• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Google Web Accelerator (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
http://webaccelerator.google.com/

Basicly speeds up surfing by caching pages on fast google servers and your local hard drive.

How does Google Web Accelerator work?

Google Web Accelerator uses various strategies to make your web pages load faster, including:

* Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic.
* Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.
* Downloading only the updates if a web page has changed slightly since you last viewed it.
* Prefetching certain pages onto your computer in advance.
* Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays.
* Compressing data before sending it to your computer.

I think this is mainly for cable people, but it might speed up ADSL, I haven't tried for long time yet.

AND..... it is also for google to monitor what sites people like to visit. *sigh
but as I've said before, meh to privacy.

EDIT: some sites seem to be a fair bit quicker, but only a little bit. I've saved 9.2 seconds, yay....

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
3. Can I use Google Web Accelerator with a dial-up connection?

Dial-up users may not see much improvement, as Google Web Accelerator is currently optimized to speed up web page loading for broadband connections.

Crap. :p

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i read sometihng similar to this. but it was designed for dialup. using similar strategies to accelerate loading time.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
correct me if im wrong, but does google.com index thousands of search results in like 0.0xx seconds anyway ?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Theres no point using this, the servers are in the US.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
copious said:
Theres no point using this, the servers are in the US.
Go take a read of the slashdot comments on this. I recall geographical location being a minor point.

Santa: you're on dial-up. Dial-up already runs at a high efficiency, unlike broadband.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Go take a read of the slashdot comments on this. I recall geographical location being a minor point.

Santa: you're on dial-up. Dial-up already runs at a high efficiency, unlike broadband.
slashdot comments are unreadable... way too long

I've never frequented that site.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
How much faster does it make it, it couldnt be very noticable as google is fast anyways isnt it

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
From ausgamers.com:

"While this sounds pretty rad, good chance you could be downloading someone elses cached web pages, or moreso, someone could be downloading your cached pages. This has been evident with people on the Something Awful forums seeing private message in-boxes of other people and being able to view other informations."

HSC
lol @ meh to privacy.

Is it just me, or do people have a huge tendency to let google get away with as much as they can, when say, just for example, if someone like Microsoft did it they'd scream bloody murder? (Not you in particular jm1234567890, just in general) :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Think about it this way:

Google: Howard
Microsoft: Bush

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
What a bunch of retarts google are:

A new tool released by Google to speed up web surfing has been hit by privacy concerns. It emerged that users visiting sites where they can log in - including Neowin - are being logged in as other users of the service.

Google Web Accelerator is currently in beta and automatically stores and updates the content of pages accessed through it. However, ZDNet reports at least one user having problems as he suddenly discovered he was logged in as someone else - a problem replicated here.

"I went to the Futuremark forums and noticed that I'm logged in as someone I don't know," the user said on a Google discussion group. "I've used Google's Web Accelerator for a couple of hours, visited lots of sites where I'm logged in. Now I wonder how many people used my cache. I understand it's a beta, sure, but something like that is totally unacceptable."

No comment yet from the search engine giant on the issue. However, it did warn that information sent through cookies would be "temporarily cached" - it's not clear yet if that is where the problem lies.

So that's right, whoever has this installed and is logged into forums using cookies, other users could very well be logged in as you...

They must've been smoking pot when they coded this.

Google is getting dumber and stupid by the minute, just stick with their search engine, stop trying to branch out into everything when they haven't even got their other facets correct.

Source: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39197327,00.htm

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
jonathan109 said:
What a bunch of retarts google are:

A new tool released by Google to speed up web surfing has been hit by privacy concerns. It emerged that users visiting sites where they can log in - including Neowin - are being logged in as other users of the service.

Google Web Accelerator is currently in beta and automatically stores and updates the content of pages accessed through it. However, ZDNet reports at least one user having problems as he suddenly discovered he was logged in as someone else - a problem replicated here.

"I went to the Futuremark forums and noticed that I'm logged in as someone I don't know," the user said on a Google discussion group. "I've used Google's Web Accelerator for a couple of hours, visited lots of sites where I'm logged in. Now I wonder how many people used my cache. I understand it's a beta, sure, but something like that is totally unacceptable."

No comment yet from the search engine giant on the issue. However, it did warn that information sent through cookies would be "temporarily cached" - it's not clear yet if that is where the problem lies.

So that's right, whoever has this installed and is logged into forums using cookies, other users could very well be logged in as you...

They must've been smoking pot when they coded this.

Google is getting dumber and stupid by the minute, just stick with their search engine, stop trying to branch out into everything when they haven't even got their other facets correct.

Source: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39197327,00.htm
well... it is "beta"

these bugs will be ironed out if the project isn't scrapped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)