did we have the crisis in the first place?
Australia didn't have this crisis. We're barely even experiencing the effects of America's crisis. Australia is repeatedly ranked as having the strongest finance sector in the world (alongside Switzerland and Canada). Take a look at the state of our banks - this crisis has actually been an opportunity for them because their competitors are buckling at the knees while they are taking barely a scratch (indeed, they're doing better in many areas than they were before the crisis, which is one reason they're making so many acquisitions).

spyro14

HSC
The crux of it is that the Greens saw this stimulus as necessary, and still do, (whereas the Liberals couldn't fathom its purpose to begin with, like they can't fathom many things, such as compassion for refugees)
Just because they don't care that much about them, it doesn't mean they can't fathom compassion for refugee's. Just means it's an expensive burden to carry for people that are often impossible to identify and who will struggle for the remainder of their lives to try and integrate into a community that will ultimately never completely accept them.

Tangent

HSC
Just because they don't care that much about them, it doesn't mean they can't fathom compassion for refugee's. Just means it's an expensive burden to carry for people that are often impossible to identify and who will struggle for the remainder of their lives to try and integrate into a community that will ultimately never completely accept them.
So instead of trying to help them, do nothing and make their lives hell instead?

spyro14

HSC
So instead of trying to help them, do nothing and make their lives hell instead?
Not condoning that, just pointing out it's very expensive. I personally think it's worth the expense, some people don't and I can understand that.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
It's important because the Greens can actually decide to halt it if they want (balance of power), whereas the Liberals have been flailing against it in a most contrarian manner all along.
So they're coming along and claiming all the credit?!

Psha! How dare they!

Oh wait. It's politics :mad1:

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
The greens are wasting tax payer money to inquire about wasting tax payer money.:hammer:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
The greens are wasting tax payer money to inquire about wasting tax payer money.:hammer:
Senate enquiries are a waste of taxpayer money? That's new.

Then again, you don't believe in taxation or democracy, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

C

copkiller

Not condoning that, just pointing out it's very expensive. I personally think it's worth the expense, some people don't and I can understand that.
Its not expensive at all. It costs nothing to have them live freely in the country.

What's expensive is locking them up in detention centers, treating them like criminals and making them go through a time consuming, bureaucratic system to process their claims.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I agree.

They are in fact an economic injection when they are living in this country, as opposed to locked up in detention centres offshore.

And it's up to the rest of the country to decide if they will ever ultimately integrate into Australian society, so if we all take Spyro's attitude then no, they won't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)