Grades/Unit of Study/ Distinction Average (1 Viewer)

kazss11

HSC
N/A
Okay,
How do they work out a distinction average over your degree and how do 'failed subjects' come into that.
What I have got off the website is the follow, but is it correct formula for an Economics degree.

Unit of study percentage (e.g.100%) multiplied against the subjects credit points (6)

Which equals 600. Then assuming you got 600 for each subject and overall of 2400 points would be awarded.
Then after all these points are added up you divide it by the number of units.
So a typical degree would be 144 credit points and if you fail, then they are just added ontop, so 1 fail would mean you overall score is divided by 150.

Am I correct?
With fails can you still obtain a distinction average?
Also is it possible to get 100% - 95% in a Unit of Study?

Thanks people.

spence

HSC
Okay,
How do they work out a distinction average over your degree and how do 'failed subjects' come into that.
What I have got off the website is the follow, but is it correct formula for an Economics degree.

Unit of study percentage (e.g.100%) multiplied against the subjects credit points (6)

Which equals 600. Then assuming you got 600 for each subject and overall of 2400 points would be awarded.
Then after all these points are added up you divide it by the number of units.
So a typical degree would be 144 credit points and if you fail, then they are just added ontop, so 1 fail would mean you overall score is divided by 150.
Yep that's all right if you're working out your WAM. If you're working out GPA then its done differently, where a fail = 0, a pass = 4, a credit = 5, a distinction = 6 and a high distinction = 7. Then all the points are multiplied by the number of credit points for the subject, then divided by the total number of credit points

With fails can you still obtain a distinction average?
Also is it possible to get 100% - 95% in a Unit of Study?

Thanks people.
You should still be able to get a distinction average if you don't get many fails, and your other results obviously have to be better to make up for the fails
Marks that high are not at all common, although I'm sure some people occasionally do that well

04er

HSC
You can just calculate your average the normal way if all your subjects are worth 6 credit points (i.e. (X1 + X2 + X3)/3). Where you have different credit points it's easier to just treat marks as a proportion of 6 credit points as follows.

Say you have the following results

Subject A: 75 (6 credit points)
Subject B: 80 (6 credit points)
Subject C: 70 (6 credit points)
Subject D: 75 (3 credit points)
Subject E: 70 (0 credit points)

The average is a weighted average so 3 credit point subjects are worth half as much as 6 credit point subjects (obviously) while 0 credit point subjects are worth nothing when calculating your average.

i.e.

Average = (75+80+70+0.5*(75)+0*(70)) / (1+1+1+0.5+0)
= 75 (Distinction)

Marks in the range of 95-100 are very rare.

amber44

HSC
Are first year subjects treated differently to second and third year when working out your various averages?

spence

HSC
Are first year subjects treated differently to second and third year when working out your various averages?
I think different faculties calculate averages differently. I know arts doesn't include first year subjects in WAM

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
Does anyone have any idea what the case is in commerce? Do first year subjects count the same as say, third year subjects in calculating the WAM or GPA?

Doomah

HSC
You should still be able to get a distinction average if you don't get many fails, and your other results obviously have to be better to make up for the fails
Marks that high are not at all common, although I'm sure some people occasionally do that well

LOL

even if you get 1 fail, forget about the DN average, you would need 6 HD's just to make up for that 1 fail!!!!

most people who have a DN average, there lowest grade is like a credit average, and when they get a credit they are usually dissapointed

ashllis92

HSC
LOL

even if you get 1 fail, forget about the DN average, you would need 6 HD's just to make up for that 1 fail!!!!

most people who have a DN average, there lowest grade is like a credit average, and when they get a credit they are usually dissapointed
If you fail a subject can you repeat it or do an additional subject instead so you didn't have a fail dropping your GPA or WAM?

Doomah

HSC
repeating a failed subject wont erase the fail...... the original fail still counts as a 0/7

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
he's right
and a fail is an indication of shitty results to come in a few years, imho

if you failed first year, i can assure you that second year doesn't get any harder. so unless it was a fluke or unless you miraculously change your study habits then you're doomed
DOOMED

amber44

HSC
So if you have a fail, it's considered a zero? That's alittle unfair isn't it?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
in your gpa, but not in your wam (from what i understand). and noone cares about the gpa anyway.

04er

HSC
Does anyone have any idea what the case is in commerce? Do first year subjects count the same as say, third year subjects in calculating the WAM or GPA?
Yes, they are ALL weighted equally. One exception I know of is engineering, but not commerce/economics/business.

spartan31234

HSC
if you fail a 3 credit subject its not going to be that bad

but i don't think 1 fail will make that big of a difference over you whole 3-4 year degree.

dumarab

HSC
Say you fail a subject, and you do it again and pass..

How does it work with WAM?...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
both are added to your wam.

amber: everyone seems to say "credit average". in the faculty of science i know they go by wam, so i assume it's the same everywhere? SP has done honours so surely he'd know how they calculated his mark (from wam or gpa).

if you apply for a transfer i know they use gpa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)