Good Books to Read - Build English Skills (1 Viewer)

Sethio

HSC
Hey guys, quick ques. I'm looking for some good books to read related to hsc English or a good read that could help with ideas and things. I know 1 book won't cut it, but if anyone could recommend a few books that are good to read over the next 2-3 years for me (regardless of level to be honest). I'm really strong at analytical, comparative and most of my discursive/persuasive stuff but like I feel like imaginative will kill me if I don't start early. Sometimes I just read good imaginatives and I feel they are interesting (they may be 800 words) but flow smoothly so it feels like (400 words). I want to build this skill.

Also if there are any general tips to improving imaginative writing in general, any ways you guys have practised? I found a relatively simple way for me, was to watch those award-winning short films (5 mins) and create ideas, but it doesn't help with putting pen to paper. I'll also start probably writing drafts/imaginatives from now and just keep them in folders, my old tutor told me how beneficial this is, because you may never use them again but the ideas will just formulate and it will come naturally.

Oh, and also if there is any HSC-related content that would just be good to read early like "All the light we cannot see" or whatever. I honestly don't know much about the experience/content (not claiming to know anything) just looking for some advice.

Anyways, Thanks in Advance!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Hey guys, quick ques. I'm looking for some good books to read related to hsc English or a good read that could help with ideas and things. I know 1 book won't cut it, but if anyone could recommend a few books that are good to read over the next 2-3 years for me (regardless of level to be honest). I'm really strong at analytical, comparative and most of my discursive/persuasive stuff but like I feel like imaginative will kill me if I don't start early. Sometimes I just read good imaginatives and I feel they are interesting (they may be 800 words) but flow smoothly so it feels like (400 words). I want to build this skill.

Also if there are any general tips to improving imaginative writing in general, any ways you guys have practised? I found a relatively simple way for me, was to watch those award-winning short films (5 mins) and create ideas, but it doesn't help with putting pen to paper. I'll also start probably writing drafts/imaginatives from now and just keep them in folders, my old tutor told me how beneficial this is, because you may never use them again but the ideas will just formulate and it will come naturally.

Oh, and also if there is any HSC-related content that would just be good to read early like "All the light we cannot see" or whatever. I honestly don't know much about the experience/content (not claiming to know anything) just looking for some advice.

😻😻😻😻😻

my time to shine

I think I recommended a few books in terms of writing style/really good prose in dms, let me just find it + see if I can add some extra books in that list

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
😻😻😻😻😻

my time to shine

I think I recommended a few books in terms of writing style/really good prose in dms, let me just find it + see if I can add some extra books in that list
book recs:
  • the secret history (donna tartt) - the prose is so so so gorgeous, the creative description of the setting of the novel was so good in the first chapter i was mindblown. the story is also really complex and intriguing, i'll admit it was a bit slow to start but once it got started it was amazing
  • the book thief (markus zusak) - the prose is also really well-done and well-written (esp the imagery, it's pretty), the book is pretty easy to follow and i thought the story was really compelling
  • the remains of the day (kazuo ishiguro) + never let me go (kazuo ishiguro) - not just these two works cos i've read a few others of his and i really liked them, but these are my favourites and also his most famous ones. his prose is a lot more simple and banal with a ton of restraint but he does it in such a way that the emotional hits hard when you get to them so if you're interested in that def read it. i think all of the books he's done are really good at developing first-person narration voices (as well as integrating unreliable narration into it) so it's also pretty good for developing that sort of thing
  • good omens (terry pratchett + neil gaiman) - has an omniscient narrator and a really distinct narrator voice which makes it enjoyable to read and gives a good idea of how to write a third-person omniscient narrator if you're interested in developing narrative voice in imaginatives. the plot is also pretty witty and good-natured and enjoyable. it was a fun read throughout (a kinda fantasy satire take on the biblical end of the world)
  • a gentleman in moscow (amor towles) - one of the most evocative well-written books i've read and one of my favourites, it's multilayered and complex which makes it so intriguing and was def an influence in how i write outside of school ever since i read it and reread it again. it's a historical fiction novel set during the russian revolution + civil war but even if historical fiction is not your cup of tea give it a go bc i thought it was amazing. it's also a very optimistic book with a nice message so that was also a bonus
i have more but these should be a good start

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
reading but also writing consistently in your spare time (optional tip though you don't always have to), so that you can practise writing + being subconsciously inspired by the stuff you read in terms of prose and writing style. even something as simple as describing what the view looks like outside your bedroom window is a good start. reading through and providing feedback on the creative writing of others (like your friends if they let you) is also another thing to do

imo all the light we cannot see and 1984 (both hsc texts in the common module, 1984 especially is teh most-studied text) are pretty approachable books to read outside of school (in fact i think they're more enjoyable when read outside of school tbh). i think 'the stranger' by albert camus is in mod a but i didn't do it, i read it though. it's very absurdist and existentialist and ngl i thought it was a bit weird and a bit hard to read at first but it ended up being a short and good read regardless. and ofc read ishiguro (an artist of the floating world from mod b, not his best book but i still liked it very much)

avoid hag-seed at all costs

WeiWeiMan

HSC

Pig the Pug
Pig the Fibber
Pig the Elf
Diary of a Wimpy Kid 13, The Meltdown
Animal Farm
Captain Underpants

Sethio

HSC
book recs:
  • the secret history (donna tartt) - the prose is so so so gorgeous, the creative description of the setting of the novel was so good in the first chapter i was mindblown. the story is also really complex and intriguing, i'll admit it was a bit slow to start but once it got started it was amazing
  • the book thief (markus zusak) - the prose is also really well-done and well-written (esp the imagery, it's pretty), the book is pretty easy to follow and i thought the story was really compelling
  • the remains of the day (kazuo ishiguro) + never let me go (kazuo ishiguro) - not just these two works cos i've read a few others of his and i really liked them, but these are my favourites and also his most famous ones. his prose is a lot more simple and banal with a ton of restraint but he does it in such a way that the emotional hits hard when you get to them so if you're interested in that def read it. i think all of the books he's done are really good at developing first-person narration voices (as well as integrating unreliable narration into it) so it's also pretty good for developing that sort of thing
  • good omens (terry pratchett + neil gaiman) - has an omniscient narrator and a really distinct narrator voice which makes it enjoyable to read and gives a good idea of how to write a third-person omniscient narrator if you're interested in developing narrative voice in imaginatives. the plot is also pretty witty and good-natured and enjoyable. it was a fun read throughout (a kinda fantasy satire take on the biblical end of the world)
  • a gentleman in moscow (amor towles) - one of the most evocative well-written books i've read and one of my favourites, it's multilayered and complex which makes it so intriguing and was def an influence in how i write outside of school ever since i read it and reread it again. it's a historical fiction novel set during the russian revolution + civil war but even if historical fiction is not your cup of tea give it a go bc i thought it was amazing. it's also a very optimistic book with a nice message so that was also a bonus
i have more but these should be a good start
You are amazing 😍 Thank you! I'll definitely order them right now. Thanks for taking the time to give these. Much Appreciated!

sabito

HSC
to be honest, i think you are better off memorising essays right now for hsc english + practise short answers

suck ur teachers off for internals --> u can start right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)