Greece 500-400BC - What has evryone leant?? (1 Viewer)

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
Hey people, my teacher has taken a risk and only taught us about the 4 Persians wars(ie Marathon, Thermo, Salammis & Pataea) in a lot of detail....totally ignoring stuff like ionian revolt, delian leage, development of athenian empire n stuff - she says that there will ALWAYS be a question JUST on the Persian wars....is that so?? Has anyone else 's teacher done the same or am i gonna be screwed on tuesday?

hipPo3

HSC
they are battles .. not wars
try not to get those two words mixed up .. it could cost u a few marks in the test

Look at the past papers .. im not sure if they would, i normally have sparta as my Quick qeustions and leave all the essays for A.E.O.K

My teacher strongly concentrated on society of Sparta .. we had to learn about the wars/battles on our own

btw.. i believe theres only 3 major wars in this time period ..
for Sparta:
Persian war
Pelponesian war
Messienian (never known how ti spell it correctly) war

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm imo thats a very risky thing to do. The Perisan Wars (Of which the battles you speak of are part of) Im pretty sure only cover one dot point in the syllabus.

There are 4 main things i believe they could ask:

- The Persian Wars
- The Delian League
- Development of Athenian Democracy.
- Sparta

Now although they technically give you 4 choices (2 in each section) If there are questions for your other Historical period that prove unfavourable/ or favourable, that will cut out 2 of your choices, so you'll be left with 2 in reality....

I advise you learn another one of the possible topics as back up. You should have ideally learnt the entire syllabus in detail, but its slightly too late for that now

Last edited:

floyd_pepper

HSC
Rafy said:
There are 4 main things i believe they could ask:

- The Persian Wars
- The Delain League
- Development of Athenian Democracy.
- Sparta
dont forget personalities as well

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, the personalities... You should also know them in relation to those 4 key areas, as each one played a significant role in each. Key could ask a question specifically on the person (usually relating it to the area in which they were significant) or just a genral question on one of those things (In which case you still need to refer to the central personalities in your response)

Main personalites are for Athens: Miltiades, Themistocles, Cimon and,
Sparta: Pausanias, Leonidas

Btw isnt it 500-440BC?

iamthecoolest

HSC
yeh it is 440 bc. hope they dont ask a question on a personality like leonidas or pausanias. doubt they will though as there is little to no sources that focus on their lifes unlike cimon and themistocles etc.

bind

aah. *big big fingers crossed* hope there is a lovely question on the delian league. haah i cant really remember all those battle things. whoops. we sort of rushed through this topic in class. rats. maybe ill put my quotes to "daytripper" by the beatles to help me remember stuff. weeee this hsc thing is fun. *big stunned face*.

*skippity skip* gooood luck dumplingcakes

caligem

Uni Dropout
HSC
ahhh crap, i have the same problem, we focused on the persian wars 490 and 480-479, and then AFTER the trials we got given a whole lot of sheets about the delian league and the personalities etc, most of which i havent read yet. However i do have the past questions, 2001 to 2004 and YES there is always (so far) a question on the persian war period (though sometimes about a personality, eg. Themistocles development of naval power for 2nd persian war) and then a question on the delian league or athenian democracy (also sometimes involving a personality, eg. Aristides or Cimon). Basically ive decided that i just dont have enuf time 2 learn the delian league stuff, so im gunna focus on the battles (although there are 6 battles in the wars, not 4? Artemisium and Mycale?) and maybe Themistocles & Pausanias just in case its a personality q. Overall u have 4 questions 2 choose from (in sections 3 and 4) so i figure i'll b able to tackle one of em.

HSC
yeh I'm kinda in the same situation- Delian League/ Athenian empire is my strong point- my only point really. (and for the Persian Wars theres also Sestos- making 7 battles, but Sestos is sort of minor). And even though there's four questions... my other period is Egypt- which I also kinda skimped on.. so I don't know whether to take a chance and do the popular essay questions in detail- like warrior pharoah for Egypt and Delian Leage for Greece.. whats everyone else doing?

wanderlust

HSC
we learnt most of the sections but not really in detail. I just hope they don't ask us a question on personalities, although they probably will, they usually do. Don't forget cimon! Oh and in response to whoever started this thread it's probably not the best idea to only know the second persian invasion because even if they do ask a question it might be in relation to a personality, or like consequences of the first invasion and how they effected preparation for the second invasion and therefore the battles would not be the main bulk of the response. However if you feel like you want to quickly learn another section which pops up often i suggest the delian league because it's always a pretty predictable question and easy to remember. All you have to do know is it's organisation and the different activities and it won't be too difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)