good impression/instant job handing in resume? (1 Viewer)

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
im applying for this a job at a clothing store right

are there some general rules and/or tips that you should know when handing in your resume to make them remember you and hopefully get you the job??

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Be confident, outgoing and dress like you would if you were representing the brand. Appearance is paramount.

Show that you have knowledge of the company (their history, culture, etc). You'll need to know about add-ons, upsaling, and feature/benefits of products too, they may ask you how to demonstrate your knowledge of these.

Make sure your resume is up to date, set out well, no mistakes etc.

If you do an instore trial, make sure you approach all customers, ask open ended questions (questions that don't end in a yes or no), if you have a sale suggest an add on item, watch people in the store (but don't overcrowd them) and if it's not busy, make sure things are tidy, clothes are in size order etc (you'll most likely be given jobs to do if there's no traffic, but do show initiative).

HSC
Kiim2507 said:
Ensure you give your resume to a manager because sometimes staff can be unreliable and may not pass it on
aww, that's not fair. at my work we pass them onto the manager and he throws them in the bin.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I do pass all resumes on, unless they've left a really bad impression. Even if they don't meet selection criteria (retail experience + drivers licence) I'll pass it on...and then my boss will throw it in the bin :S.

If a manager isn't in, ask for the most senior staff member on duty.

Zeroes

HSC
ie, at my work we chuck them in the bin. although we do have a well established online app, and give people directions to it.
This really makes me wonder if I should re-apply online to a couple of places. (Neither had an online application that actually worked)

Kiim2507

HSC
aww, that's not fair. at my work we pass them onto the manager and he throws them in the bin.
Lol well fair enough then :p
I think most staff would pass it on but I still think it's better for the manager to see who you are as you give it to them rather then just being a name on a piece of paper.

That said 99% of franchise/chain stores generally only accept online applications cos the paperwork is far easier and they have to go through a central office (at least for my work they do)

At my work if someone wants to hand in a resume we don't accept it, just direct them to the online app.

HSC
This really makes me wonder if I should re-apply online to a couple of places. (Neither had an online application that actually worked)
I've got both my retail jobs through online apps. Some places are hopeless with online apps (especially Coles Group, they rarely get back to anyone), but I found Woolies and Sanity to be allright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)