Graduate Medicine at Usyd (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
How great is the competition? It is harder relatively harder than undergrad at Usyd.

I was thinking since they accept only graduates at Usyd, doesn't that mean their intake is large meaning it would be somewhat similar to undergrad at UNSW.

...just exploring my options

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
This is not the place to be asking about the competition for entry to a graduate course, since nobody here (with the exeption of the Teachers) has an authoritive opinion. It would be much better to contact the universities and ask to speak to their student representatives (I remember USyd storngly encouraging this approach as well).

Collin

HSC
N/A
There was a recent thread in the USYD forum which claimed that commencing in 2005, you won't need to sit for a GAMSAT anymore. Simply attain a distinction average for your BSc or BMedSci undergrad, and you're in, although there is a interview you must pass.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
yeah, and like a distinction average is so easy :rolleyes: it was moreover you need at least 80 in all of your subjects and this need to be maintained for the whole course of your degree
Read my post again. 'Distinction average'. Not a distinction in every single subject for your whole undergrad.

Also, I did not imply that getting such a distinction average is easy. GAMSATS are a bane for alot of people, because even with such reasonable aptitude which allows them to marvel through a distinction average, they are still stuffed when it comes to the GAMSAT.

Hence, in general obviously this new implementation is mostly welcomed by students who are eager to get into Graduate medicine/surgery.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's not a rumour, I found it on the USyd course search (but it's subject to AMC approval). Go find details yourself.

Just so you know, the easiest way to get a Distinction average (GPA - 6.0) is to ge a D in every single subject. One credit and it's gone, unless you can produce an HD to offset that credit.

This is basically an imitation of UQ's preferential entry scheme, where candidates apply for a place in Medicine as school leavers but complete a bachelor's degree first at UQ. Then, if they have a good enough overall GPA (4.5 or above I believe, mid pass average) then they are guaranteed a spot in the graduate program.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
"Students must also maintain a Yearly Average Mark (YAM) of 80 or higher in the other units of study in order to remain in the combined program."

What sort of difficultly level is that?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
"Quota: up to 10"
And they said they'll interview between 1.5 and 2 times the quota.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Estel said:
"Quota: up to 10"
And they said they'll interview between 1.5 and 2 times the quota.
0_o
shoot..
why is it so small?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I imagine so as to avoid reducing their graduate program. :(

I don't like the fact that even if you get in you need to stay in the TSP for the whole 3 years and maintain a mark of 80...
bah medicine and its evilness....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Estel said:
"Students must also maintain a Yearly Average Mark (YAM) of 80 or higher in the other units of study in order to remain in the combined program."

What sort of difficultly level is that?
That is formidable, it's a mid-distinction average. Expect GPAs of around 6.50 (which is what USyd expects anyway).

The tiny quota would be to ensure that the primary entry stream is the GAMSAT (ie external graduate applications) and not people trying to get in through what may be seen as a "back door" degree. Of course, BMedSc has a reputation for being Bachelor of GAMSAT anyway...

Basically USyd realises that many people take their BMedSc because they want USyd GradMed, and are willing to help these people along the way. Just...not ALL of them. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)