• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Gpa (1 Viewer)

texta83

HSC
Hi all. I am finishing my course this year. Just wondering what ppls GPAs are like. I am hoping to receive the deans medal which requires a GPA in the top 2% of students. Got no idea if my GPA will cut it. My GPA at the moment is just above 6.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I know quite a few ppl who have finished uni with gpa >6.5. But they weren't from UWS.....

texta83

HSC
It sux cause they never really let you know how your doing percentile wise. I know I am in the top 10% in my course but that doesnt tell me anything at the college level. It sux too cause some courses would probably be easier to get higher GPA's in. Its not heaps important, deans medal would be nice, but I will settle with distinction average.

texta83

HSC
No. To get deans medal at uws you need to be in the top 2% of ur graduating college cohort. Getting a GPA of 7 in the first semester means SFA if you get lower marks in the later semesters. If you finish the course with a GPA of 7 then you would pretty much be ensured of a medal.

Angel45

HSC
When they work our ur GPA at the end do they go off ur gpa for each semester?it's just annoying that like say u got 65 for a subject, or 74, it means nothing, it's still a credit u know, in terms of grade point.

L

LaraB

you'd be needing at least a HD average one would think.... think of it this way - if there's 200 people doing a course and usually about 4 or so get HD's, that's 2% so multiply that by everycourse - you'd hafta be gettin HD's or pretty close to to even be close to top 2%...

Angel45 said:
When they work our ur GPA at the end do they go off ur gpa for each semester?it's just annoying that like say u got 65 for a subject, or 74, it means nothing, it's still a credit u know, in terms of grade point.
far as GPA goes -

High Distinction = 7
Distinction = 6
Credit = 5
Pass = 4
Conceded Pass = 3
Terminating Pass = 2
Fail = 0

they're the general ones as far as there's number in between but yeh u can get teh general idea of where you'd be... eg if you got say, 73% average, its much higher than the minimum for a Credit average so you'd probably get a GPA around 5.25ish...

EDIT - if you guys wanna know GPA's 'reaquired' for all this crap - do what everyone else does - look on the website or ask the uni....

Last edited by a moderator:

texta83

HSC
LaraB are you saying that on average 4 ppl doing every course finish their course with a GPA of 7? I do not know of anyone in my course that has a GPA of anywhere near 7. I know in each subject about 2% of people get HDs. But that doesnt mean the same people get HDs in each subject. HDs are very rare even for the top students. I don't uderstand what you are saying about GPAs. A credit counts for 5 towards a GPA regardless of whether you get 65 or 74.

On Angels subject, I have noticed when applying for certain graduate jobs that they are more interested in my weighted average mark (WAM) than my GPA. I think the WAM is a much fairer indication. Yeah nat, 5 is good and allows entrance into most honours courses.

Last edited:

Angel45

HSC
LaraB said:
far as GPA goes -

High Distinction = 7
Distinction = 6
Credit = 5
Pass = 4
Conceded Pass = 3
Terminating Pass = 2
Fail = 0

they're the general ones as far as there's number in between but yeh u can get teh general idea of where you'd be... eg if you got say, 73% average, its much higher than the minimum for a Credit average so you'd probably get a GPA around 5.25ish...

so they definitely do differentiate between a low credit and a high credit etc:)
texta83 said:
On Angels subject, I have noticed when applying for certain graduate jobs that they are more interested in my weighted average mark (WAM) than my GPA. I think the WAM is a much fairer indication. Yeah nat, 5 is good and allows entrance into most honours courses.
Thanks guys... I see... so if you do get 74% (1 of d) for a subject or 84% (1 of HD) for a subject etc... it will eventually be reflected.. thanks!

texta83

HSC
Angel45 said:
Thanks guys... I see... so if you do get 74% (1 of d) for a subject or 84% (1 of HD) for a subject etc... it will eventually be reflected.. thanks!
It wont be reflected in your GPA, only in your WAM. Thats why GPAs blow. Last semester I had three marks within 2 points of 85. And all I get to show for it is distinctions. BLOWS.

