• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Great Resumes = Great Results (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah within a week of moving to Sydney I had been offered 3 jobs.... I actually started my job in less than 24 hours after first applying!

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i actually think its really easy to get a job in the hosp industry..
my resume isnt pro, have no retail exp and i got calls from virgin mobile, dick smith + perfume connection

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
I'm quite excited starting this job this saturday.

The atmosphere is great, i mean really great is at the warf, it feels good because working from a shitty place eg. Maccas/factory to a excellent club has a huge difference and the pay :uhhuh:

But the hours are shit 10 1/2 hrs wtf... this is going to kill me i may collapse in pain :uhoh:

baxter

Little Miss
HSC
a good resume is hard to come by really

some employers, particularly those within the retail industry prefer a photo so they can assess before the interview, whether you have the right style of dress for their store.

other employers like at least 3 references provided, 1 written and 2 contact numbers.

from all of the managers within retail i've ever spoken to, they've all said that they greatly appreciate a letter (as separate from ther resume, possibly attatched to the front) stating why you would like the job and what you can bring to the company whilst achieving the companys needs.

Also i've been told that within the interview, a knowledge of the company, their aims, their product is a must. For me, this involved researching denim and the construction of jeans.

Another important factor to consider is your "vibe" which the interviewer picks up throughout the course of the interview. Of course, this varies from occupation but clearly, most jobs you will need to work within a team and thus, a person who contributes and is likeable will be favoured. For this reason, ask the interviewer questions and make an effort to talk to a few employers before the interview.

At the same time, I got my job during yr10 with no experience whatso ever, whilst doing all of this. Plus, its an absolutely amazing job with great people in a great place, they fit in with school and are really flexible.

I have also been warned that when seeking a reference from a previous employeer (Which i've never had to do, but have been told this by other store managers) to receive not a "Reference" but a "Recommendation". That one word can make a world of difference!

Also, make sure u hand your resume to the manager with a brief explanation of how qualified you are (even if that doesn't necessarily mean previous work experience) and consequently, what you can bring to the company. Though, this should be given.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thanks for that, that was great

and i love the pic of mandy in your av

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by baxter
a good resume is hard to come by really

some employers, particularly those within the retail industry prefer a photo so they can assess before the interview, whether you have the right style of dress for their store.

other employers like at least 3 references provided, 1 written and 2 contact numbers.

from all of the managers within retail i've ever spoken to, they've all said that they greatly appreciate a letter (as separate from ther resume, possibly attatched to the front) stating why you would like the job and what you can bring to the company whilst achieving the companys needs.

Also i've been told that within the interview, a knowledge of the company, their aims, their product is a must. For me, this involved researching denim and the construction of jeans.

Another important factor to consider is your "vibe" which the interviewer picks up throughout the course of the interview. Of course, this varies from occupation but clearly, most jobs you will need to work within a team and thus, a person who contributes and is likeable will be favoured. For this reason, ask the interviewer questions and make an effort to talk to a few employers before the interview.

At the same time, I got my job during yr10 with no experience whatso ever, whilst doing all of this. Plus, its an absolutely amazing job with great people in a great place, they fit in with school and are really flexible.

I have also been warned that when seeking a reference from a previous employeer (Which i've never had to do, but have been told this by other store managers) to receive not a "Reference" but a "Recommendation". That one word can make a world of difference!

Also, make sure u hand your resume to the manager with a brief explanation of how qualified you are (even if that doesn't necessarily mean previous work experience) and consequently, what you can bring to the company. Though, this should be given.

thanks for that......
also, do u happen to know sylvia ledang?..shes a 03'er?

cakes

hi
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
thanks for that......
also, do u happen to know sylvia ledang?..shes a 03'er?
shes like my reeeeeally good friend!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)