gpa question~ (1 Viewer)

Ava

HSC
I have a question about gpa..

Last semester I got 3 passes and 1 credit.

If, this semester I get one fail...and the other 3 are all passes what will that do to my gpa? I really want to get 2.0 but will failing one subject mean I can't even get 2.0?

How do I work out my gpa?

Thanks so much!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Ava said:

If, this semester I get one fail...and the other 3 are all passes what will that do to my gpa? I really want to get 2.0 but will failing one subject mean I can't even get 2.0?

Thanks so much!
unless you get a few more credits it will be less than 2.

assuming everything i worth 3credit points: (2+2+2+3+0+2+2+2)/8 = less than 2gpa. if you get one more credit than you expect you will have a gpa of 2. but remember you need to pass all core subjects .

X

xeuyrawp

Ava said:

Thanks so much!
Two issues with getting fails. If you're failing, something's wrong. If you do your work, listen in both tutes and lectures, you really shouldn't fail. I would consider getting tutoring or bridging courses.

Secondly, you need to note that failing owns your GPA. I don't know how to articulate it, because I'm not great with math, but putting a zero in your gpa equation does a lot more damage than if you even got a PC.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Rob is absolutely right.

The best thing to do, instead of speculating about what you might get, is to do something about it; in this case, study.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Two issues with getting fails. If you're failing, something's wrong. If you do your work, listen in both tutes and lectures, you really shouldn't fail. I would consider getting tutoring or bridging courses.

Secondly, you need to note that failing owns your GPA. I don't know how to articulate it, because I'm not great with math, but putting a zero in your gpa equation does a lot more damage than if you even got a PC.

A fail isn't that bad... i failed acst101 and i got a withdrawn fail for psy222, my GPA is still above 2 (its mid 2's i think), just make sure you get a couple of d's to make up for the fails and you should be right

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
oooh sorry i didn't read the question properly.. im guessing you want a GPA of 2.0 coz u want to transfer...

in that case.. a big fat fail will definately hinder your chances of not getting a GPA of 2.0 ...

just study... what subjects are you doing? ..... some subjects are easier to get a D, C in than others... tell us what they are and we could tell you which ones you should try abit harder at (coz its easy to get a d or c in)

Ava

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
unless you get a few more credits it will be less than 2.

assuming everything i worth 3credit points: (2+2+2+3+0+2+2+2)/8 = less than 2gpa. if you get one more credit than you expect you will have a gpa of 2. but remember you need to pass all core subjects .
So basically I can't fail anything. Great...

PwarYuex/clairegirl: I'm doing 2 philosophies, culture and french....french is the problem....I don't think I'll have any trouble getting pass or whatever with my other subjects but french is really really hard...

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Ava said:

PwarYuex/clairegirl: I'm doing 2 philosophies, culture and french....french is the problem....I don't think I'll have any trouble getting pass or whatever with my other subjects but french is really really hard...
ohh okay i see your point.. if i had to do french or anything remotely like a different language... i'de fail miserably trying my hardest. Some subjects are downright hard ...

you could do what i did.. i KNEW without a doubt in my mind that i'de fail acst101... so i focused on getting D's and C's in my other subjects to make up for it (GPA) wise

Not so sure if that's a smart thing... other people would say it wasn't... but to me at the time i believed i had the choice of ..... trying and prolly not passing acst101 but then it woulda been to the detriment n reduction of speding precious study time on my other subjects... so i stopped studying for acst101 entirely and just focused on my other subjects...

im such a bad role model so don't listen to me *waits for flyin and all the others to intervene*

Ava

HSC
^ lol. Yeah french in first semester was ok, I enjoy it but now I kind of regret choosing it for 2nd semester.

Do I have to pass all my subs if I want to transfer though? Or does that not matter at all as long as I get the required minimun gpa?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
as far as i know thats all you need.. the required GPA

but then again i think you need to look at criteria thingy mah bob for transferring degrees.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
search the mq website

it gives u the criteria needed to transfer degrees

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
what happens if you withdraw from a uni. does that count as 0?
yuh it does unfortunately

i knew this though .. and i dont regret it

X

xeuyrawp

Ava said:

Well that's the thing, you're not doing well enough to handle a fail... You need to get better marks. May I suggest that, next semester, you take one unit less so you can maybe get better marks? People like to move through their degrees quickly, but I'm doing 3 subs this sem, and the difference is very noticable.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Ava said:

If you don't study French or try (a lot) given what you've told us so far, then you will almost definitely fail French. In which case, you'll need at least a Pass, Pass and Credit in your other three subjects to get the minimum GPA of 2 you need.

Next week is week 10. The leaves you at least 3 weeks to cram/study/learn enough to pass. If you really want to. I mean think about it this way: its at most 4 or 5 weeks of study.

Everyone finds something hard along the way, and just giving up is not going to get you anywhere. So do the only reasonable thing you can do: go study! And if you find you don't understand something, ask your tutor and/or your lecturer and don't stop bugging them until you understand/learn what you need to.

Also, many people starting cramming/learning a week before exams, so you already have a head-start on them.

Alternately you can give up on French and try to get more than P,P,Cr for your other three subjects. (I assume: French is not a core unit.) But I wouldn't recommend this because it looks bad, ie. a fail. Plus, you don't get the surprise of passing French or even getting a Credit or better.

X

xeuyrawp

flyin' said:
If you don't study French or try (a lot) given what you've told us so far, then you will almost definitely fail French. In which case, you'll need at least a Pass, Pass and Credit in your other three subjects to get the minimum GPA of 2 you need.

Next week is week 10. The leaves you at least 3 weeks to cram/study/learn enough to pass. If you really want to. I mean think about it this way: its at most 4 or 5 weeks of study.

Everyone finds something hard along the way, and just giving up is not going to get you anywhere. So do the only reasonable thing you can do: go study! And if you find you don't understand something, ask your tutor and/or your lecturer and don't stop bugging them until you understand/learn what you need to.

Also, many people starting cramming/learning a week before exams, so you already have a head-start on them.

Alternately you can give up on French and try to get more than P,P,Cr for your other three subjects. (I assume: French is not a core unit.) But I wouldn't recommend this because it looks bad, ie. a fail. Plus, you don't get the surprise of passing French or even getting a Credit or better.
Well said, mate. Personally, I would get a tutor.

Another option for everyone else reading this is the German/French for academic purposes. I'm doing the German one next year (the germans rock at history), and these subjects are Pass/Fail only and don't count towards your GPA. After doing a year of one of them, you can do the beginners German/French proper unit. You're not going to fail after you've done a year of it, and they don't seem to mind people doing the beginners course after doing the for Academic Purposes course.

Ava

HSC
Ok well I guess I have to try and pass french at least, and try to get some credits in my other courses just in case I fail.

Thanks everyone~ :)

X

xeuyrawp

Ava said:
Ok well I guess I have to try and pass french at least, and try to get some credits in my other courses just in case I fail.

Thanks everyone~ :)
Of course it's too late now, but did FRN295 not appeal to you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)