Going from year 11 - 12. (1 Viewer)

AbsoluteValue

HSC
If you do MX1 in year 11, and wondering whether to choose MX2, do it.
Don't worry about teachers who keep saying it is hard. In MX2 maths, you learn so many skills that can benefit you a lot, like problem solving skills skills, critical thinking skills, etc...
If you decide to stick with MX1 and not do MX2, you're knowledge will be limited to MX1 content which is just a fraction of what you learn in MX2. MX2 will also expand your knowledge and make other subjects like science seem really easy. Also you will not do the boring adv. maths course and you will benefit from the insane scaling of MX2 which is the highest scaled subject (obviously you have to do well to get the marks).
MX2 is only 8 chapters: Curve Sketching, Complex Numbers, Polynomials, Integration, Conics, Volumes, Mechanics and Harder 3 Unit. You can finish the content of extension 2 in 4 days basically if you do 2 chapters a day 4 hours each but MX2 is not about covering/understanding the content, it is about exposure to relevant questions and to develop your skills to tackle a variety of challenging questions using your skills in maths, it is pretty interesting, each question is like a puzzle (question 7 - 8 (skill based) especially as you can ace 1 - 6 (content based)), once you become good at it, you should enjoy solving these puzzles.

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
You do the 'boring adv maths course' you just don't get tested in the HSC.

It's kinda hard to do ext 1 and 2 if you don't know the 2U stuff.

AbsoluteValue

HSC
Year 11 doesn't count, most students don't take it seriously that's why they think they are "not good at MX1" but once you do MX2, you realise that MX1 is way, way, way easier than you think.
MX2 in my opinion, will help you get a high atar because as I said, it expands you're knowledge, MX2 is not a rote learning course, where students memorise how to solve a question and if they are lucky they get a similar question in the test, MX2 is about understanding everything and developing you problem solving and critical thinking skills in order to get the marks (well, you can learn the content and get 100% for questions 1 - 6 (75%) and end up with a 95 ATAR) but that's what average students get, you wanna distinguish your self but solving the monster question 8 ! Also, if you get 62 as a raw mark, I believe it scales to 91... But you can't rely on scaling, you wanna do your best.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You do realise when you say "EX2" some people (including myself) would think: "English Extension 2", right?

Use MX1/2... I'd say.

---

Also I got 59/120 raw in the 2010 HSC and that was moderated to 83. Which was nice.

AbsoluteValue

HSC
You do realise when you say "EX2" some people (including myself) would think: "English Extension 2", right?

Use MX1/2... I'd say.

---

Also I got 59/120 raw in the 2010 HSC and that was moderated to 83. Which was nice.
Fixed.
Considering this is the MX2 forum I thought EX2 was irrelevant. MX>EX.
And yeah, I know a guy who go exactly 59/120 and it scaled to 91... Imagine what you could get if you get a 100/120. You can't go wrong with MX2 even if you aren't that good at maths :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You do realise that 59/120 does not mean 'isn't that good at maths'. There is a bit of work to be done after say... complex numbers in question 2, graphs and integration - which are perhaps the 'easiest' marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)