Angel45

HSC
texta83 said:
It wont be reflected in your GPA, only in your WAM. Thats why GPAs blow. Last semester I had three marks within 2 points of 85. And all I get to show for it is distinctions. BLOWS.
Sweet, thanks... I'll keep that in mind... and I just realised I spelt "of" instead of "off" ...my bad :p least u knew what i meant hehe

texta83

HSC
natstar said:
Im hoping it will go up this semester. Im on track to get a HD for one unit and im hoping a D for 2 other subjects
I have found the subjects in the later years of uni to be a lot harder to get good marks in. I am just happy I am finishing soon. 4 more exams and then partay time.

texta83

HSC
I thought 1st year was crap too because of that exact reason. I had subjects that seemed to be useless. I am definiately more interested in my subjects now, but that hasen't made them any easier for me :p. I think the reason I went so crap at high skool is cause i had to do boring subjects..... And because of parties, friends and females.

L

LaraB

texta83 said:
LaraB are you saying that on average 4 ppl doing every course finish their course with a GPA of 7? I do not know of anyone in my course that has a GPA of anywhere near 7. I know in each subject about 2% of people get HDs. But that doesnt mean the same people get HDs in each subject. HDs are very rare even for the top students. I don't uderstand what you are saying about GPAs. A credit counts for 5 towards a GPA regardless of whether you get 65 or 74.
No clearly i didn't say that on average 4 people doing each course finish with a GPA...
read my post - its blatantly obvious i didn't say that

my point was simply that generally, its the same group of people who get the high marks.. i know that in my course it is.. so logically, you hafta be at least close to a HD to get a chance at being top 2%

maybe you shoudl re read my post because i clearly wasn't saying that's what happens definitively - i was simply saying that you need to be up close to those kinda marks to be near the top 2%

BTw - you are totally wrong about the GPA....

before you say i'm wrong i'll show you my exam result of Pweb:

Credit Points achieved this year 40
Credit Points Granted as Academic Credit to date 0
Total Credit Points achieved for course including academic credit 40
Total Credit Points required for course completion 400
Course GPA 5.250

2005 Autumn Session Teaching Calendar
Unit Id Unit Description Mark Grade
200006 Introduction to Law 77 DISTINCTION
200008 Torts Law 67 CREDIT
200300 Managing People at Work 73 CREDIT
61441 Workplace Behaviour 73 CREDIT

i didn't just pull that comment outa my ass - i based it on my marks...

unless you can somehow explain why i have an average of 73.5 which is a credit average, but a higher than 5 GPA put simply - you're wrong. GPA differs...

if you want further evidence, have a look on the uws website for info about qualifying for honours - it clearly says you need a GPA of 6, or 5.8 or 5.6(or 5.5 can't remember which) - so obcviously GPA are not stuck on the prescribed levels....

or ask other people in this forum - i won't say names coz i dunno if they want ppl to know their results, but i know people who were really pissed off cos they got a GPA of 4.8 which mean its technicaaly a pass GPA.

another friend graduated from UWS last year and was equally pissed off cost he had a GPA of 6.8 so he was just off a HD...

texta83

HSC
Lara:
Dude I know how GPAs work. Mine has been calculated over more than one massive semester. Yes ur GPA is correct. (6+5+5+5)/4 = 5.25. But what I am saying is that if you got 65,65,65,84 your GPA will still be 5.25. If you get 74, 74, 74, 75 your GPA will be 5.25. I dont matter if u get so called high credits, low credits, mid credits or any other kind of credit. With GPA a credit is always worth 5 regardless of where your mark sits in the 65-74 range.

