• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Graphing question (1 Viewer)

lum

HSC
if asked for a simple sketch, we only need to find intercepts and asymtotes right? and the general shape of the curve. do we need to find co-ords of T.P, PoI and the gradient at potential cusps?

also, do we need to draw circles with compasses, or would free hand ones with centres/intercepts/equation be fine? (my school is fussy, but i've heard u dun lose marks)

now for locus circle questions, do we need to mark intercepts, or is centre + radius enough?

for locus questions(that is the ones wif z), should i label them Re/Im or x/y is fine? at my tutoring place i labelled it x/y, didn't lose any marks but is there one that's preferred?

i hate losing marks due to the stupid technique, and i hate wasting time by doing too detialed answers :(, sigh...

ishq

brown?
HSC
Use the damn compass :)

Its more exact too - which is a good thing incase your diagram effects your interpretation of the question - as in the CSSA 2005 trials... when they asked for the area ....the circle only touched the axis..or something...

justchillin

HSC
They will specify what they want...usually complex inequalities, centre and excluded points are enough. For a graph, just important features like asymptotes etc. remember though, the topic is about avoding calculus so if they havent given u a tp just estimate where it'll be (but make sure its the right sign). y/x or re/im are fine... ring the hsc advice line if ur realli stressed...

lum

HSC
thx, not stressed at all, just dun want to lose easy marks :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
lum said:
if asked for a simple sketch, we only need to find intercepts and asymtotes right? and the general shape of the curve. do we need to find co-ords of T.P, PoI and the gradient at potential cusps?

also, do we need to draw circles with compasses, or would free hand ones with centres/intercepts/equation be fine? (my school is fussy, but i've heard u dun lose marks)

now for locus circle questions, do we need to mark intercepts, or is centre + radius enough?

for locus questions(that is the ones wif z), should i label them Re/Im or x/y is fine? at my tutoring place i labelled it x/y, didn't lose any marks but is there one that's preferred?
For a simple sketch, include what you said plus PoI(s) but don't worry about gradient at potential cusps.
Use compass for all circles you draw.
It is not enough, even if you were to sketch any circle, so label the intercepts.
I would use Re/Im to be safe because it shows that it's a argand diagram.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)