Going government/comprehensive school after selective high school test? (1 Viewer)

gobear

HSC
Hi folks, I am planning to choose a selective high school for my kid and as the application opens soon and the test March starts next year in 2021.

I am hoping he will do well if i make the 3 choices. But I am considering to make a back up plan as the last resort. I am wondering at the same time, if he doesn't do well, and I need to choose the government school (not really what I want to be honest), how is it done? Do I have to also apply early? If so when? And can I apply it at the same time as doing the selective high school or? For example, I chose the 3 selective and then next year in July, then I am told for all 3, he failed the test and cannot enter. Then during those period, can I start finding the government school say Killara High or Burwood High School etc? I mean I am familiar with going through the selective high school but sure for the comprehensive high school procedures?

PS: Does it need to be catchman area like for primary public school?

Thanks in advabce

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC

You fill out this form and send it to your primary school when your child is in year 6.

Generally there is a catchment rule for high schools but it's not super strict. You can apply to schools outside of your catchment but they may not have spots to offer. Out of catchment spots are given to people that live closest first, so you will have little luck if the school is far away. From your other posts, you live in the Lindfield area so depending on your address your local school might be Killara High, Chatswood High, or even Epping Boys. If you are in the catchment you will automatically get a spot -> https://my.education.nsw.gov.au/school-finder

There is a brand new school called "Lindfield Learning Village" where the UTS Lindfield campus used to be. It does not have a catchment zone yet but prioritises those that live closer to the school. Have a look into that school as well - it looks quite modern.

Just a side note - you won't be able to enrol your son at Burwood as it is a girls school. You have some really good local choices (Killara, Chatswood, Lindfield) so maybe call the local schools and ask if you can go on a tour (might not be able to happen because of COVID).

gobear

HSC
Thank you very much for your reply and info as it is very helpful especially the school in Linfield which I will take a look at
Yeah I will mostly choose the schools that are close but I was just giving as an example. Most likely will be the surroundings like Chatswood HS (which is actually partially selective anyways), Killara HS, Killarney Height HS, Saint IvesHS

So that means I can apply the 3 selective school choices PLUS the 3 comprehensive school at the same time so that when the time comes, I have some options to take. Can I simply say that?
Thank you

Nikolerak

HSC
Thank you very much for your reply and info as it is very helpful especially the school in Linfield which I will take a look at
Yeah I will mostly choose the schools that are close but I was just giving as an example. Most likely will be the surroundings like Chatswood HS (which is actually partially selective anyways), Killara HS, Killarney Height HS, Saint IvesHS

So that means I can apply the 3 selective school choices PLUS the 3 comprehensive school at the same time so that when the time comes, I have some options to take. Can I simply say that?
Thank you
I have heard that, from this year, it is much more difficult to get into an out of area school. The best info will be provided if you call those 3 comprehensive schools and ask regarding their policies.

Kurrison

HSC
Hi folks, I am planning to choose a selective high school for my kid and as the application opens soon and the test March starts next year in 2021.

I am hoping he will do well if i make the 3 choices. But I am considering to make a back up plan as the last resort. I am wondering at the same time, if he doesn't do well, and I need to choose the government school (not really what I want to be honest), how is it done? Do I have to also apply early? If so when? And can I apply it at the same time as doing the selective high school or? For example, I chose the 3 selective and then next year in July, then I am told for all 3, he failed the test and cannot enter. Then during those period, can I start finding the government school say Killara High or Burwood High School etc? I mean I am familiar with going through the selective high school but sure for the comprehensive high school procedures?

PS: Does it need to be catchman area like for primary public school?

Thanks in advabce
Do your child do opportunity class for prepare the selective high schools? There is no if, it is on based how well is your child's academic performance, who knows that your child could get into any selective high school. Like my friend who failed in selective test but got in. I suggest maybe lower fully selective high schools like Girraween or Gosford but it is really up to you. If he failed, but he got more chances for year 8 to 11 entries. Killara, Cherrybrook Tech or Chatswood will be good public school options. But do not come to St Ives because I used go to there, it is alright but some teachers were not that good at that school. Oh well, all the best to your child.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)