Greek World 500-440BC essay tips and questions (1 Viewer)

ildgeesethatfly

HSC
(Yes, I'm terrible, yes, I could fail.)

The possible questions that I have great essays for are:

*Everything Peloponnesian league
*Peloponnesian League contrasted with Delain League
*Greek Unity
*The consequences of Greek Victory over the Persians in period 490 to 479.

I think, and have been told, that it is pretty likely that some of these will come up.
opinions?
what should I madly study now?
Thank you!!

somborac

HSC
Unlike you, i pray they dont ask us a question on Pelleponesian league nor Athenian Democracy. But hope there are questions on
- Persian wars
- role of individuals during persian wars
- reason for victories
- delian league
- ionian revolt

so i suggest u study athenian democracy

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I hope they ask WHY the greeks won the Persian wars....that would be the BEST question. coz there's so much to say!

i guess u should just study all ur essays and hope that out of the 4 questions (2 from hisotical period and 2 from the additional) at least one of them is one of ur essays :p thats what im doing.
:uhhuh:

ildgeesethatfly

HSC
yeah, that would be a good question. and it can kind of be twisted into the greek unity question and visa versa. so, like, 2 birds with one stone.
so let's both just pray a lot, then!

CcC_BoY

help!!

hey im doin this topic too and i was just wondering if anyone could give me sun info on the main people such as cimon...whom came after the persian wars or became famous duing the wars and later were still famous..... i was told that theres a big chance the will ask about politics...

ildgeesethatfly

HSC
I know bugger all about Cimon, sorry, but go to the notes section on here and there is a good summary of the entire topic.

Do you mean politics as in Athenian democracy? Because I've also heard that its likely that there will be something on that. But I kind of don't get why its such a tip because it was in the 2002 paper: "Account for the development of Athenian democracy during this period". So will it maybe be about the actual workings of the democracy instead? tips anyone?

Last edited:

cuivienen

HSC
Well realistically, the four questions asked are usually 2 battle related questions and 2 politics/delian league style of questions...

I have a feeling they are going to ask a personality/battle question...so something like Themistocles' or Miltiades' influence to Greek victory with their associated battles *prays*

i_am_an_genius

I was looking at the sylabus and as well as the Ahenian Democracy stuff and the Persian wars, they can make it really narrow nd talk about one person's influence in the period, but im hoping they cant ask about Persian leaders - surely not, since its the greek world - any clarification on that would be nice :S

ildgeesethatfly

HSC
god, technically they could ask about persian leaders.
4.2: Persian Leaders- Darius, Mardonius

at least if they did it would be a pretty straightforward question, though?

cuivienen

HSC
somborac said:
they asked personality question last year
So they did...perhaps they could be smart alecs and test us on it again in the event that some people deliberately didn't study for a personality related question...but thats highly unlikely...

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
My teacher, was one of them people that designed the sylabus, she says the only personalities in question 34 for 500-440BC will be about:
*Cimon
*Aristides
*Miltiades
*Themistokles

Also may i mention the question for 34ish should include:

The first choice:
It definetly Political reforms and Athenian democracy/ or something with democracy linked to the persian wars (NAVAL BILL)

and the other choice in the question:

*Persian wars (probably preperations and or something about the first persian wars)

*Persian wars and miltiades, Cimon, Themistikles, Aristides. (Aristides is the best bet)

*Delian league (probably not as it has been on like twice)

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
:uhhuh: yes thank you very much!

i'm most prepared for these two questions:
Ralph said:
*Persian wars (probably preperations and or something about the firs persian wars)

*Persian wars and miltiades, Cimon, Themistikles, Aristides. (Aristides is the best bet)
so i'm praying we do get one of those :p

but that's a really good set-out of the 4 questions. its very broad so it helps people with strengths in different areas. ie. political and/or wars

cuivienen

HSC
Anyone have an essay on Aristides that they could share? He is one of the personalities I am least prepared on...and knowing my luck, they'll ask it this year...

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
:uhhuh: yes thank you very much!

i'm most prepared for these two questions:

so i'm praying we do get one of those :p

but that's a really good set-out of the 4 questions. its very broad so it helps people with strengths in different areas. ie. political and/or wars

Thats right,

But just to be safe learn your athenian democracy as there is a 50% chance it'll be there. Also know your delian league, its like 25% of the course, even though it probably woun't be on the test, make sure you know the dis adv and adv for athens and it members, it organisation. Simple it quite straight forward.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
cuivienen said:
Anyone have an essay on Aristides that they could share? He is one of the personalities I am least prepared on...and knowing my luck, they'll ask it this year...

Plutarch goes into it, aswell so look him up in relation to Cimon, they wount ask him by himself, its to brief, it will be in conjunction with cimon. I found a scafold offered in another forum, its useless but it'll give you a hint:
Role of Aristeides
∑ As a military leader
- Set an example at Marathon for Generals to defer to Miltiades as the "better man" giving him full credit
- Marathon, fought "in the centre where the struggle was most furious"
- With Themistocles led and destroyed Persian fleet at Salamis
- Helped Themistocles by reporting Persian encirclement of Salamis.
- Aristeides led Greek force that "destroyed the flower of Persian youth"
- Commanded Athenian contingent at battle of Plantae which drove Persian army away from Greece
- Commanded Athenian contingent in Hellenic league. Plutarch says Pausanias was antagonistic that allies urged Aristeides to take control,
However
- Plutarch idealises him: "Aristeides was a quiet, steady man who loved justice and truth and would never lie, flatter or abuse anybody"
- Sealey suggests that due to a sea level rising since antiquity, the channel between Salamis was too narrow so credit for alerting about the encirclement of salamis is impossible.
- Why would allies have suddenly changed their mind about being subservient? This may have been more urging on the part of Athens – or a way to make Aristeides look better in the eyes of history.
∑ As part of the Delian league
- Aristeides took over as "chief organiser" (Eherenberg) of Delian fleet
- Aristotle says Aristeides assessed Phoros "fairly".
- Plutarch reports that Aristeides opposed the movement of the Delian treasury to Athens, as it was "unjust but to Athens advantage"
However
- Fairness of phoros? The total sum of 454 talents in the "Athenian quota lists" at the beginning, compared to 490 later indicates that, with an increase in members, the early member were charges a great deal
- How could he be opposed to this movement, as it being dated at 454 it is to late for him to still be alive (sealey), when it is told by Sealey that he died in 468BC.
∑ As a politician
- Was a conservative and opposed Themistocles Naval Bill
- Election as archon in 489 following Marathon and was very strict with "opposing anybody breaking the rules of Cleisthenes’ reforms" Eherenberg
- Aristeides the just
- Ostracised after opposing Themistocles Naval bill
- A law was passed about exiles having to be outside a line between Geraitos and Skyllaion as Aristeides was within this
- Plutarch says Aristeides had no opposition, but Themistocles did
- Plutarch says that he was so poor (as he did not profit from politics) that his tomb was "built at the public expense"
However
- Aristeides the Just – political propaganda – an encomium
- Plutarch is critical of Themistocles, reflecting wide distance in writing – proof that he had become powerful
- Why would he be ostracised if there was no opposition? Eherenberg

cuivienen

HSC
Yeah I was thinking that Aristides didn't really do a lot, apart from his involvment in Marathon etc, and political significance/contributions...

Thanks for sharing! *quickly prints*

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Delian League was in the Catholic trial wasnt it? I'd love that question! Or a question on Athenian Democracy, I think that one is a pretty safe bet, as is a question on a personality but as for which... take your pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)