graphics card!! (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
well im a computer gaming freak (mostly online games)......also i love movies, ive got this graphics card..i was wondering if its good or if i should buy a new one..i dont know much about graphics card..its something like:NVIDIA GeForce FX5700RADEON 9550so what you think, also my dads friend made 2 drives on my hard-drive, drive c and drive e, im gana format my computer next week, how do you make 2 drives like that...do i format the computer using the windows xp cd and then i make a partition from the computer mangement folder...????

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. Depends on whether it's performing well for you.
2. Format both partitions in the installer.

phatic

HSC
lol, both those cards are very old. If you like gaming, I'd definately say get a new one. As for what to buy, it depends on your budget. A 7600GS (I'm guessing you're on AGP) can be had for $170, which is most likely the best mid-range card.

ohdato

HSC
Not worth paying $170 for an AGP card. If you want the computer for gaming/media then you'll prob need a new Motherboard, Ram, CPU and
then your Graphics card. Keeping your old HDs, Keyboard/Mouse and Monitor.

You can create partitions when setting up Win XP as you said or create it once your finished reformating.

Nvidia 7600GT....ftw

Collin

HSC
N/A
If you're adamant you want to stay on AGP, then a 7800GS is pretty much the end of the road - although that's not a good deal. A 7600GS would give you better bang/buck.. but AGP is dead anyway.

If you want anything better, you'll have to get a PCI-Express video card. However that would entail also purchasing a PCI-x16 motherboard, chances are a new CPU and DDR2 RAM and even a new PSU. In other words, a new computer.

For watching movies, you won't need a great video card. For gaming - it depends on which games you play, the settings at which you intend to play them at and the performance you want out on those particular settings. The NVIDIA FX and ATi Radeon 9500 series cards you mentioned are quite outdated nowadays.. they will struggle with practically all popular titles out right now.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
how is it even possible to be an online game freak and have (one?) of those cards?

what can you play besides cs 1.5 and a few anime styled mmorpgs

KennyChew

HSC
Collin said:
If you're adamant you want to stay on AGP, then a 7800GS is pretty much the end of the road - although that's not a good deal. A 7600GS would give you better bang/buck.. but AGP is dead anyway.

I beleive the x1950 pro for AGP is being released. This card can draw some serious horsepower (around x1900xt). Only problem is if his system CPU and RAM bottleneck it. Also lets not forget that powersupply unit

linkage

http://www.ntcompatible.com/Great_N...P_s74327.h tml

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/...1023104107.html

edit: Also if your a folder, this card will do well. oh yeah I wasn't disagreeing about the AGP being dead thing, just with the 7800gs being the best.. i think no more cards will be released for AGP as PCI express is established and with PCI express 2.0 on the hoizon.

Last edited:

phatic

HSC
DeathB4Life said:
how is it even possible to be an online game freak and have (one?) of those cards?

Yes I was wondering the same thing... o.0

Sefi

HSC
ohdato said:
Not worth paying $170 for an AGP card. If you want the computer for gaming/media then you'll prob need a new Motherboard, Ram, CPU and
then your Graphics card. Keeping your old HDs, Keyboard/Mouse and Monitor.
Nvidia 7600GT....ftw
I disagree, 7800GS if you can afford it, my a6600TD runs well when it's overclocked:rofl:

cl3nta

HSC
DeathB4Life said:

cs 1.6? css? :L

ohdato

HSC
Sefi said:
I disagree, 7800GS if you can afford it, my a6600TD runs well when it's overclocked:rofl:
lol thats OC'd, but its more about the ability to upgrade even further on with a M/B that can only take an AGP is useless soon enough.

Atleast with a new M/B he can upgrade in the future to a DX10 card, 30" LCD....I mean thats what I'd do.

Sefi

HSC
Yeah, but new m/b means new processor means an extra few hunded $$$.
put it this way:
buy a $400 or so AGP card now
wait for the current stuff to get cheaper and better (i.e. CPU steppings)
buy the new PC

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sefi said:
Yeah, but new m/b means new processor means an extra few hunded $$$.
put it this way:
buy a $400 or so AGP card now
wait for the current stuff to get cheaper and better (i.e. CPU steppings)
buy the new PC
And then find yourself 2-3 years from having to upgrade when a new standard comes in again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)