L

LaraB

texta83 said:
Lara:
Dude I know how GPAs work. Mine has been calculated over more than one massive semester.
thanx for being condescending - much appreciated :rolleyes:

if you know so much, why are you asking people on here? do what any sensible student does and email the uni and ask them.

as i said clearly in my post - i didn't just base this on my marks - i clearly stated one i referred to was someone who's already graduated and other students - or are you just rude and assuming that as 1st year student of course i mustn't be referring to other non-1st year students because we lowly 1st year students all belong together....

i didn't ask you if my GPA was correct - it was quite obviously a rhetorical question - i don't need your reassurance that my mark is correct because you don't have a clue whether it is or not since you're not on the uni's grade review board and i you have no idea about my marks throughout the year

i must've worded my post badly since you felt a need to lecture me...

what i meant was that the GPA's have intermediary marks not just 0,3,4,5,6,7... so if you have a credit average but you didn't just get say, 65,65,65,65 it will be reflected in your GPA... eg if you got 65. 65. 85.70

i didn't mean that they give you a higehr GPA if you get "high credit marks".. what i meant was a 'High credit average" - as in a few D's and a C or a HD and a few C's etc because obviously, you cannot get an average of 74 if you got low credit marks only.. you hafta get higher marks to get the higher average and as a result a higher GPA

as i said before though, if you know so much why ask on here?

why bother comparing GPA's with students not in your year of your course let alone the same course? it's a complete and utter waste of time. If you know all about the marking procedures etc as you claim, you would be aware that you have the right to request any information regarding your academic progress regardless of what the uni says including rankings if you require them for any geniuine purpose.. so once again as i said - why waste tyour time asking on a forum page with predominantly students who've comleted..hmm..what did you call it.. "one massive semester"...when you need to be asking the uni....

texta83

HSC
I just wanted to get a general idea of the GPAs of people on here to see where I stand. I wasnt aware that I would be able to ask for my rank in the college. I might try it. The judgement is made on the overall college cohort, not just school or course. As I am new to this forum I am not fully aware of the years each student was in. I was kinda hoping for some mid to final year students to let me know of their GPA.

you hafta get higher marks to get the higher average and as a result a higher GPA
All I am saying with the gpa is that if you get 65,65,65,65 your average mark is obviously 65 and your GPA will be 5. If you get 74,74,74,74 your average will be 74 but your GPA will still be 5. A higher average mark will not always result in a higher GPA.....Thats why they suck, but sometimes they are good, becuase a lower average mark won't always result in a lower GPA.

texta83

HSC
My GPA is 6.1. I hope I can get it higher at the end of this semester. But from the looks of things its going to either go down or not move. When u get above six its hard to keep.

Most WAMs you just add together all ur marks then divide by the number of subjects (i.e just a normal average). If you do units that are worth more or less than the standard credit points (I think our unis standard is 10) then you gotta do some multiplying.

L

LaraB

texta83 said:
I just wanted to get a general idea of the GPAs of people on here to see where I stand. I wasnt aware that I would be able to ask for my rank in the college. I might try it. The judgement is made on the overall college cohort, not just school or course. As I am new to this forum I am not fully aware of the years each student was in. I was kinda hoping for some mid to final year students to let me know of their GPA.

All I am saying with the gpa is that if you get 65,65,65,65 your average mark is obviously 65 and your GPA will be 5. If you get 74,74,74,74 your average will be 74 but your GPA will still be 5. A higher average mark will not always result in a higher GPA.....Thats why they suck, but sometimes they are good, becuase a lower average mark won't always result in a lower GPA.
yes i know that... look at the eg i gave ... as i said, i didn't mean high credit marks.. i meant higher marks in general meaning D's or HD's or whatever...

i didn't say a higher mark will always mean a higher GPA... by higher marks i meant above a C which as i said mustn't have been clear in my first post since you brought it up..

higher marks won't necessarily increase your GPA, yes, but Higher marks very often WILL make your GPA higher... if you get 76 76 76 76 its higher than 75 75 75 75 and your GPA is higher so i don't see what the confusion is when i already clarified what i meant

so i don't know why you're posting back coz i cleared up what i meant so obviously i'm not disagreeing with you but that does not make what i said wrong YOU DO need higher marks to get a higher GPA... i don't see how that has caused confusion

although i quite clearly said that in the prior post so i don't know why you feel a need to tell me again when i already established that that wasn't what i meant...

PS - most people look to see people's 'level' of uni by their signature or HSC year

Last edited by a moderator:

texta83

HSC
So all that bitchin we did was to just confirm that we both agree. Studying sux. I need slleeeeeeep!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)