govt1105- geopolitics, critical reading assignment. (1 Viewer)

cimbom

HSC
I'm not sure how many people have chosen this subject for the semester- but it might be useful to discuss which topics we've chosen and what we think of the articles?

a. Nuclear Crisis in Iran.
b. China as a Great Power?
c. Europe versus America?

I'm doing Europe v America- very different perspectives from both Drozdiak and Danchev. It's interesting to see how Drozdiak has divided the 'transatlantic' relationship into three streams- economic, national security and general foreign policy- and how the balance must be maintained with Europe and the US in order for America to retain support for their international activities, from the next potential 'superpower' suffering an identity crisis- EU's borders potentially extending across Turkey for example. I particularly liked the "good cop/ bad cop" example- the collaboration of diplomatic measures and military force to resolve issues in Palestine/Israel etc. Danchev's article meanwhile refers to the historical context of Euro/US relations, and how their supposed common values are just part of the political "fog of rhetoric"... it's not such a bad assignment, and we only have 800 or so words to critically compare the two articles?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
random tip: make sure you explicitly go through the annoying qualitative and quantitive crap that he'll tell you about.

cimbom

HSC
sarah168- is that something to do with word count?

cimbom

HSC
Okay, so maybe similar to general hsc modern history (haha) evidence rules- i could somehow relate the concepts of quantitivity and qualitivity to each of the sources, considering the context, bias etc. of the articles?

seraphyte

HSC
What on earth are "Qualitative" and "Quantatative" types of evidence? I've never heard those terms used in a non-chemistry way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)