Graduate VS Undergraduate Law (1 Viewer)

ashjw84

Is there any difference between doing an undergraduate law degree compared to a graduate law degree (i mean not masters or phd, just graduate law) ? do employers look at it any different ?

thanks.......

santaslayer

HSC
Not that I'm aware of. Just a different path in gaining the particular degree. Still as acceptable as an undergraduate degree IMO. :)

addz

HSC
graduate = 3 years of intense law study..compared with a spread over 5 years of study, which progressively gets more intense (e.g final 2 years are all law subjects)

as for view...should be the same...no reason why there would any preference...except for maybe age, and even then there isnt much of a difference

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
my crim class is mostly postgrads though..(i think)...many many mums and dads :)

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
santaslayer said:
We have a grandaddy at the age of 68...like...omfg...:p
must be one of those life time bachelors..
my friend at uws law..there's an old 60-70ish man there with about 10 different degrees ranging from B.psychology to B.commerce lol~

imagine after you become a lawyer...some 68 yr old comes and applies to be a trainee solictor under you LOL

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
All those mature age students are soooo diligent, they do ALL the readings (not just the compulsory ones), they buy or borrow all those thick obscure law books and show up to class every time with a tape recorder.

Maybe we should take the hint from them that the benefits of working hard are greater than we think...

nah, I enjoy my bludging :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess we just aren't as mature as we think, compared with them

1000words

HSC
ashjw84 said:
Is there any difference between doing an undergraduate law degree compared to a graduate law degree (i mean not masters or phd, just graduate law) ? do employers look at it any different ?

thanks.......
Some have posted that students in graduate law are stuck in a different class. I'm not sure why because you would still need to complete a similar number of subjects as you would in an undergraduate combined law degree (from my vague understanding).

To qualify as a lawyer (if that is a person's wish), you need to complete around eleven core subjects (the Priestley eleven, not to be mistaken with Oceans Eleven!) so you will need to satisfy this requirement regardless of whether it is a graduate or undergraduate law degree.

As for whether employers will look at it different, I think that will be difficult to say. They might see it in the context of your undergraduate degree in the same light as one would with a combined degree. They may ask, however, 'why you decided to pursue law after you finished a degree in <other discipline>. It's not negative at all, just a different way of asking a similar question with a combined degree. As a result, I don't imagine why employers would view it differently.

addz

HSC
something else that might play a factor..
is if you are pursuing your first degree (e.g. commerce), after completing a graduate law degree.

doing grad law will mean everything you learnt in the first degree may be slightly outdated (unless you have a part time job or something). this may play a factor in employment...but if some additional training is provided, it may not even be relevant

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
addz said:
something else that might play a factor..
is if you are pursuing your first degree (e.g. commerce), after completing a graduate law degree.

doing grad law will mean everything you learnt in the first degree may be slightly outdated (unless you have a part time job or something). this may play a factor in employment...but if some additional training is provided, it may not even be relevant
It sucks to be graduating from an Accounting degree now, since all the AASB have changed to international standards from next year onwards. So that's probably a real example to your scenario

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
..there is this lady in my crim who has the most annoying laugh in living history... :\ its some kind of lower north shore cuckle/ grand laugh

she always laughs at the wrong moment tooo....at least she doesnt have the post graduate hot air complex

for example...in torts rest assured there will be a post grad asking the teacher whether something is too remote

'what if the person steels the car and then parks it and then someone else steels the car and then hits a pedestrian...is it too remote?'

'What if a dragon came in and set the house on fire...would that be reasonably forseeable?'
bahahahahhaghha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)