graphic adventure / 'puzzle' games (1 Viewer)

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
back in the day, i used to love playing 'graphic adventure'-style pc games, like grim fandango, curse of monkey island, myst & riven, plus some very very old ones i can't quite remember any more. (oh, i really liked 'croc' too, but that's more of a platform game i guess.) i've seen them mentioned in a couple of posts around here but couldn't find any actual threads.

whatever happened to these kinds of games? where you have to try and solve really obscure puzzles in really bizarre ways? they were great. do any exist these days or have they all been overtaken by shooter games and stuff like grand theft auto?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I used to be a huge fan of adventure games too. :)

There's a bit of an underground community that has grown up around them, but not many new games are being produced - today's gamers don't really seem to like spending the time to solve and explore adventure games, or can't resist looking for the solution online.

The 'instant gratification' aspect of the shoot'em'up games has prevailed for years... though I wouldn't be surprised if there is eventually a shift back to mental challenges and decent plots.

Check out AGDInteractive Studio for a group who has remade some of the old King's Quest and Quest for Glory games.

dinopoke

HSC
Have you played these? Search Results - GOG.com

Adventure games these days can be usually found in the indie PC scene (White Chamber, Still Life) as well as on the Wii (Zack and Wiki )and DS (Pheonix Wright). The genre is not as prominent anymore (nor I think it ever will be) but it is still very much alive.

Also! Sam & Max: Season 1. Check out what Telltale Games are making.

cxlxoxk

HSC
Try tower of the sorcerer (google it). Don't spoil the fun with a guide though, it's harder without a guide!

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Have you played these? Search Results - GOG.com

Adventure games these days can be usually found in the indie PC scene (White Chamber, Still Life) as well as on the Wii (Zack and Wiki )and DS (Pheonix Wright). The genre is not as prominent anymore (nor I think it ever will be) but it is still very much alive.

Also! Sam & Max: Season 1. Check out what Telltale Games are making.
thanks for the link, that first one could be interesting...

weird, I was only looking up what LucasArts was up to these days just before I made this thread, and i discovered telltale games :)

cxlxoxk said:
Don't spoil the fun with a guide though, it's harder without a guide!
of course it's harder without a guide! that's the whole point!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
banjo kazooie.

there needs to be a ds release like banjo kazooie, man that was an awesome game.
not really puzzle, but adventure yes.

and prince of persia sands of time trilogy got puzzles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)