gpa? (1 Viewer)

televators

HSC
this is probably been asked millions of times before, but...do we 1st years have a gpa?

like I mean we havent got our exam results back, right...so do I already have a gpa written down somewhere based on my assessments, or does our first 'recording' of the gpa exist after we get our 1st semester results back?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.deanofstudents.mq.edu.au/gpa.htm

Calculating Your Grade Point Average
What is Grade Point Average (GPA)?

The Grade Point Average (GPA) of a student is a calculation which reflects the overall grades of a student. It is based on undergraduate units completed at Macquarie University and does not take into account credit points granted for advanced standing or non-award study. Although there are two GPA calculations below which represent Macquarie University's changed grading system there is only one GPA for each student.

The GPA is used for academic advising in several areas such as:

* Unit prerequisites
* Admission to Bachelor degree Honours programs
* Transferring from one Macquarie degree program to another where there is an internal transfer policy
* Admission to restricted areas of study, such as Accounting, Economics and Psychology

Calculation of the Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) for grades obtained prior to 2001 is calculated as follows:

GPA = (4a + 3b + 2c + 1cq + 0f) divided by e where
a is the number of credit points gained at A grade
b is the number of credit points gained at B grade
c is the number of credit points gained at C grade
cq is the number of credit points gained at CQ grade,
e is the total number of credit points for which a student is effectively enrolled (excluding units with W or P)
f is the number of credit points gained with an F grade

The grade point average (GPA) for grades obtained from 2001 is calculated as follows:

GPA = (4w + 3x + 2y + 1z + 0f) divided by e where
w is the number of credit points gained at HD and D,
x is the number of credit points gained at CR,
y is the number of credit points gained at P,
z is the number of credit points gained at PC,
e is the total number of credit points for which a student is effectively enrolled (excluding units with W or any other grade not included in the above formula)
f is the number of credit points gained with an F grade.

The grade point average of an applicant who has been enrolled for the BA DipEd, BBA DipEd, BCom DipEd, BEc DipEd or BSc DipEd course will be calculated on the basis of the entire program and not just on the level of performance for the BA, BBA, BCom, BE or BSc degree.

It is important to note that the GPA is based on your entire academic record at Macquarie. That is the GPA includes all units in any degree program ever taken by you at Macquarie. Repeating units does not remove previous failed units from your transcript. It is not a semester based calculation.

Perhaps flyin' can make a sticky of all these

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
The thing I hate about 1st Year Uni is that there is not enough emphasis on GPA and what it actually is and what it does. It is not until now that I realise how important it is to study and get good grades in 100 level units.

Although I guess University is about responsibility and taking care of your life without being spoonfed. If you can't do things by yourself by now then your looking at trouble down the road.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It's only first sem, and employers are known to (relatively) discount first year grades, so long as you show consistent improvement.

(Too bad, my grades are the other way around.. =p Each semester, they go more downhill.)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
*shamelessly promotes sig*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Shutup Mr. 3.99 GPA
hey, ive never had a gpa of 3.99

(and i think ive just irrepairable damage to my 300-level gpa.. )

anyways, each year my gpa has gone down by 0.1, so in twenty years time im going to a have a fail-average transcript =p

maybe i should create my own (better =p) wam/gpa spreadsheets.. more marketable products.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hahaha, in 20 years time :p

Pfft! Swap you with my 2.45 :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
no thanks!

(ive figured out to stop my gpa from sliding any further: quit uni soon :D)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've figured out how to get mine higher, keep doing 1st year units :p

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
flyin' said:
maybe i should create my own (better =p) wam/gpa spreadsheets.. more marketable products.
you better not!

you know what i havent actually used any of those programs apart from the night i made them. hahaha :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
your programs are limiting.

potential modifications:
- allowance for more units
- allowance for first, second, third year gpas
- disclaimer, version numbers, nonsense faq
- better color scheme
- endorsements from high profile members (such as myself ;))

maybe i should just create one.. hehee

===
in answer to the original post: in short, you don't have a gpa until you get your results back. estimations don't count.

(i doubt s/he will read this, ah wells.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)