Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
yenta said:
I have a question: How much would
a) lowering; and
b) painting
my car cost? It's a 93 model corolla, I recently got some 17 inch wheels and so want to get it lowered and then possibly get it painted a nice metallic colour. Any rough estimates?
Lowering, depends... I remember we can order King Springs from work but I don't remember what the prices was for (they were $400), if it was for a kit or two wheels or what. Paint varies heaps - to get it done properly it can cost thousands, but to just paint the outside, it'll cost upwards of about $1500. Those are both ballpark figures, of course. Hey you got some pics of your car for us?? :p

HSC
Ok gurus..here's another one..

how do you hot-wire cars? :)

the other night, the starter motor of our car went down and we couldnt start it at all, so we had to tow it :(

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You can't hotwire a car that has a dead starter motor.

NOTE: The following information is for use ONLY if you have lost the keys to YOUR car. I take no responsibility for its use otherwise.

The key is basically a multistage switch, as you turn it through Acc, on, ignition it sequentially connects these pieces. To hotwire it you simply remove the plug from the back of the lock barrel and do this yourself, by connecting each stop with a piece of wire until you get to ignition which you only contact until you have started the car.

This however WILL NOT help if you have a dead starter. This basically works by mimicking the key which won't help a dead starter.

To start a car with a dead starter you would need to manually crank the engine, seeing as they no longer have a handle for this you will need to push the car. Basically speaking one person (light would help) sits in the car with the car in neutral and the ignition turned all the way on. Then whoever else you can get to help pushes the car - preferably down a hill. Then if lucky the car fires and starts and you're away - if not now the cars at the bottom of a hill and still not going anywhere.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
how does the venturi effect work?

in regards to carbies/inlets

kthnxbye:)

SlipStream

HSC
addymac said:
You can't hotwire a car that has a dead starter motor.

NOTE: The following information is for use ONLY if you have lost the keys to YOUR car. I take no responsibility for its use otherwise.

The key is basically a multistage switch, as you turn it through Acc, on, ignition it sequentially connects these pieces. To hotwire it you simply remove the plug from the back of the lock barrel and do this yourself, by connecting each stop with a piece of wire until you get to ignition which you only contact until you have started the car.
You can't really hotwire a car any younger than 1995, because all modern cars have immobilisers, so unless the key is in the ignition barrel when you have a crack then nothing is going to happen. I think you can also hotwire a car by creating a circuit directly to the starter solenoid or something... never tried and don't want to because I don't want to turn into a crispy piece of human.

It is very hard to crash start a car with a dead starter, because most of the time the starter wants to die at the dumbest places. Like a flat carpark. Or on the curb on a busy road. Also, most cars are auto - and you can't crash start an auto. Furthermore, it's not advised to crash start EFI cars unless you really need to. The internal components in starters are very delicate, but sometimes if the starter itself (i.e. a dirty or faulty bendix drive, which is a little gear that engages the starter onto the flywheel and disengages when the car starts - if faulty or dirty, it won't engage the teeth on flywheel) is playing up, and not the solenoid, if you're desperate you can hit it with a rock and that could work - but you're risking hurting it even more (if it isn't working to begin with, then you don't have a lot to loose really). You know when the starter is playing up cos you can hear it spinning when you try and start the car - sounds like a blender without food in it. You can also just keep trying to turn it over until the bendix drives goes into action and engages the flywheel, or you can even put it in gear and rock it back and forward while trying to turn the engine over. Overall it's a pain in the arse. The Charade has a dirty bendix drive cos the rubber tab on the flywheel housing that covers the timing window has buggered off, letting dirt and all sorts of crap get in there and onto the gears of the starter. :(

