GM Foods/Animals (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Having just watched an interesting and balanced doco on ABC called "Animal Pharm" (go watch on internet), I'm curious to know - do you agree with/are comfortable with genetic modification? If not, why not?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
As long it can feed the mass global population (thanks India and China for starving Africa) then we'll be fine. And if it taste the same, I'm all for it. :D

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
chicky_pie said:
As long it can feed the mass global population (thanks India and China for starving Africa) then we'll be fine. And if it taste the same, I'm all for it. :D
It does. And in the case of, say, GM salmon, the transgens are sterile, and can't "contaminate" natural populations with their gene.

GM rice enriched with bacteria and daffodil genes to give it karotenes can solve vitamin A deficiency deaths in poor Asia. BUT HEY IT'S ILLEGAL

boris

Banned
HSC
oh man, ill write a reply to tomorrow

*esplodes from the genetics overload*

HSC
nope. GM crops developed to resist microbes and pests have made 'super bugs' that are resistant to the genes in the crops which is meant to kill the pest. not good

boris

Banned
HSC
lil lelu said:
nope. GM crops developed to resist microbes and pests have made 'super bugs' that are resistant to the genes in the crops which is meant to kill the pest. not good
Yeah and you know what else has created bugs that are resistant to current methods of pest destruction?

Our modern pesticides and our over reliance on them.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Also, people who are "against" GM: pretty much everything you eat has been genetically modified sometime in the past 10,000 years :)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm for it. It'll be awesome.

We can make corn with the properties of velcro, so we can catch whatever it is that's been making those crop circles.

But then the spaceship would have to have the corresponding velcro so...

johony

HSC
I'm all for it. With Climate Change and the World's population rapidly increasing, i don't believe in 10-20 years time we'll be able to feed everyone without GM.

boris

Banned
HSC
but WHAT ABOUT THE MIND CONTROL?

IF THEY CONTROL OUR FOOD THEYLL CONTROL OUR BRAINZ

/end insane hippy rant

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
I reckon they should design plants that will absorb all that extra heat and carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I'm somewhat cautious, obviously fairly rigorous oversight is needed... We don't want to take some negative aspect of a gene when we're trying to get some sort of an advantage (i.e. we take something that is toxic/causes allergy when we take the gene that also gives better resistance to cold temperatures or something).

motman440

HSC
lil lelu said:
this is no different to spraying a crop with insecticide (which was the original fix to the problem) GM crops are economically and environmentally more friendly.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Stevo. said:
28 Days Later
I spend about 2.5% of my time mentally working out zombie escape routes that I could use in locations that I commonly visit. We're fucked.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
KFunk said:
I spend about 2.5% of my time mentally working out zombie escape routes that I could use in locations that I commonly visit. We're fucked.
The plan is always- jump in car and head for the hills.

Because the opening scene of 28 weeks later made me lose my faith in houses.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Clearly Americans, Russians and the Swiss will be the only people well equipped to deal with a zombie outbreak. Everyone else is fucked. Unless you start making fortress neighbourhoods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)