GREAT EXPECTATIONS - Charles Dickens (1 Viewer)

lazybum

HSC
N/A
I just picked up this literary classic, and my presumption of it was totally wrong. Never explicitly told exactly what the book is about, i thought it was this intellectually challenging, psycho analytical novel, so imagine my surprise when i started reading. The narrator's name is PIP and is the main protaganist who finds his true self (becomes 'oncommon' as Uncle Joe puts it) as the novel progresses. Dickens style is very detailed, and Bryce courtney, i find, writes in a similar intricate way, albeit modernised. (i like courtney's books very much so i'm hoping as things speed up, i'll similarly enjoy this). however, as much as i like dickens humour and articulate writing, the plot, as far as i have read, is a tad monotonous and heralds nothing eyegrabbing and exciting.

I presume the story is set in the 18th/19th century, and the customs of adullts towards children is utterly abborent! Children are not to be heard or seen, and social etiquette is a must. ( our youthful generation would have been detested, jailed and most probably put to death for rebellion, in pip's day).

I'm only up to chapter 10, and nothing much has happened, except a tiny incident with 2 convicts, and Pip's going to a stale woman's house to 'play.' The book reminds me very much of the detested and tedious 'emma' by Jane Austen, ( yes i did do that for hsc!) where trivial occurences such as the ball and frank churchill's arrival, are blown totally out of proportion, and where, throughout the course of the novel, the characters remain in highbury and nothing very exciting happens. I'll continue reading Great Expectations only becaause it is a classic. Maybe there is a turn of events, and something fascinating will appear very soon, which will make me understand why this novel is heralded as one of the century's greats.

Last edited:

malayz_angel

Ugh I didn't like 'Great Expectations' much either *cringes as literary gods throw lightning bolts* I studied Emma this year and I actually did like that novel (and read the other five Austen novels) but 'Great Expectations' just didn't do it for me. I started reading 'Wuthering Heights' ages ago and still haven't gone past the first few pages, does anyone know whether it turns out better than 'GE'?

lazybum

HSC
N/A
thank god the pace in the book has picked up a tad! pip is in the big city, the lucky recipient of an anonymous donor who wishes to make him a gentleman. In his mind pip thinks miss havisham's his benefactor, for she wants to join him and her adopted daughter estella. pip stays with the pockets half the week, and their son, his very good friend, the other half. He spends much, does nothing with his time but run up a debt, visits mr wemmick in his castle, and Mr Jaggers at his office of prominence. Of Joe he thinks of nothing and is most ungrateful to his childhood friend and father. I'm currently at the part when along comes the convict he so wishes to get away from, who tells pip it is himself who has given pip the small fortune. The money is obviously illegitimate, and pip now has to accept this convict into his home - oh how he wishes that he never had these GREAT expectations and never left Joe and the forge!!!!!!

clerisy

HSC
I never liked Great Expectations because I never liked Pip... If something is written in first person I have to REALLY like the narrator to enjoy it!

Originally posted by malayz_angel
I started reading 'Wuthering Heights' ages ago and still haven't gone past the first few pages, does anyone know whether it turns out better than 'GE'?
Wuthering Heights is a thousand times better than Great Expectations. I know it takes a while to get into, but once I did, I absolutely adored it! Heathcliff is the love of my life...

Kos

I dont mind Charles Dickens. Im probably the only person here who likes Tale of Two Cities because I didnt do Extension and didnt HAVE to read it. I swear studying books in school makes you hate them.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Nah, i read Tale of two cities in year 9, when my teacher gave me the option to review either Tale of two cities or Catch-22. I chose catch 22 for the half yearly, but had to choose Tale of Two cities for the yearly. Its an awesome book, but you gotta admit, there are bits where you just go :-\

Catch-22 is hilarious though. Absolutely bloody hilarious.

I enjoyed Great expectations. :) read it first in year 5 (abridged version), again in year 7 (can't remember if it was abridged or not) and once again in yera 9 (unabridged). Movie is decent too.

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
I read both Wuthering Heights and Great Expectations this year and loved both.
I don't know why you all didn't like Great Expectations! I didn't find it linguistically challenging or anything (that's not why i liked it) I just thought it was a light-hearted interesting book.
Oh well..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)