GPA required for UWS Medicine (1 Viewer)

hanienkaribi

HSC
On the UWS website (http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs) it states that:

(for non-current school leavers/GWS applicants)
1 semester full time GPA = 6.0
1 year full time GPA = 5.7

By the end of 2013, I will have completed 1 year full time study. However considering interviews are offered before Semester 2 results are released for USYD students, how exactly will this work? Does this mean I will be considered as having completed a semester or a year? Sorry I'm quite confused.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
At the time of applying you'd be considered as someone who has completed a semester

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Afaik they project it, so you would need 5.7 to score an interview.

And if you ATAR is already above the cutoff then it doesn't even matter, #yolo.

crazy_paki123

HSC
Hey, my sister wants to do Medicine at UWS or UNSW, obviosly UWS is more her choice since its closer to home but how can she get in if say she:
1. does medical science at USYD
2. does medical science at UWS
And if she wants to do post grad does she still need UMAT or does she sit GAMSAT?

Siddy123

HSC
Hey, my sister wants to do Medicine at UWS or UNSW, obviosly UWS is more her choice since its closer to home but how can she get in if say she:
1. does medical science at USYD
2. does medical science at UWS
And if she wants to do post grad does she still need UMAT or does she sit GAMSAT?
1. finish the degree with very good marks, smash the gamsat, apply for postgrad, interview.
2. do first year of med sci (adv)- finish top 6 in the cohort ( wont be too hard because it isn't as competitive as UNSW or USYD med sci where pretty much all students hope to get into MED), re-sit UMAT, Interview.

Quickest/best option( considering your location) if she doesn't get in this year is to do med sci uws.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
1. finish the degree with very good marks, smash the gamsat, apply for postgrad, interview.
2. do first year of med sci (adv)- finish top 6 in the cohort ( wont be too hard because it isn't as competitive as UNSW or USYD med sci where pretty much all students hope to get into MED), re-sit UMAT, Interview.

Quickest/best option( considering your location) if she doesn't get in this year is to do med sci uws.
Nup.

1. Transfer after a year (or however many years) either with an ATAR over 93.5 or a GPA of 5.7 or more, both aren't needed so if she already has 93.5 then no need to stress, sit UMAT and do well, sections 1 and 2 are weighted better so do well in those, get at least 151 weighted) OR finish MedSc with a GPA better than 5.5 and sit GAMSAT (before she finishes, probs in 2nd and 3rd year) and then apply to all the graduate unis, or sit UMAT (and do well) and have a good GPA and apply for undergrad unis.

2. Do MedSc(Adv), get a GPA above 5.5 (will probs get higher easily), do UMAT and do well, if she doesn't make the regular cut if her percentile is in the top 6 of the leftover UWS MedSc(adv)/Sc(Adv) applicants to med then she'll get an interview, so she can do slightly less well.
This is the better option for people that aren't as good at UMAT as the course is easy and time can be spent on UMAT and the cutoff is slightly lower for these entrants, plus, if her ATAR is 90-93 but not 93.5 or over this is the better option to get her the marks to get into the course if her UMAT was good enough the first time.

Out of those two options UWS is better because there is less competition for higher marks giving her a better chance for both graduate and undergraduate medicine.

Siddy123

HSC
Nup.

1. Transfer after a year (or however many years) either with an ATAR over 93.5 or a GPA of 5.7 or more, both aren't needed so if she already has 93.5 then no need to stress, sit UMAT and do well, sections 1 and 2 are weighted better so do well in those, get at least 151 weighted) OR finish MedSc with a GPA better than 5.5 and sit GAMSAT (before she finishes, probs in 2nd and 3rd year) and then apply to all the graduate unis, or sit UMAT (and do well) and have a good GPA and apply for undergrad unis.

2. Do MedSc(Adv), get a GPA above 5.5 (will probs get higher easily), do UMAT and do well, if she doesn't make the regular cut if her percentile is in the top 6 of the leftover UWS MedSc(adv)/Sc(Adv) applicants to med then she'll get an interview, so she can do slightly less well.
This is the better option for people that aren't as good at UMAT as the course is easy and time can be spent on UMAT and the cutoff is slightly lower for these entrants, plus, if her ATAR is 90-93 but not 93.5 or over this is the better option to get her the marks to get into the course if her UMAT was good enough the first time.

Out of those two options UWS is better because there is less competition for higher marks giving her a better chance for both graduate and undergraduate medicine.
oh i always thought for usyd you had to finish the degree and do gamsat
cheers for the info!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
cheers for the info!
I think he may be talking about Usyd Med Sci -> UWS MBBS?

(Which would make sense given the thread title, oops)

crazy_paki123

HSC
thanks riproot. Did u do the 2nd option? just out of interest

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
cheers for the info!
You do the GAMSAT in your penultimate (2nd last) or final year of whatever degree you do because GAMSAT can be used for entry for 2 years.
But you can only apply to graduate med unis in your last year of uni.

I think he may be talking about Usyd Med Sci -> UWS MBBS?

(Which would make sense given the thread title, oops)
UWS MBBS is an undergraduate programme so you NEED to sit UMAT to be considered, they do not consider GAMSAT.

thanks riproot. Did u do the 2nd option? just out of interest
I did one similar to the first actually.
I wasn't incredibly confident on my chances with UMAT so I did BMedSc/BEngineering at USyd so I would have engineering as a back-up career, because I was semi-interested in it, but I hated engineering and did better in UMAT for like no reason so I got into UWS MBBS (which was where I wanted to go most anyways) so everything worked out well.
BUT if it was between BSc(Adv) at USyd and B AdvSc at UWS I probs would've gone to UWS for the easiness and stuff, although I did enjoy the year at USyd a lot and I met a lot of cool people I never would've met otherwise (and I got into med in the end (over people I know who did BMedSc(Adv) at UWS)) so I don't regret my decision at all.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Great thread!! Just looked at the admission requirements on the UWS website and saw the following:

Greater Western Sydney applicants (tick)
Completed degree GPA = 5.1 (~5.3 tick)

Does this actually mean I can apply if I do UMAT?
m9; what kind of a username is that?

account made today -> inb4davidsonSole

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)