addymac said:
Basically speaking one person (light would help) sits in the car with the car in neutral and the ignition turned all the way on. Then whoever else you can get to help pushes the car - preferably down a hill. Then if lucky the car fires and starts and you're away - if not now the cars at the bottom of a hill and still not going anywhere.
Well with that method you'd end up at the bottom of the hill no matter what! :p Crash starting, jump starting, push starting - whatever you wanna call it - involves putting the car in first with the clutch in, getting the car up to a bit of speed, then while trying to crank the engine you let the clutch out and using the car's momentum through the driveline to spin the engine and hopefully like you said, the engine will fire and subsequently start. The whole time we lived out in the bush, our tractor never had a battery and because we lived on a gentle slope we always crash started it (it was a diesel). My Subi bush basher had a problem with the alternator so the battery went flat often, so crash starting the bastard wasn't uncommon as well.

SlipStream

HSC
addymac said:
My mistake a typo I stand corrected.
That's kewl. Hey braad, look it up I'm sick of typing. :p

I gotta stop coming here when I have my HSC in, *checks watch*, three days...

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
That's kewl. Hey braad, look it up I'm sick of typing. :p

I gotta stop coming here when I have my HSC in, *checks watch*, three days...
:eek:

i thought people in here knew everything?!?!

dw..(i'm prety sure)i know what it is, i was just hoping someone would say something stupid *sits and waits* :)

datAsianGuy

over school
HSC
oi, i love cars and that... V8s esp... but what makes Dodge Vipers 'so good' and why are they so highly priced. Are they really that overrated??? please someone... my mate owns one and I keep telling him its gay and that my fully worked Commodore could beat it. (cos he reckons they pull 150K scnd hand, and if i worked a Commodore with 150K of hard mods, i could beat it). tell all

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
:eek:

i thought people in here knew everything?!?!

dw..(i'm prety sure)i know what it is, i was just hoping someone would say something stupid *sits and waits* :)
A venturi is a small goat that sits underneath the car seat, prepped to leap out and take control of the car should the driver be shot and loose control. You'll only find them on carby cars... why? Because I said so, that's why.

Happy? :p

Nah, the venturi effect works on air pressures, accerating air and vacuums, etc. When air passes through the venturi, a vacuum is created and this vacuum draws the fuel from the fuel jet. That's it, in a nutshell. Now someone will come along and tell you who invented it, every single little part on a carby, what venturis can be used for otherwise (I hear they make good cheese graters), all the different types of venturi, why the concept of venturis is neat...

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
datAsianGuy said:
oi, i love cars and that... V8s esp... but what makes Dodge Vipers 'so good' and why are they so highly priced. Are they really that overrated??? please someone... my mate owns one and I keep telling him its gay and that my fully worked Commodore could beat it. (cos he reckons they pull 150K scnd hand, and if i worked a Commodore with 150K of hard mods, i could beat it). tell all
dude, the dodge viper was made in the early 90's, it had a V10 based off a truck motor. It had ridiculous torque and power, cramped "interior", awesome growl, dangerous brakes (lol..americans). It was a brute of a machine, a true muscle car.

Now, if you had 150K to spend, please dont tell me you'd spend it on a commodore!! that would be an absolute waste!

btw, what'd you mean by
cos he reckons they pull 150K scnd hand, and if i worked a Commodore with 150K of hard mods, i could beat it

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
A venturi is a small goat that sits underneath the car seat, prepped to leap out and take control of the car should the driver be shot and loose control. You'll only find them on carby cars... why? Because I said so, that's why.

Happy? :p

Nah, the venturi effect works on air pressures, accerating air and vacuums, etc. When air passes through the venturi, a vacuum is created and this vacuum draws the fuel from the fuel jet. That's it, in a nutshell. Now someone will come along and tell you who invented it, every single little part on a carby, what venturis can be used for otherwise (I hear they make good cheese graters), all the different types of venturi, why the concept of venturis is neat...
*round of applause* slipstream isnt just a pretty face everyone! :eek:

lol, that was nicely put

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
umm id say 1st gear. coz.. i dunno, if its on a hill, and it starts or something, lol, how stupid, it will stall. if its in neutral, it can just roll away!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)