Grade point averages (1 Viewer)

kitkatkittyau

HSC
Question: How do grade point averages work? How do you figure it out? For an example you need a 5.5 grade point average at some universities to do honours.

hellomike

HSC
5.5 is calculated through a special table that equates the GPA into an equilavent UAI. Make sure before you post, you have a look around first, i.e. the Transfers thread in the Transfers forum.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
hellomike said:
5.5 is calculated through a special table that equates the GPA into an equilavent UAI. Make sure before you post, you have a look around first, i.e. the Transfers thread in the Transfers forum.
No, that's your equivalent UAI for a transfer, it has nothing to do with honours. GPA is calculated by multiplying the grade of each subject by the number of credit points in that subject, adding all subjects together in this fashion, then dividing by the total number of credit points.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with some of the advice he's been giving.

hellomike

HSC
My advice have been perfectly fine - his question was how do grade point averages work. I just mentioned how they are even in terms of UAI.

"For an example you need a 5.5 grade point average at some universities to do honours."

He/she didn't say that was her situation otherwise I wouldn't have answered.

"How does GPA work if I wanted to do Honours?" See the difference? The way I saw it was another general question how does/what is a GPA.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No, just no.

You get a GPA from your internal marks, they have NOTHING to do with your UAI. You don't need your UAI at all, unless you're planning to transfer? In which case you're more likely to be using WAM.

Last edited:

hellomike

HSC
Ok, well I admit I took it wrong - if he/she is deciding for a transfer that's what I meant in terms of needing the GPA.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Make sure before you post, you read the question first, its very dangerous to be giving people wrong advice.

pottsy44

HSC
high distinction = 7
distinction = 6
credit = 5
pass = 4
fail = 0

depending on the university, they may or may not have a conceded pass which is usually worth 3

so to determine your GPA, you add your grades up and divide it by the number of units you have done.

ie.
you get 4 credits, so its 5+5+5+5=20 then divide 20/4 which gives you a GPA of 5.

this would of been posted many times before, but i did it FYI.

kitkatkittyau

HSC
Thank you sooo much. And yes I know this has been answered before but after 10 minutes of looking for it I got lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)